Thinking About A New Progressive Christian Church

David

Time for me to go back into retreat mode. Sorry to miss the new conversation on one of my favorite topics, epistemology. I will be interested in reading this thread as well as catching up on other conversations.

I hope to do some thinking about starting a Progressive Christian Church in the Sacramento area. There are no TCPC affiliated churches in Sacramento. There are several UCC churches in town, but not one that would associate with TCPC (which for me shows the main problem with the UCC). There is a lot of potential in Sacramento and Sacramento represents that potential in other places.

Maybe some thinking on this will persuade me that I am not destined to help with this. But if no one thinks about it then it will not get done. Maybe we can talk more later.

Time for me to go back into retreat mode. Sorry to miss the new conversation on one of my favorite topics, epistemology. I will be interested in reading this thread as well as catching up on other conversations.

I hope to do some thinking about starting a Progressive Christian Church in the Sacramento area. There are no TCPC affiliated churches in Sacramento. There are several UCC churches in town, but not one that would associate with TCPC (which for me shows the main problem with the UCC). There is a lot of potential in Sacramento and Sacramento represents that potential in other places.

Maybe some thinking on this will persuade me that I am not destined to help with this. But if no one thinks about it then it will not get done. Maybe we can talk more later.

The posts on the epistomology thread caught my attention also. My UCC Church is affiliated with TCPC, and comes from the Congregationalist background. I am not certain if this makes much difference. I am down the coast from you in ultra conservative Orange County. My roots are in the Evangelical and Reformed Church (Wisconsin variety) that merged into the UCC in 1957.

The posts on the epistomology thread caught my attention also. My UCC Church is affiliated with TCPC, and comes from the Congregationalist background. I am not certain if this makes much difference. I am down the coast from you in ultra conservative Orange County. My roots are in the Evangelical and Reformed Church (Wisconsin variety) that merged into the UCC in 1957.

I am familiar with Pastor Jerry Stinson at First Congregational in Long Beach. He has been active in the Jesus Seminar and I heard him talk about his church there. I was impressed with him and his church (I recommend their mission statement and Pastor Stinson's statement on Liberal Theology as excellent resources).

I am sure there are other good churches in Southern California and I would consider moving there, but I just could never become a Dodgers fan. Now the Angels are obviously a religious team and I never really liked the A's. But being an Angel is probably reaching too high for me.

I am familiar with Pastor Jerry Stinson at First Congregational in Long Beach. He has been active in the Jesus Seminar and I heard him talk about his church there. I was impressed with him and his church (I recommend their mission statement and Pastor Stinson's statement on Liberal Theology as excellent resources).

I am sure there are other good churches in Southern California and I would consider moving there, but I just could never become a Dodgers fan. Now the Angels are obviously a religious team and I never really liked the A's. But being an Angel is probably reaching too high for me.

I've been to First Congregational in Long Beach a number of times. Very nice old style Church with new education facilities. I belong to Irvine United Congregational Church. This is the Church that Pastor Fred Plummer helped establish. I follow the Dodgers off and on. I'm still loyal to Wisconsin teams and am an avid Green Bay Packer cheesehead.

Fred Plummer gives me hope that starting new Progressive Churches is possible (by the way he is not the FredP from this message board).

Well our conversations just go to show that people who go to Dodger games and Giant fans can still talk to each other. The Packers were inspirational with Farve. I’m not sure they have another savior on the bench. But when you are a Niner fan most any QB will be an improvement.

Oh no! I was really hoping to hear your input :( Well, drop in and say something if you can/want to! I'd love to hear your opinion :)

Good luck! Keep us posted! :)

Archived