Why Are You Leaving?

minsocal

Good question. I suspect that “the group” that created such wonderful conversation here in the past also probably miss that special time that they had with each other. I think that the conversations between AlethiaRivers and FredP are worth publishing somewhere. FredP left first and AR left later after she and I had some words about “gatekeeping”. I got the impression that FredP was frustrated with some of the postings. Anyway the way I see it those two drew others that were attracted by the quality of the posts (but maybe that is just me showing my preferences).

But I have noticed something else happening. I think that the blogs have become very popular and I see many valuable conversations going on in the blogs. I have several favorites that I keep going back to. Blogs don’t have the “community” feel that a message board can have but I think blogs have the potential to have better conversations because you have one person who remains responsible for the conversation. If that one person is good then the conversations tend to be good. I am thinking that people that may have posted here before are now doing blogs (just one example is Mystical Seeker who has one of the better blogs going--anyone know of AR’s blog or FredP’s blog?).

P.S.

minsocal,

You had posted something about "intuitive moral emotions" and then lately brought up Jung. I would appreciate it if you would start a new thread with some of your thinking. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Good question. I suspect that “the group” that created such wonderful conversation here in the past also probably miss that special time that they had with each other. I think that the conversations between AlethiaRivers and FredP are worth publishing somewhere. FredP left first and AR left later after she and I had some words about “gatekeeping”. I got the impression that FredP was frustrated with some of the postings. Anyway the way I see it those two drew others that were attracted by the quality of the posts (but maybe that is just me showing my preferences).

But I have noticed something else happening. I think that the blogs have become very popular and I see many valuable conversations going on in the blogs. I have several favorites that I keep going back to. Blogs don’t have the “community” feel that a message board can have but I think blogs have the potential to have better conversations because you have one person who remains responsible for the conversation. If that one person is good then the conversations tend to be good. I am thinking that people that may have posted here before are now doing blogs (just one example is Mystical Seeker who has one of the better blogs going--anyone know of AR’s blog or FredP’s blog?).

P.S.

minsocal,

You had posted something about "intuitive moral emotions" and then lately brought up Jung. I would appreciate it if you would start a new thread with some of your thinking. Thanks.

David,

Sorry it did not work out.

The format here makes me too uncomfortable. Would have loved to pursue Tillich. At least we will do this in my church discussion group. I will move my future discussion out of Dialogue and Discussion to Progressive Christianity.

minsocal

Some people leave. Some people leave and come back. Some people leave but still “lurk” in the background. Some get hurt. Some get frustrated. Some misunderstand. Some are misunderstood. Some people won’t talk to other people. Some people won’t talk at all. Some are on a mission and will stay or leave based upon that mission. Some just like the idea that someone who understands is listening and will stay or leave depending upon the understanding. Some keep posting in hopes that anyone will listen and they may never leave.

Frankly it is a terrible place to actually learn something, to actually communicate or to actually build community. But this may be the best we got for some. So it is sad when someone goes because this is not a great place to learn, to communicate or build community. It may be sadder that people do not make the effort to join the conversation because they don’t see any potential. But with all that said it can be a fun place to spend some time. From time to time something real happens.

Soon it will be my time to leave again. I can properly be accused of “manipulation” in that I will use this message board in an attempt to make a point. Most recently I have used DavidK. Some people do not like that. So I am sure some don’t want to talk to me. So when I leave maybe they will talk.

My time to leave is because I have found a bit of heaven in the wilderness on Vancouver Island. No computer. No power. No phone. It forces me to slow down and take notice. For the last several years I have talked to a blue jay who comes for the peanuts and lands on my shoulder. Not too complicated, just miraculous. I forget about many things including this message board. But I remember a lot.

I may then come back. And others may leave.

Some people leave. Some people leave and come back. Some people leave but still “lurk” in the background. Some get hurt. Some get frustrated. Some misunderstand. Some are misunderstood. Some people won’t talk to other people. Some people won’t talk at all. Some are on a mission and will stay or leave based upon that mission. Some just like the idea that someone who understands is listening and will stay or leave depending upon the understanding. Some keep posting in hopes that anyone will listen and they may never leave.

Frankly it is a terrible place to actually learn something, to actually communicate or to actually build community. But this may be the best we got for some. So it is sad when someone goes because this is not a great place to learn, to communicate or build community. It may be sadder that people do not make the effort to join the conversation because they don’t see any potential. But with all that said it can be a fun place to spend some time. From time to time something real happens.

Soon it will be my time to leave again. I can properly be accused of “manipulation” in that I will use this message board in an attempt to make a point. Most recently I have used DavidK. Some people do not like that. So I am sure some don’t want to talk to me. So when I leave maybe they will talk.

My time to leave is because I have found a bit of heaven in the wilderness on Vancouver Island. No computer. No power. No phone. It forces me to slow down and take notice. For the last several years I have talked to a blue jay who comes for the peanuts and lands on my shoulder. Not too complicated, just miraculous. I forget about many things including this message board. But I remember a lot.

I may then come back. And others may leave.

Two years ago, my sister went through a series of transformations. She would go on walks along a nearby river and a crane would always walk with her. Just her, not others. She is doing much better now.

minsocal

Archived