William F. Buckley, Jr.

David

I have noted elsewhere that I will miss Pat Robertson when he goes. I wanted to note that I will miss William F. Buckley, Jr. who died Wednesday. The AP writer reporting on this loss notes a Buckley story that sums up why he will be missed:

"Mr. Buckley," one non-fan wrote in 1967, "you are the mouthpiece of that evil rabble that depends on fraud, perjury, dirty tricks, anything at all that suits their purposes. I would trust a snake before I would trust you or anybody you support."

Responded Buckley: "What would you do if I supported the snake?"

I have noted elsewhere that I will miss Pat Robertson when he goes. I wanted to note that I will miss William F. Buckley, Jr. who died Wednesday. The AP writer reporting on this loss notes a Buckley story that sums up why he will be missed:

"Mr. Buckley," one non-fan wrote in 1967, "you are the mouthpiece of that evil rabble that depends on fraud, perjury, dirty tricks, anything at all that suits their purposes. I would trust a snake before I would trust you or anybody you support."

Responded Buckley: "What would you do if I supported the snake?"

I like the quote :)

I know the name but can't picture the face!

I did an image search. I didn't recognize him at all.

It may be an age thing.

It can be argued that Buckley was largely responsible for the modern political conservative movement which gave birth to Reagan as a political force. Buckley made conservatism respectable and helped purge many of the radical elements. He apologized for once opposing some of the civil rights movement and admitted that he admired MLK. He had friends on the right and friends on the left. I almost always disagreed with him but rarely found him disagreeable. He made you think regardless of your position. He came out early in opposition to the war in Iraq and did not seem to think much of Bush. He was a conservative that you could respect and not like Bush who will never rise to the level of Buckley.

I'm sorry that you did not have a chance to miss him.

I went to hear him speak in college. I agree with David - he was the only extreme conservative I've run across who was able to express his thoughts and opinions in a way that, while I disagreed with his conclusions, I could understand how a thinking, ethical person could draw them.

I'm all for people who think. A dying breed.

It may be an age thing.

It can be argued that Buckley was largely responsible for the modern political conservative movement which gave birth to Reagan as a political force. Buckley made conservatism respectable and helped purge many of the radical elements. He apologized for once opposing some of the civil rights movement and admitted that he admired MLK. He had friends on the right and friends on the left. I almost always disagreed with him but rarely found him disagreeable. He made you think regardless of your position. He came out early in opposition to the war in Iraq and did not seem to think much of Bush. He was a conservative that you could respect and not like Bush who will never rise to the level of Buckley.

It is sad he is gone, good to know he was a thinking Conservative. Not too many of those around anymore. Or I should say, not too many of those around who have the microphone!

It may be an age thing.

Sounds like a good guy. I like your statement, "I almost always disagreed with him but rarely found him disagreeable." I imagine I'd feel the same way about him. I really love speaking to people like that, actually. There's a feeling of comraderie and respect even when you completely disagree; it's a good feeling and you can have much more productive conversations that way, as opposed to simply screaming at each other!

Archived