What I Do In My Spare Time...

October's Autumn

OA, You obviously have a gift! No wonder you get enjoyment out of using it! Thanks for posting. Any thoughts on why it is the newborn stage that is so satisfying to sculpt? Playing keyboard and singing is the way I de-stress and lift up my life to God in my spare time. Also, I have found that volunteering to help disadvantaged children at their school has added meaning to my life. Anyone else want to add what they do?

I didn't actually sculpt him. I bought a kit which is unpainted and put layers of a heat set paint. After the painting is done I root the hair by hand (mohair). The last step is to assemble. Sorry, I wasn't more specific in my original post!

This little one is a preemie. He about 16 inches long.

• 8 months later...

Hi folks,

This may be a little offbeat for this forum…My question is about an art website (non commercial) I’ve worked on for a few years – it’s partly feminist humor, partly a serious attempt to convey the Sophia side of Jesus--

http://klwcollages.com

In order to construct a recognizable narrative of the gospel, I’ve used traditional paintings, which --even though the “savior” is female – tend to look evangelical. That I don’t want, and it has a bad effect on my psyche just fiddling with them (sounds crazy but true). It also shouldn’t come across as political (I couldn’t be happier that Obama won the election). It probably can’t include images from other faiths because Christianity is the only path I’m familiar enough with -- but if the series could show a more progressive spin somehow, I’d love to hear ideas.

thanks,

Karen

• 5 months later...
it’s partly feminist humor, partly a serious attempt to convey the Sophia side of Jesus--

Great work. Fun pictures

Scourge is the most powerful image.

I wonder how the pictures would be received if the parts weren't played by stars but just by women.

Dutch

it’s partly feminist humor, partly a serious attempt to convey the Sophia side of Jesus--

I sent the link to my wife. Her comment -

fun - Veronica Lake on the water and donna Reed blessing the children... I think there was some truth to thinking Shirley Temple as a savior during the depression.

Dutch,

Thanks-- I appreciate it when the collages are seen as poetic/playful rather than proselytizing.

Lately I’ve been painting acrylic portraits of Star Trek characters with quotes.

Dutch,

I paint from the original series mostly. There are a few of them behind me in the photo a friend took today which I just added to the end of the website.

Glad to hear your daughter is a Trekker!

btw- not trying to sell anything on line. I keep the collages up mainly because a bunch of them are linked to the Textweek art index.

Archived