Your Age Group & Interests

BeachOfEden

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! I am 35 too! I thought I was the only Progressive here under age 45. :) I live in Ventura Califoria.

Yeah? Well I used to be under age 45, and at one time I trusted no one older than 30! ;)

But... now I am 53, live in Florida, and I enjoy off-road biking (haven't found any mountains around here :( ), kayaking, fishing, volleyball, and theological/philosophical discussions.

I'm a Process Theist - and I just joined this forum. Anymore of us PTs here?

I'm a Process Theist - and I just joined this forum. Anymore of us PTs here?

Depends on my mood and what I had for breakfast. Generally, my personal theology draws on lots of stuff, so sometimes yes, sometimes no. Never assume that I will be consistent.

So, sometimes you look at the world and see interrelated occasions of experience, and at other times you see bits of matter? Yeah, me too.

Location: Colorado, U.S.A., North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, ? Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy...

Interests: Lover of abundant life in God's Kingdom.

I enjoy: spending time with family; running: music (playing and listening); clowing and other holy foolishness; keeping up with current events (news junkie); theology; inter- and intra-religious dialogue; promoting "progressive/alternative/ radical/counter-cultural Christianity"; and offering (and receiving) gentle wisdom and insight.

Favorite Bands: IndigoGirls; Elvis Costello; Billy Bragg; They Might Be Giants; Trip Shakespeare (aka Semi-Sonic; The Flops); The Bare Naked Ladies; Toad TheWet Sprocket; Sly & Family Stone; Poi Dog Pondering; The Jam (aka The Style Council); U2; Stevie Ray Vaughn; Santana

Favorite Organizations: Amnesty Int'l; Pax Christi; FOR; AFSC; The Interfaith Alliance; BreadForTheWorld; The Center for Progressive Christianity; Americans United for Separation of Church & State.

Favorite Books: Good Goats:Healing our ImageofGod (Linn); The God We Never Knew (Borg);The Powers That Be (Wink); Rich Christians (Sider); Grace & Responsibility (Cobb); Unveiling Empire: Reading Relations Then & Now; & The Church Before Christianity (Howard-Brook); Liberals & Other Born-Again Believers (Geis)

Favorite Quotes: "Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." M.Meade;

"Though we may not think alike, may we not love alike? If your heart is as my heart, give me your hand!" J.Wesley;

James 1:27

PantaRhea, please tell me how you got the "quote" to be followed by a name and a date. I can't figure out how to do that.

Nope. Ain't gonna do it. If I tell ya I'll lose that little something my pride is being supported by right now. I know something you don't know. :P

Welllll... ok. I clicked on that little "quote" button in the upper right corner of your message. <_<

I have communicated with Natural deists in the past and enjoyed it a great deal. They taught me some true facts about what our founding fathers REALLY believed.

Location: Colorado, U.S.A., North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, ? Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy...

Interests: Lover of abundant life in God's Kingdom.

I agree!

I enjoy: Walking/hiking on the beach or nature trails or riding my beach cruiser bike every day for fun and health. Watching Suring. theology; inter- and intra-religious dialogue; promoting "progressive/alternative/ radical/counter-cultural Christianity"; Love talking on Beliefnet, helping animals. I have been a big supporters and helper for the SPAN network which helps spay and neuter pets. I love gardening with tropical plants. I love palm trees!

Style: casual beach - Roxy gal t-s, jeans, baord shorts, Vans sneakers, flip-flops, surf hooded sweatshirt, retro 70's track jackets, beaded and wood tribal surf necklaces with Hibcius flowers.

Favorite Music: 60's and 70's folk rock, Led Zep,Roots reggae, funk/disco, New wave, some techno/dance music. World music.

Favorite: TV Shows: American Dreams, and HGTV.

Favorite Movies of all Time: The first 3 orginal Star wars movies, Indiana jones 1 and 3. Lady Hawk, Pirartes of the Carribean.

Favorite Organizations: The Network for Religious Tolernace,Earth Ministry; The Center for Progressive Christianity, PAWS, SPAN, NWF.

Favorite Books: When God Becomes A Drug, What Paul Really Said About Women, Replenish The Earth, To Care For The Earth - A Call For Green Theology, Book of the Hopi, Black Dawn, Bright Day.

Favorite Scriptures: Galatains 3:28; The Peaceable Kingdom Scripture.

Member of: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (yes, I'm a Mormon), Amnesty International, Médecins Sans Frontières and my local gym

Other things: I'm scared of spiders and I'm a total snob about music

BeachofEden, I'll be 32 in January. I think Jeep is 85 (I read his profile once).

All,

I wrote a little bit about myself in my profile a while back. The only thing that's really changed is that I no longer attend the TCPC UMC church. Their Christian Ed program was not what we wanted for our kids, so we joined the big mainstream UMC in our city (Norman, Oklahoma). We love our new church, but it's is an adjustment. There is a much larger spectrum in belief at this church. My wife and I are growing from the challenge of worshipping with liberals, moderates, and conservatives alike.

I've used the handle of "fatherman" for years. It doesn't have any theological meaning. It comes from a book that I read when my wife and I were expecting our first child: Pregnant Fathers. In the book, the term was intended to encourage men to redefine fatherhood for themselves as an integral part of their manhood. It just kind of stuck with me.

I've been on this forum since before the new forum went up (since maybe 2001 or so?). It's too bad we lost all that good archive material. Beautiful and wise things have been written here.

Peace,

Fatherman

Hello everyone!

I'm 36, married and female.

I live in northern Utah, near the Rocky Mountains.

I'm new to this websight, which surprises me, considering I've thought of myself as a progressive Christian for about 5 years.

I don't belong to a local church. I'm considering the UCC or the Episcopalian church. It's difficult to find a progressive church in the area that I live.

My favorite religious authors are Marcus Borg, Matthew Fox and Thomas Moore (the Jungian psychologist, not the poet). :D

Aletheia

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I thought I'd pull this out from under the archive, for the newer folks (like Tired, Darby, James, myself, etc. etc.)

I'm a senior citizen of the group (56 ;-)). I live in NM. I love animals and have 2 cats, a Corgi, and a saltwater tank. I do a lot of dog related activities (agility, etc.), and my dog covets ArmadilloUCC's sheep-- (though not his manservant or maidservant :-)). I would snorkel all the time if I could that's why I moved to NM!!! :-) Anyway I do like it out here. I'm a special ed. teacher, and trying, not really that successfully to do a private tutoring practice with mostly dyslexic kids.

I go to a UCC church like I did in Chicago (was there most of my life).

--des

Hey all - it's interesting to read about people that you think you have guessed something about! :P

I'm 37, married, 2 kids, 3 dogs, 2 rats, lots of fish. I spend an inordinate amount of time watching juvenile sports, and as I love nature, I have turned our front yard into a forest.

I'm in TN, attend an EPC church with a wide variety of "types" of believers, and a huge heart for social issues.

I enjoy hiking, yoga, camping, reading (theology (a mixed bag - Lewis, Yancey, Borg, Merton, Moore, Thich Nhat Hanh, Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa), sci-fi, mystery), and discussing theological/religious/spiritual questions.

I am 37, married for 9 years TODAY! (Taking my lovely wife out to dinner/movie Saturday night). We have 2 sons, 5 and 4 from Guatemala, and a new 7 week old beautiful daughter. And 2 dogs--a lab/terrier mix, and a blue-tick hound. Needless to day, our house is a zoo, but lots of fun too. Sometimes my wife and I pass out from exhaustion at the end of the day, but we are very thankful for how the Lord has blessed us!

We attend a non-denom, evangelical church in Charlotte, NC. I'm very drawn to the poor, esp. those in the Latino culture, and have made several trips to Guatemala, Mexico, and South Texas (where I lived for 2 years). Might be going to Romania in the spring to visit some missionaries.

I enjoy running, the outdoors, home improvement (I'm in the real estate/construction business), reading (recently--Tony Campolo, Lewis, Jim Cymbala, others). I've been upfront from the start that I'm pretty conservative in my beliefs, but joined this site to dialogue, learn, discuss, be challenged, etc. The only problem--some of you guys are just way too smart for me--I start drooling about halfway through some of your in-depth posts--and I studied engineering in college! :lol:

I didn't list my zoo in my intro, so what they heck, I'll do it here.

I have 5 cats: Circe, Calypso, Chakakan, Sebastian and Bogan.

I recently adopted a cockatiel and named him Luna, as he is all grey, like the moon.

I also have 8 finches.

Cynthia - you have rats?! :o I used to have two chocolate brown fancy rats that I saved from being snake food, and named them Heebie and Jeebie. They were awesome. They both got cancer repeatedly and so I eventually had them put to sleep. :( If I could find two more female rats like them, I'd get them in a heart beat!

Aletheia

Aletheia - PetCo has fancy rats... about $6. We're on pair # 3! For everybody else (who's making faces and shuddering :D )- they have a bad rap. Rats are actually the sweetest and cleanest rodents. They don't ever bite - even when injured. They even interact with the dogs and take care of each other when one is sick. Only about a 2 yr. lifespan ... we tell the kids that God really loves rats, that's why they don't stay here very long :>.

It sounds like many us would feel quite at home in each other's houses, what with our zoos!!

BTW, with a saltwater tank, I have the most critters. However, of course, most of the critters are not sentient. (snails, corals, shrimp, hermit crabs, etc.) Isn't so lovely at teh moment either. :-)

Darby congrats are in order!

Don't worry about feeling intellectually challenged. I feel that way too sometimes. If I could understand a third of what people are saying sometimes. :-)

Anyway, I feel pretty happy with our little board here.

--des

Hi all:

I'm 49 and living in a small town in Alberta. I'm married, two kids, a boy just turned 11 and a girl 9.

I returned to Christianity about two years ago after many years of questing. I am attending our local United Church of Canada.

My interests are my family, reading, the outdoors, politics, woodworking, and messing about with computers and electronics.

I've just finished reading "The Heart of Christianity" by Marcus Borg and have started on "The Pagan Christ" by Tom Harpur.

We have 3 dogs and several cats.

Politically I discribe myself as a Christian anarcho-libertarian social democrat :rolleyes: .

Spiritually I am in a continual process of discovery (may it never end!).

• 3 weeks later...

Age----34

Location---- from Tx, now live in chatham county, NC. truly God's country

work----caring for all my dogs,sheep,chickens,turkeys,ducks and mule

Family---life partner and 3 kids

music-- Indigo Girls,Doc Watson,Allsion KRaus,Joan Armatrading,TRacy Chapman,NAncy Griffin,Sweet Honey in the Rock,PP&M,Pete Seeger,Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, Erasure,the Cure, U2,Beatles,Aretha

Books--- The Secret Garden, Harry Potter (especially Prisoner of Azkaban), The Killer Angels/Gods and Generals/The Last Full Measure, Shelby Foote's Civil War series, TS Elliot's Old Possums Book of Practical Cats poetry,Patricia Cornwells's Scarpetta novels, Yancey's Soul Survivor.

Loves--- REading, Pottery, my animals,my partner, homemade soup,homemade bread, Guiness stout,herb collecting

Missed this thread when it came up earlier; I agree that it's nice to read about everyone.

I'm soon to be 46, in a committed relationship with live-in partner. We are planning a marriage sometime in the next year or two. Neither of us has children.

We also have a bit of a zoo here, with five small dogs, all of whom are spoiled beyond reason and frequently demanding of special favors :D . Of course, they usually get what they demand.

I am semi-retired; partner has a small business and I work a bit to promote it, but it's nothing like a full time job. Mainly I do upkeep to his website and post flyers for advertising locally.

Our life here is pretty simple, by design. Many of our activities revolve around our religious centers-- that would be the church we attend and the zen center that I attend-- and we're active with property matters at church, meaning that when something needs to be painted or nailed up, they call us :)

I sing in the choir, and both of us used to be professional, performing musicians.

My interests include zen and christianity, sociology, psychology and cooking (though I am a "pincha this, pincha that" kind of cook). I love to read, but mainly non-fiction. And I spend way too much time on the internet.