Liberation Theology--the Theological Discipline

grampawombat

Approach the Bible with a “hermeneutic of suspicion.” This means that how we read the Bible depends on our own background and biases. Therefore we always have to be aware of the possibility of “spin” when we, or others, are interpreting it.

This leads to the “hermeneutic circle.” It goes something like this: 1) we read a passage from the Bible, having already engaged in a specific action. 2) Based on our own perspective (see above) we interpret what we have read. 3) Based on that interpretation we engage in some new action with regard to other people. 4) Based on that experience we return to the Bible with fresh insights.

This partially answers a question I raised concerning Process Theology in a different discussion. This has happened to me. When I first read some of the teachings of Jesus, I sort of said "huh?", I don't agree. Later, I went back to those same teachings and went "ahhh", got it! The focus is on what you find at a particular time, not fixed "dogma".

So I read this and immediately started thinking of the passage in the Bible where Jesus was talking about giving to Ceasar what is Ceasar's... I wonder why? How is our economy globally? Hmmm?

I remember a time not to long ago here in America we were all doing pretty good, striving to get ahead and in control of our resources, today it seems that our resources are controlling us...

The ministry of Jesus was not in support of the organized religion and the dogma of that day, and so today we see the repeat of history all over again.

What is of our economy that is of GOD? What of our leader and the blessings of his leadership? Are we better or worse off?

I see trouble in our future and the storm is growing...

The is a cure and that requires change...

Archived