Gospel Of Thomas Saying 114

MOW

Awhile back we had a discussion on the "Assassin parable "in the Gospel of Thomas. In the course of that long thread someone brought up the somewhat disturbing saying 114 that concludes that gospel.

Saying 114

Simon Peter said to them"Let Mary leave us,because women are not worthy of life"

Jesus said" Look, I shall lead her so that I can make her male in order that she also may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every women who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven."

As disturbing as this passage is, is it possible that 1900 years before Jung ,Jesus, (or the writer of this noncanonical gospel ) conceived the idea of the Animus i.e. the unconscious masculine side of a women's personality. And talking about the importance of women embracing and acknowledging this elusive part of her psyche.

I think the male counterpart of this is called the Anima.

MOW

Awhile back we had a discussion on the "Assassin parable "in the Gospel of Thomas. In the course of that long thread someone brought up the somewhat disturbing saying 114 that concludes that gospel.

Saying 114

Simon Peter said to them"Let Mary leave us,because women are not worthy of life"

Jesus said" Look, I shall lead her so that I can make her male in order that she also may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every women who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of heaven."

As disturbing as this passage is, is it possible that 1900 years before Jung ,Jesus, (or the writer of this noncanonical gospel ) conceived the idea of the Animus i.e. the unconscious masculine side of a women's personality. And talking about the importance of women embracing and acknowledging this elusive part of her psyche.

I think the male counterpart of this is called the Anima.

MOW

You are correct. In fact, Jung drew many of his ideas from Gnosticism. Technically, the Anima is the feminine principle present in the male collective unconscious and the animus is the masculine principle as present in the female collective unconscious. Bringing these to consciousness is an important part of Jung's psychology.

And ...

"The first edition of a text found at Nag Hammadi was from the Jung Codex, a partial translation of which appeared in Cairo in 1956, and a single extensive facsimile edition was planned. Due to the difficult political circumstances in Egypt, individual tracts followed from the Cairo and Zurich collections only slowly."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_Hammadi_library

Thanks for your input minisocal.

When we were discussing the Gospel of Thomas, a couple of years ago, I wasn't as familiar with Jung and the animus and the anima etc. That made saying 114 kind of strange and I didn't know what to make of it then.

MOW

MOW,

Also from the Gospel of Thomas. This seems to parallel saying 114.

http://www.reversespins.com/gnosticgospels.html

In their words ...

The next quote rivals the best in metaphysical riddles:

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

Your opening comment stimulated my curiosity.

minsocal

:)

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

Yes , that's a good one. I'd forgotten about that saying from Thomas.

I guess just like one has to address or acknowledge the opposite sex part in the personality according to saying 114 , this saying may have something to do with the "shadow" or something similar. I liked tinythinkers post on another thread where he said that Mother Theresa was able to do the work that she did ,because she recognized a "Hitler" within herself.

I guess if we don't acknowledge these secret parts of ourselves they will indeed destroy us . Former Governer Elliot Spitzer and others could be examples of this.

MOW

Archived