What Happens To Old Churches?

Live in a small provincial town - centuries old church - in centre of town - falling down - costs a fortune - falling numbers - falling contributions - mature age to elderly congregation - get the picture.

My idea is to turn it into a monestry for contemplatives. I'm serious.

Thoughts anyone?

I think it is an excellent idea. My husband is a contemplative (if I understand your meaning). He needs places to get away to that aren't too far away. Something like that would be good. Many monasteries allow "regular" people to come for retreats, often free of charge (many do freewill donations).

Live in a small provincial town - centuries old church - in centre of town - falling down - costs a fortune - falling numbers - falling contributions - mature age to elderly congregation - get the picture.

My idea is to turn it into a monestry for contemplatives. I'm serious.

Thoughts anyone?

I love this idea! I certainly wouldn't want the old church to be torn down; and a monastery for contemplatives seems like a wonderful way to preserve it! I wish there was such a place near me! :)

Thank you for your responses. It's an idea I praying about and there are some obstacles as you might imagine. But I was also encouraged by a radio interview I heard this morning about a women who stayed at some churches where accommodation is avialable. She spoke how it is but a few churches they have such facilities. Maybe the 'aging' of the demographics might make the venture worthwhile and utililise available resources - like empty churches.

Archived