In Need Of Fellowship...

Hey all...

I have posted here a few times and have really enjoyed the conversations here... However... I really wish there was more of it... :)

I have been posting a bit over on the Comparative Religions website... and although that has been interesting... it is not very edifying... I spend alot of time being called a heretic, and being accused of being a liar, and a wolf in sheeps clothing, and trying to mislead god's elect...

Which is fine... =) I have learned to live with the lables... given to me by people who are alot like I once was...

But all that being said... It would really be nice to have a place to go to hang out with like minded people... Is there any other places that you would suggest hanging out...

The nature of my job keeps me at my desk most of the day... routing issues this way and that... so I have a fair amount of time on my hands as I am waiting for these issues to come in... it would be wonderful to spend some of that time hangin here or somewhere else where Prog's are...

So... if you have any ideas for me... let me know...

Peace & Love

Hey all...

I have posted here a few times and have really enjoyed the conversations here... However... I really wish there was more of it... :)

I have been posting a bit over on the Comparative Religions website... and although that has been interesting... it is not very edifying... I spend alot of time being called a heretic, and being accused of being a liar, and a wolf in sheeps clothing, and trying to mislead god's elect...

Which is fine... =) I have learned to live with the lables... given to me by people who are alot like I once was...

But all that being said... It would really be nice to have a place to go to hang out with like minded people... Is there any other places that you would suggest hanging out...

The nature of my job keeps me at my desk most of the day... routing issues this way and that... so I have a fair amount of time on my hands as I am waiting for these issues to come in... it would be wonderful to spend some of that time hangin here or somewhere else where Prog's are...

Peace & Love

Greetings Jaded Fool,

So lets fellowship.

For starters..... Where are you from? What is the exact nature of your job? Tell us about your first conscious encounter with God. How do you see the world? Use this thread or PM if you like.

Love in Christ,

JM

Greetings Jaded Fool,

So lets fellowship.

For starters..... Where are you from? What is the exact nature of your job? Tell us about your first conscious encounter with God. How do you see the world? Use this thread or PM if you like.

Love in Christ,

JM

Hello JosephM...

Thanx for the response... =)

I am from wisconsin... However I was born and raised in minnesota... My mom was a hippie and we did a LOT of moving... =) pretty crazy childhood...

I am an ex-minister turn IT Geek... lol I am the Technical Services Manager for a major corp... I kinda serve as a traffic cop for my staff... keeping them going in the right direction... thats when I am not in meetings...

I will post more later... got a meeting to run to...

Peace

Hello JosephM...

Thanx for the response... =)

I am from wisconsin... However I was born and raised in minnesota... My mom was a hippie and we did a LOT of moving... =) pretty crazy childhood...

I am an ex-minister turn IT Geek... lol I am the Technical Services Manager for a major corp... I kinda serve as a traffic cop for my staff... keeping them going in the right direction... thats when I am not in meetings...

I will post more later... got a meeting to run to...

Peace

Hello Again,

Wisconsin is a wonderful and beautiful state. Have been as far north as Oshkosh. Love your cheese.

Perhaps your Mom being a free thinker has contributed to you doing the same. Do you think so?

What brought you to question standard church teachings? And what are some of the things you believe you have received directly by revelation on your path?

Love,

JM

Hey all...

Peace & Love

I agree! I've been craving the fellowship of like-minded Christians myself ;)

I like JM's idea of having fellowship here :)

But I don't know where to start without sounding nosy! :lol:

Your name is...David, right? I apologize if I'm wrong! Hey there, my name is McKenna, as is quite obvious :P

What do you think is the best part of being a Christian, and, more specifically, a Progressive Christian? What do you think are the drawbacks/disadvantages (if anything)?

:)

Hello Again,

Wisconsin is a wonderful and beautiful state. Have been as far north as Oshkosh. Love your cheese.

Perhaps your Mom being a free thinker has contributed to you doing the same. Do you think so?

What brought you to question standard church teachings? And what are some of the things you believe you have received directly by revelation on your path?

Love,

JM

I am farther north then oshkosh =) and yes we have good cheese... =)

I think my mom's ideals had something to do with my current state of mind... although I find myself leading her now... heh... ironic...

What brought me to me questioning... hmmm... well i studied greek and hebrew in bible college... and being a very logical person... i started to see major differences in translation...

things that could have been cultural slang and such that have now become dogma... and i started to ask myself what was jesus really about...

and the more questions i asked the worse it got... the all gave me plastic seminary answers... grrrrrr...

and so I tumbled into hereticalism... lol...

In my heart I just want to find jesus... to find love and peace...

I strive everyday to be a instrument of love and peace... many times I fail... but it is my heart none the less...

Peace and Love to you all....

I agree! I've been craving the fellowship of like-minded Christians myself ;)

I like JM's idea of having fellowship here :)

But I don't know where to start without sounding nosy! :lol:

Your name is...David, right? I apologize if I'm wrong! Hey there, my name is McKenna, as is quite obvious :P

What do you think is the best part of being a Christian, and, more specifically, a Progressive Christian? What do you think are the drawbacks/disadvantages (if anything)?

:)

Hey McKenna....

The best part... easy... unconditional love and peace... that is what I searched for for years... =)

The drawbacks... hmmm... I guess it would be being a heretic... lol

I know so many good people that are bound up in the brainwashing.... thay have so much to share... but they crush... =(

Because god does not speak through the arts and beautiful things... lmao... but only through the law... ack!!!

OK so I am still a little bitter... hehe... but at least i can recognize it... lol...

Peace & Love

A progressive Christian will secure his passions in the reflection of Christ rather than avoiding them. Awakening in an ingenious way his consciousness thus the words religious practice or rigorous practice. Inspiring images and sounds, positive perceptions and Christ consciousness invoked and visualized in the contemplation of a progressive Christian helps us to identify with Christ in such a way as to enable us to be released from the limitations of the Christian ego. The soothing feelings felt in progressive meditation helps us to transform the poisons in the mind to wisdom and to give up our attachment and clinging to our ego so we can merge with pure consciousness. Anyone who touches or reflects on Christ’s mind or consciousness will touch pure consciousness or God

because the man without a Christian ego is wholly within God or surrounded by pure consciousness seeing everything and everyone in God the Father. Having given up all that is ego to concentrate on Christ, a progressive Christian gets covered with God as our bodies are covered with clothes so to touch the person one must first touch the clothing. Similarly, when a person drinks, the liquid passes over the tongue and it is tasted, but if the tongue is covered with a sweat coating then everything taste sweet. This is how it is with the person who gives up his ego. He is coated with pure consciousness so nothing touches him without touching God first so everything gets a divine flavor and becomes spiritual. A progressive Christian will not condemn, but inspiror.

The worst thing about Christianity is the Christian ego that judges and condemns without love or with ego love.

IMO, New Age and Christianity Lite are not the same thing as Progressive Christianity.

Moreover, IMO, Progressive Christians should not avoid appropriate discernment and judgment and even condemnation. Jesus is our model and He rightly condemned the unjust collaboration that was going on between the puppet leaders of Israel with the Roman empire. Similarly, Martin Luther King Jr. condemened the unjust status quo of racial segregation in the U.S. And progressive Christians today ought to be condemening preemptive wars and environmental destruction, etc. While we seek to be a big tent and to be as inclusive as possible, we are not to forget our calling to be prophetic - and that involves judgment and even condemnation. Yes, inspiration is the higher calling, but we fail to be Christian (followers of Christ) if we become afraid to call a spade a spade and to tell truth to power.

I am farther north then oshkosh =) and yes we have good cheese... =)

I think my mom's ideals had something to do with my current state of mind... although I find myself leading her now... heh... ironic...

What brought me to me questioning... hmmm... well i studied greek and hebrew in bible college... and being a very logical person... i started to see major differences in translation...

things that could have been cultural slang and such that have now become dogma... and i started to ask myself what was jesus really about...

and the more questions i asked the worse it got... the all gave me plastic seminary answers... grrrrrr...

and so I tumbled into hereticalism... lol...

In my heart I just want to find jesus... to find love and peace...

I strive everyday to be a instrument of love and peace... many times I fail... but it is my heart none the less...

Peace and Love to you all....

Greetings again JF,

Your response is very moving to me. Being an ordained Christian minister myself, I can relate to your story. Love and Peace is what seems to me to be the real gospel. Focusing on that one statement is enough to deprogram all the 'brain washing' we received in Bible College. Sure it seems to take time but your goal is sure in my view.

Love and Peace,

JM

Hey McKenna....

The best part... easy... unconditional love and peace... that is what I searched for for years... =)

The drawbacks... hmmm... I guess it would be being a heretic... lol

I know so many good people that are bound up in the brainwashing.... thay have so much to share... but they crush... =(

Because god does not speak through the arts and beautiful things... lmao... but only through the law... ack!!!

OK so I am still a little bitter... hehe... but at least i can recognize it... lol...

Peace & Love

I'm glad you've found what you've been searching for :)

Meh, the word "heretic" is defined by one's point of view. I personally wouldn't label progressive Christians as heretics...I feel we are closer to Jesus' original intent than a lot of the more conservative factions of Christianity...but I suppose I am a bit biased ;)

Are you still in touch with the members of your old congregations? I ask because you say you know a lot of people "bound up in brainwashing." Do you ever argue over spiritual matters, or try to change each other's minds?

While I've never been through the "brainwashing" experience, I can understand why it would make you bitter...

Peace and love indeed,

McKenna

Anyone who touches or reflects on Christ’s mind or consciousness will touch pure consciousness or God

because the man without a Christian ego is wholly within God or surrounded by pure consciousness seeing everything and everyone in God the Father. Having given up all that is ego to concentrate on Christ, a progressive Christian gets covered with God as our bodies are covered with clothes so to touch the person one must first touch the clothing. Similarly, when a person drinks, the liquid passes over the tongue and it is tasted, but if the tongue is covered with a sweat coating then everything taste sweet. This is how it is with the person who gives up his ego. He is coated with pure consciousness so nothing touches him without touching God first so everything gets a divine flavor and becomes spiritual.

Have said it before, but feel the need to say it again -- you're such a sweet mystic, Soma!

Love Jen

P.S. I almost don't want to say this, because I just love what you wrote, and I know it's true, because I feel that way in my own life, but (sorry!) I agree with BrotherRog that a Progressive Christian must sometimes condemn. Sorry! The good news is that one can see Jesus' teachings as both inspiration and condemnation at the same time. He condemned the choices that led people away from being their best selves because he believed in them. He believed in their awesome potential as souls to change and grow and attain wisdom. He set the bar high because he was inspired by others's true nature, and because he wanted to them to be inspired by their own true potential as angels-in-human-form (a.k.a. Christs). So he condemned what hurt their ability to grow closer to God (stubborness, laziness, selfishness, asceticism, blind adherence to the law), and he inspired them to work towards loving fellowship, healing, and forgiveness -- the sweet flavour you've spoken of. Take care!

I don't see you guys or Jesus condemning, we all prod and position, but in the end we follow our Lord. During the day we certainly encounter problems, but we are not going to thrive by dwelling on these negatives either. Mentally or physically such self-indulgence only brings on headaches, heartaches and trouble. We just seem to become stronger and overcome the obstacles at hand and direct our thoughts to happiness rather than unhappiness by looking at the whole picture. I don't think the solution is to condemn one negative over another; each is necessary and a vital force for all the possibilities of the macrocosm to become actualized. In the absence of these opposites, the positive and negative, the universe could not hold together and would cease to exist. To go beyond these polarities is to realize Christ consciousness. He rose above the disconnected, the dissociated and became unified with the whole. He came into duality and ressurected to sit with the Father in unity. I also love this thread.

Jaded,

I came here with the need for "fellowhship." The posting is very slow and can be frustrating. I so get some of what I need in my UCC but even there people are extremely busy with their lives and come from many different places.

Keep posting and I'll keep checking back. We may have a thread of two, but that is how it all starts!

IMO, New Age and Christianity Lite are not the same thing as Progressive Christianity.

I agree. While I have a "live and let live" atitttude towards religions (to a point) I do think it is important to under stand that New Age and Xianity lite are not the same thing as Progressive Christianity. In fact, my experience with New Age is that there is nothing particularly progressive about it. Some of it has the same drawbacks as fundamentalism and conservativism as it requires one to turn of their brain in order to accept it.

Moreover, IMO, Progressive Christians should not avoid appropriate discernment and judgment and even condemnation. Jesus is our model and He rightly condemned the unjust collaboration that was going on between the puppet leaders of Israel with the Roman empire. Similarly, Martin Luther King Jr. condemened the unjust status quo of racial segregation in the U.S. And progressive Christians today ought to be condemening preemptive wars and environmental destruction, etc. While we seek to be a big tent and to be as inclusive as possible, we are not to forget our calling to be prophetic - and that involves judgment and even condemnation. Yes, inspiration is the higher calling, but we fail to be Christian (followers of Christ) if we become afraid to call a spade a spade and to tell truth to power.

Once again, I agree enthusiastically.

(snip)

Once again, I agree enthusiastically.

Hello All,

Just to share a different perspective here, I must admit that in my view there is no room in Christ for condemnation and yes I know that it is implied in the NT that Jesus condemned but if he did it is in my view a contradiction to his refusal to condemn the woman caught in the very act of adultery. He made no bones that she had sinned and violated a law but Jesus refused to condemn her. So personally I will leave judgement and condemnation to those of you who believe it is appropriate in certain cases. Perhaps to me, regardless of NT writings, it seems inappropriate in all cases to that which I have tasted of Christ. Just an alternative view to consider with no animosity to those who view it differently.

Love and Peace,

JM

I'm probably the only one ( :lol: ), but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the first two terms. What do you see as the difference?

What is our role in the world, as Progressive Christians? Now that's something to ponder... ;)

Hm, I guess I agree with you. I guess the word "condemn" just turns me off a bit, but I know what you're saying. While I have been trying to feel some level of sympathy for the shooter at VA Tech, for example, I cannot not condemn his actions. It's a balancing act, trying to keep the both the perspectives of compassion and of justice in sight.

Maybe that is our role. Or maybe I'm just rambling ;)

Like different fruits on the same tree, some tender, some ripe, some green or immature so also men are considered dissimilar in their different stages of development. The evolution of an individual is noticed according to the actions and character of the person concerned. In the end when all the different fruits ripen, they become sweet and taste the same because they all develop from the same tree. Earrings, necklaces and wedding rings appear dissimilar until inquiry reveals that they are all basically made from gold. God the Father is also in many forms so we see many things, but it is God that is in everything because He is, was and always will be. In the higher realms of existence one has true discrimination because one sees what is eternal and everlasting, and what is momentary and transient. If New Age Christianity, Progressive Christianity or Fundamentalism helps one see the everlasting and evolve, change, and move forward toward God the Father, more power to them, but when fear is used to manipulate and limit one's spiritual experience than discrimination is imortant to free the shackles.

I'm probably the only one ( :lol: ), but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the first two terms. What do you see as the difference?
Obviously I can't tell you what BroRog meant but I can tell you how I understood them. New Age is pretty broad but includes ideas that come from "The Secret." I had a fellow teacher give me the DVD. I knew she would ask about it so I tortured myself into watching it. A lot of it is based in Cognitive Behavorial Psychology (which is legitimate) and explains how some of the techniques work. Some is just logical but there is an idea that the Universe gives you what you ask for (if only!)

When I hear Christianity Lite I recall the the United Methodist Church I attended for a couple of years where there was distinct breech between belief and action. People were primarily there because it was the thing to do and there was little connection between Sunday and Monday through Friday. While this particular congregation was a bit more open than some conservatives (living together before marriage was okay but homosexuality was not) there was no sense of the need for social action, etc. I saw a lot of baptisms from "new members" who never again showed their face at church. A practice I find strange.

trying to keep the both the perspectives of compassion and of justice in sight.

Maybe that is our role. Or maybe I'm just rambling ;)

I think you might have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I think balance is the key.

Obviously I can't tell you what BroRog meant but I can tell you how I understood them. New Age is pretty broad but includes ideas that come from "The Secret." I had a fellow teacher give me the DVD. I knew she would ask about it so I tortured myself into watching it. A lot of it is based in Cognitive Behavorial Psychology (which is legitimate) and explains how some of the techniques work. Some is just logical but there is an idea that the Universe gives you what you ask for (if only!)

Ah. I just wasn't sure how New Age had anything to do with Christianity at all. I guess the term 'New Age' makes me think of sort of neo-hippies with crystals and incense. I'm not denouncing them (it's sort of how I'd describe my stepmother, God bless her), I'm just saying that's the kind of person I think of...

When I hear Christianity Lite I recall the the United Methodist Church I attended for a couple of years where there was distinct breech between belief and action. People were primarily there because it was the thing to do and there was little connection between Sunday and Monday through Friday. While this particular congregation was a bit more open than some conservatives (living together before marriage was okay but homosexuality was not) there was no sense of the need for social action, etc. I saw a lot of baptisms from "new members" who never again showed their face at church. A practice I find strange.

That makes sense. The term I generally hear for this is 'Sunday Christian,' but Christianity Lite makes sense too ;)

I think you might have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I think balance is the key.

Thanks! Glad we agree :)

The crystals etc. would be part of New Age as well. I don't think most people who are New Age would consider themselves to be part or even off-shoot of Christianity. In fact I suspect they might consider themselves a spiritual alternative to Christianity.

I think you are correct... that most people view it as an alternative...

One of the major differences to Progressive Christianity... for me anyways... is that I don't feel like I have all the answers... I have questions... and thats ok... I am not claiming to be the holder of ONE sacred truth... and all else is lies... there is once again a sense of wonder and awe for me... something that I have not felt in years...

Not sure if that made any sense... It was just on my heart... lol

Peace and Love

Archived