Val Webb

Wayseer

Val Webb is an Australian Theologian living and working in US and Australia - Augsburg College, Minneapolis and Whitley College in Melbourne.

"Like Catching Water In A Net' (2007) is an exploration of human attempts to describe the Divine. Webb cruises over all the World's religions and draws from an enormous wealth of material - on one page I counted five separate quotes. She laces the material with events from her own personal experiences and I suspect this book represents her own spiritual journey thus far. As a result, this is a not a 'feel good' book - it's far too challenging for those addicted to their comfort zone. For those willing to risk the journey they will be rewarded with a rich tapestry of work that seeks to collate human attempts to decribe what it is that drives us all. Quoting from Henry David Thoreau, 'With all your science, can you tell me how it is, and whence it is, that light comes into the soul' (2007: 5). This is a work that forces the reader to think - you won't finish it in a night even though the monograph only stretches some 230 pages - it is dense at times and I found I just had to put it aside for a couple of days to catch my breath. Never the less, there is gold in these pages for those on the spiritual, as opposed to religious, quest.

I won't tell you how it all ends - not that there is an ending as such - rather, there is a hint at what may lie ahead.

Val Webb is an Australian Theologian living and working in US and Australia - Augsburg College, Minneapolis and Whitley College in Melbourne.

"Like Catching Water In A Net' (2007) is an exploration of human attempts to describe the Divine. Webb cruises over all the World's religions and draws from an enormous wealth of material - on one page I counted five separate quotes. She laces the material with events from her own personal experiences and I suspect this book represents her own spiritual journey thus far. As a result, this is a not a 'feel good' book - it's far too challenging for those addicted to their comfort zone. For those willing to risk the journey they will be rewarded with a rich tapestry of work that seeks to collate human attempts to decribe what it is that drives us all. Quoting from Henry David Thoreau, 'With all your science, can you tell me how it is, and whence it is, that light comes into the soul' (2007: 5). This is a work that forces the reader to think - you won't finish it in a night even though the monograph only stretches some 230 pages - it is dense at times and I found I just had to put it aside for a couple of days to catch my breath. Never the less, there is gold in these pages for those on the spiritual, as opposed to religious, quest.

I won't tell you how it all ends - not that there is an ending as such - rather, there is a hint at what may lie ahead.

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing! I'll have to add it to my "to read" list :)

Archived