Presidential Candidates

Cynthia Sheldon

Who are you hoping will win?

Honestly, I'm not sure. There are some candidates that I really don't want to win, but none that I really want to, if that makes any sense. Right now I'm leaning towards Obama, but I'm wary because I'm not sure he's experienced enough or has real solutions. This will be my first time voting (woohoo!), so I'm a little at a loss in the world of politics. I'm afraid of "jumping on the bandwagon" just because he's a charismatic speaker, but at the same time, none of the other candidates have really impressed me.

If I had to take a Republican, on the other hand, I'd pick McCain or Giuliani.

None of them. Democracy in this country has been corrupted to the point where we associate voting only with voting for people. The REAL power of democracy is in voting for things...how resources are allocated, for example. Until this is fully understood and acted upon BY THE PEOPLE, nothing will change except the faces on the TV commercials.

None of them. Democracy in this country has been corrupted to the point where we associate voting only with voting for people. The REAL power of democracy is in voting for things...how resources are allocated, for example. Until this is fully understood and acted upon BY THE PEOPLE, nothing will change except the faces on the TV commercials.

I'm not sure I agree that we only vote for people, but then again maybe I'm not certain what you're trying to say. There are certainly people who take it to the opposite extreme and vote only for one issue (single-issue voters, obviously). And I think most Americans have issues they're concerned about, and try to find a candidate who they feel represents their point of view the best. Not that I think our system is perfect - far from it - it seems only the very rich can get elected which is certainly not conducive to democracy. Neither is the fact that often people from the same families are all in politics. Or the fact that we tend to assume that politicians, and candidates in particular, are lying just to get votes.

That being said...do you really not have a preference at all? Not even a lesser-than-two-evils (or twenty as the case may be) kind of preference? :lol:

That being said...do you really not have a preference at all? Not even a lesser-than-two-evils (or twenty as the case may be) kind of preference?

None. I don't vote for what I don't want and I definitely don't vote for people that have more money than I have. A true government of the people, by the people, and for the people would be open and democratic on all levels. Is this a dream? No...it's a dream to think that voting for this politician or that politician will change anything. When WE, as citizens, ignore the politicians and the press and begin to debate the real issues that face our lives, this society, and our planet among ourselves, then we will discover where the real power center lies in this so-called democracy. Did YOU vote for this war in Iraq? Where is the opposition? The Democrats?? Did YOU vote for the national budget? Did YOU vote for that sham 'Patriot Act'? Did YOU vote not to have universal health insurance? Of course not. So, why do we let politicians decide our fate? WE should be voting on the national budget. WE should be voting on national policy. WE should be telling THEM and not the other way around. But, don't get me started. <_<

None. I don't vote for what I don't want and I definitely don't vote for people that have more money than I have. A true government of the people, by the people, and for the people would be open and democratic on all levels. Is this a dream? No...it's a dream to think that voting for this politician or that politician will change anything. When WE, as citizens, ignore the politicians and the press and begin to debate the real issues that face our lives, this society, and our planet among ourselves, then we will discover where the real power center lies in this so-called democracy. Did YOU vote for this war in Iraq? Where is the opposition? The Democrats?? Did YOU vote for the national budget? Did YOU vote for that sham 'Patriot Act'? Did YOU vote not to have universal health insurance? Of course not. So, why do we let politicians decide our fate? WE should be voting on the national budget. WE should be voting on national policy. WE should be telling THEM and not the other way around. But, don't get me started. <_<

Well, I can certainly understand your frustration. It does feel like the government isn't getting much done and isn't really listening to the people's voice. :(

And I agree, I really wish the media would focus more on real issues.

I am from Iowa and went to my first caucus this year at the age of 56. Maybe that says what this site has helped me with. I am from a community that is 95 % republican. Fundamentalists abound. I supported(very passively) Obama. Because of recent experience with a person that is narcissistic and might have "antisocial personality disorder", I lack trust in just about everyone. I am really looking for honesty and integrity along with the other needed characteristics in a person but unfortunately I do not think that sort would be electable. I believe a couple of the candidates have no conscience and can lie better than most moral and honest people can tell the truth. Our country has a difficult job ahead of us. thanks bob ve

Either Clinton or Obama. Our first Woman President or our first African-American President. What a statement. This would do so much to restore the reputation of the USA as a progressive democracy. It would be great if either of them would make Kucinich and Edwards and Gore their main advisors but I suspect that is asking too much in our current plutocratic climate.

love, john + http://www.abundancetrek.com & http://www.abundancetrek.com/blog + "Be the change you want to see" -- Mohandas Gandhi

Here's a link to a quiz that matches your views to the candidates. I matched exactly the same percent with Obama, Dodd, and Clinton.... so I don't know how helpful it will be! May be interesting though.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

Haha I have Dodd as the highest and Gravel, Obama, Biden, and Clinton all just 2 percent below him. At least Dodd and Biden (I think?) have both dropped out. And I wasn't going to vote for Gravel anyway.

But that leaves Obama and Clinton tied, which pretty much brings me back to square one :rolleyes::lol:

Cool quiz!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why do you laugh?

I just thought it was funny that Hillary was too conservative for you :) Since she is still pretty liberal :D

I wasn't laughing at you :lol: Just found it amusing :)

For the record, I wound up voting for Obama in my state primary :)

I just thought it was funny that Hillary was too conservative for you :) Since she is still pretty liberal :D

I wasn't laughing at you :lol: Just found it amusing :)

For the record, I wound up voting for Obama in my state primary :)

Gotcha! I figured you weren't laughing at me but I wasn't sure what was making you laugh. I'll vote for whichever of the two of them becomes the Democratic nominee. I just feel like Obama is going to stand unashamedly up for things like Gay-rights and I'm not so sure about Hilary. I do agree she has more experience. I actually think they'd make a great team. Imagine that!

Gotcha! I figured you weren't laughing at me but I wasn't sure what was making you laugh. I'll vote for whichever of the two of them becomes the Democratic nominee. I just feel like Obama is going to stand unashamedly up for things like Gay-rights and I'm not so sure about Hilary. I do agree she has more experience. I actually think they'd make a great team. Imagine that!

I'm almost certain I'll vote for the Democratic nominee as well. That would be pretty cool if they teamed up, though I'm not sure it'll happen. It'll be interesting to see who the running mate ends up being though, for both the Dems and the Reps. Even if Obama and Clinton don't pair up, I still think it's amazing that the party will be nominating either a woman or an African-American. It's a great sign of progress that it's finally happening! Especially considering the lack of rights of woman less than a century ago and African-Americans just a few decades ago...

I'm almost certain I'll vote for the Democratic nominee as well. That would be pretty cool if they teamed up, though I'm not sure it'll happen. It'll be interesting to see who the running mate ends up being though, for both the Dems and the Reps. Even if Obama and Clinton don't pair up, I still think it's amazing that the party will be nominating either a woman or an African-American. It's a great sign of progress that it's finally happening! Especially considering the lack of rights of woman less than a century ago and African-Americans just a few decades ago...

I agree with you! My step-son is studying the constitution and in the process we've discovered that Women have had the right to vote for about 90 years! African-American Males 143 years ago (technically) but with all kinds of crazy restrictions! It is shameful that in the year 2008 African-Americans & Women are still having to count "1sts" We should be generations past that at this point...

I just feel like Obama is going to stand unashamedly up for things like Gay-rights and I'm not so sure about Hilary. I do agree she has more experience.

I believe that Hillary is much more consistent on gay rights. At a rally, one of Obama's supporters who gave a speech was a homosexual man who was healed of that "disease." Many blacks are opposed to gay rights with passion. Obama is a politician even if he seems like the Messiah at times.

Obama, Hilary is too conservative.

Hillary has to run on her husband's record so she does seem conservative compared to Obama. I think the times have changed and people are ready to move in a more liberal direction than in 1993 when Bill took over as a minority President with an unruly Democratic majority which soon lost control of congress. So, I believe Hillary would be far more liberal than her husband with people like Nancy Pelosi fighting for her program. Same with Obama who is actually more conservative than you might think. He works closely with the Daley machine and is loved by the nuclear power and coal power interests. I really don't know what's behind all that wonderful rhetoric. I see Hillary as a fighter for the working people. I see Obama as one who wants to please everybody.

Very few people in the media have focused on the gender issue. It's huge but it is swept under the rug. Men have a real problem with Hillary. If only women were voting, Hillary would have had this nomination wrapped up on Super Tuesday. The men on the media and the women who act like men in the media set the tone. It's OK to bash Hillary. It's not OK to bash Obama.

http://lesbianlife.about.com/od/lesbianact...BarackObama.htm

Barack is in favor of civil unions over "marriage" which is at least in the right direction. And his overall stances are much better than Hilary's IMO.

In the past 2 decades, Bill & Hill have been a thorn on the side of the powerful and privileged of America. Billions of dollars have been spent to convince us that they are sleezy and power-hungry. The plutocracy hates them because, they, more than anybody else, have been successful at reducing their power and influence. Don't let the media or "the vast rightwing conspiracy" define Bill and Hill.

Hillary is now the comeback kid once again. Why do the common people, the average Joes and Jeans, keep putting the Clintons on top? The media bashes them. The affluent Liberals bash them. Think about it.

I believe Hillary Clinton is a genuine and sincere fighter for us and that drives the plutocrats crazy. I believe they fear Clinton in the White House far more than Obama. I also believe Hillary Clinton will be a better President than her husband. One example: She opposed NAFTA privately when Bill and Al Gore were pushing it through Congress with mostly Republican votes. Think about it.

Her privately being against something doesn't really mean much... I'm more interested in her public stances... I still think she is more conservative than Obama. I'd really like to see them both on the same ticket!

I saw a funny clip (not sure where) from a comedian. Made the joke that some people don't want her in because they are afraid that Bill will be a co-president. And heaven knows we wouldn't want TWO intelligent people running the country together! That had me ROFLing.

Archived