Another Newbie

Anquisitum

Unlike many whose messages I've seen posted here, I am not in a Church community surrounded by Christian fundamentalists. I grew up in, married into, and am surrounded by my very loving family of atheists, who cannot for the life of them understand my interest in or attraction to Christianity. They tolerate with a sort of benign bafflement and amusement my episodic sorties out to a service. They'd much rather have me at home, sharing our Sunday morning activities together.

I've loved the (traditional) music and liturgy of the Episcopal church since I was an adolescent - at that point I was much more willing to suspend my disbelief in things like the Virginity of Mary - and I've been baptised as an adult in the EC. Roman Catholicism attaracted me too, until they dropped Latin (which should give you an idea of how old I am).

I now appreciate Borg and Spong et al and the acceptance of the progressive wing in the EC but when I do attend HC I find myself running a constant translation in my head as I say the words since I don't take, for example, the Nicene Creed literally. Quakerism much more fits my personal belief system and I spent a year attending one of the local Meetings but I miss the liturgy. I've been to Unitarian services but they feel "invented" to me. So I have not found a bricks-and-mortar community.

I appreciate the Dalai Lama's thought that one may find spiritual ideas in any tradition but apply these ideas in one's own tradition (and mine is certainly more Christian than Buddhist). So I would really love to find a cyber community to share the search for how to live a more compassionate and centered life in a Christian tradition and I'm hoping to find it here (and/ or to accept suggestions of where else to look).

--Anq

Unlike many whose messages I've seen posted here, I am not in a Church community surrounded by Christian fundamentalists. I grew up in, married into, and am surrounded by my very loving family of atheists, who cannot for the life of them understand my interest in or attraction to Christianity. They tolerate with a sort of benign bafflement and amusement my episodic sorties out to a service. They'd much rather have me at home, sharing our Sunday morning activities together.

I've loved the (traditional) music and liturgy of the Episcopal church since I was an adolescent - at that point I was much more willing to suspend my disbelief in things like the Virginity of Mary - and I've been baptised as an adult in the EC. Roman Catholicism attaracted me too, until they dropped Latin (which should give you an idea of how old I am).

I now appreciate Borg and Spong et al and the acceptance of the progressive wing in the EC but when I do attend HC I find myself running a constant translation in my head as I say the words since I don't take, for example, the Nicene Creed literally. Quakerism much more fits my personal belief system and I spent a year attending one of the local Meetings but I miss the liturgy. I've been to Unitarian services but they feel "invented" to me. So I have not found a bricks-and-mortar community.

I appreciate the Dalai Lama's thought that one may find spiritual ideas in any tradition but apply these ideas in one's own tradition (and mine is certainly more Christian than Buddhist). So I would really love to find a cyber community to share the search for how to live a more compassionate and centered life in a Christian tradition and I'm hoping to find it here (and/ or to accept suggestions of where else to look).

--Anq

Welcome, Anq! I am already thankful for your thoughtful and peaceful presence. You will undoubtedly bring a unique perspective to the mix here.

Fatherman

Archived