Jesus - By Marcus J. Borg

Guest wayfarer2k

Guest wayfarer2k

Would anyone here like to go through Borg's new book, "Jesus", in a chapter-by-chapter discussion?

Borg's "Jesus" book focuses on how Jesus has been scene down through the past 2000 years, focusing on images that have been (and continue to be) popular in Christianity. Being a Christian progressive, Borg tends to side with Jesus as a Jewish mystic who called for a religious/political revolution in his day. But he also discusses many other views of Jesus and helps us to understand what images still work (or don't work) for our modern senses and culture.

If anyone would like to go through this book, let me know and we can post a schedule (after Christmas would be good).

bill

Would anyone here like to go through Borg's new book, "Jesus", in a chapter-by-chapter discussion?

Borg's "Jesus" book focuses on how Jesus has been scene down through the past 2000 years, focusing on images that have been (and continue to be) popular in Christianity. Being a Christian progressive, Borg tends to side with Jesus as a Jewish mystic who called for a religious/political revolution in his day. But he also discusses many other views of Jesus and helps us to understand what images still work (or don't work) for our modern senses and culture.

If anyone would like to go through this book, let me know and we can post a schedule (after Christmas would be good).

bill

I think you are talking about "Jesus, uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a religious revolutionary", and I would be up for it,if you are. It is one of my all time favorite books and I would love to discuss it. It and "The Left Hand of God" by Rabbi Michael Lerner really turned my head right around. Jim

Guest wayfarer2k
I think you are talking about "Jesus, uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a religious revolutionary", and I would be up for it,if you are. It is one of my all time favorite books and I would love to discuss it. It and "The Left Hand of God" by Rabbi Michael Lerner really turned my head right around. Jim

Yes, Jim, that's the one. Borg (or his publisher) have a penchant for long subtitles. :) I'm about halfway through the book but would enjoy hearing other's thoughts and contributions concerning the topic of Jesus. If we could get at least one other person here to join us, that would be great.

I've heard of Lerner but haven't read anything by him yet. I'll see if I can pick up the book. Perhaps you could facilitate the discussion on it when we are ready?

bill

Yes, Jim, that's the one. Borg (or his publisher) have a penchant for long subtitles. :) I'm about halfway through the book but would enjoy hearing other's thoughts and contributions concerning the topic of Jesus. If we could get at least one other person here to join us, that would be great.

I've heard of Lerner but haven't read anything by him yet. I'll see if I can pick up the book. Perhaps you could facilitate the discussion on it when we are ready?

bill

Sure I could facilitate a discussion on "The Left Hand of God'. I have read it a couple of times and went through one disucussion group last summer with it. It is the main book for a group called "The Network of Spiritual Progressives" so there should be lots of material out there on it.

Let's do "Jesus" by Borg first though. It is so good and a 100% match with this site.

Guest wayfarer2k
Sounds like an interesting discussion.

I don't own that particular book by Borg since it looked much like the others I have

by him, but maybe I could join in a little. Thanks

Yes, Rivianna, it reads a good deal like an update to "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" with more indepth analysis, of course. Borg's collaboration with NT Wright on "The Meaning of Jesus" also would have alot of similar insight.

Seeing as at least 3 people are interested in considering this book together, I'll go ahead and work up a few "conversation starters" from the beginning chapters. But please feel free to discuss anything from the relevant chapters that interests you, speaks to you, or even concerns you or ticks you off. I like "open and honest" dialogue. :)

We'll start shortly after the holidays. That will allow those who don't have the book to aquire it, if need be and the rest of us to review.

Looking forward to the conversation!

bill

Archived