Judgement Day

fatherman

I'm starting this thread here because this discussion is likely to go outside of the bounds of the Christian notion of Judgement Day. I've heard a couple of interesting beliefs outside of Christianity that I'm fond of.

The first comes from the Islamic tradition from the perspective of a muslim friend of mine. It's akin to the Christian story of Judgement Day. I like it because it's a good story. He's not a fundamentalist so this is not strict by any means (who knows maybe he invented part of it himself).

On Judgement Day, all souls will be brought before God, the Judge. You will be appointed defense based on your chosen faith. Jesus will defend the Christians and Muhammed will defend the Muslims (and so on). The record of your wrongs and rights are kept by the two little angels that sit on your right and left shoulders throughout your entire life. They present all the evidence. And Satan is the prosecutor! God hands down the sentence of Paradise or Hell Fire. (Fun story! Hope it's not true!)

The second came to me from kind of New Age guru.

He spoke of the experience that people often recant when they return from near death. A common element is that their life begins to flash before their eyes. His story is that the first phase of life after death is the Judgement Day. You become a witness to your entire life, but God isn't the Judge. You are. You have to come to terms with your life; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Any sentence you receive for your deeds will come from your own self: punishment or reward. Ultimately though, you have to let it all go and turn to God.

It makes me think of something we do at work. After finishing a big project, we often do a Post-Mortem (post-project review). Judgement Day...the ultimate Post-Mortem? :D

Do you believe in a Judgement Day? Do you have a favorite Judgement Day story or belief? Or do you prefer to leave it entirely out of the equation?

After finishing a big project at work, we often do a Post-Mortem (post-project review). Judgement Day...the ultimate Post-Mortem?

Love this...A while ago I mentioned this and it still stands as my favorite metaphor for what may be. The film, Defending your Life, with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep has many of the elements that you cite plus a few more. Notably it also features Rip Torn as Brook's character lawyer/advocate. The story takes place in "Judgement City". Rent it and enjoy !

flow.... ;)

I tend to think in more immediate consequences... choices made, good or bad, changing and adding directionality to the next set of choices.

Reading your post made me realize that I haven't thought much about the "after". I'm a bit caught up in the idea that the kingdom of God is at hand... here and now. Along with that, the idea that we are subsets of God... he wouldn't need angels for accounting He has a clearer view of why I might do things (and surely a better memory!) than I do, perhaps???? :P

I'll be interested in everybody's opinions!

Using a non-literal metaphorical interpretation of the parable of the wheat and the weeds found in the Bible: All of our bad traits and undesirable behaviors will be extinguished before Judgement day. All that will be left will be the good.

We will all be judged innocent and perfect creations of God, just as we were created. We will return to live in timeless paradise with our Creator and all our Divine Brothers and Sisters. Our dream of banishment and exile from God will be extinguished as we awake from our self imposed illusion. (Adapted from "A Course in Miracles" and other mystical traditions),

I tend to think in more immediate consequences... choices made, good or bad, changing and adding directionality to the next set of choices.

Reading your post made me realize that I haven't thought much about the "after". I'm a bit caught up in the idea that the kingdom of God is at hand... here and now. Along with that, the idea that we are subsets of God... he wouldn't need angels for accounting He has a clearer view of why I might do things (and surely a better memory!) than I do, perhaps???? :P

I'll be interested in everybody's opinions!

I don't believe in the first story (from Islam) literally or metaphorically. I just thought it was interesting. The second one is more than interesting to me, though. Especially because it appears to sync up with the experience of life passing before ones eyes when the body dies (even if it only dies for a little while). My thinking about the afterlife and any passage into it is usually centered around earthly attachment. I believe that the Buddhist (and arguably Christian) notion of detachment is relevant to the act of dying. Jesus teaches us the importance of dying now and being born again into God. For me this is about letting go of whatever we cling to. Our clinging (attachment) holds us back from abundant living. It seems to me that our attachment would not necessarily cease because our bodies die. Perhaps it holds us back from becoming one with God after death...making us a ghost or causing us to choose an artificial afterlife constructed by our own attachments.

Fatherman, perhaps if we are still attached to the body and the world and haven't completed our spiritual development, dare I say it? Dare I use the "R" word? Yes I will be bold and do it. Perhaps some are REINCARNATED. AAARRRGGGGG, Now I have did it.

Makes sense to me, too. Here's the story I wrote for myself.

It's kind of fun to imagine why I'm here. Maybe it happened like this.

I am a manifestation of my own eternal spirit that emanates from my own intent. Before I began this iteration of earthly life, decisions were made. I had a little chat with the Source of All.

Me: "I want to learn peace this time."

God: "Are you sure?"

Me: "Maybe I should be born in India and be sent to live in an ashram."

God: "No, you tried that already. It didn't work for you."

Me: "OK, I see where you're going with this. Maybe I should be born into a war zone."

God: "Not bad. I've got an even better idea. You should be born into a family of academics and philosophers. You should have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. You should grow up and have a job, wife, kids, and wealth. If you can find peace in that life, you will have truly learned it!"

Me: "OK."

God: "Good luck! One more thing. What are you going to do when you've learned it?"

Me: "Nothing. I'm just going to be peaceful. Let it sing out of me. Maybe it will help things down there."

God: "Like I said, good luck!

Archived