Glad To Be Here

Cynthia Sheldon

It's so good to have found this site! I grew up in a fairly conservative, fairly Christian, broken family. I only got a one sided view of "liberals" from the conservatives in my family, and I always voted Republican. Then, I met my husband and got to hear about progressive and progressive Christian thinking from this wonderful man whom I admired (yes, I'm still talking about my husband). One day, I realized that the people I admired the most are progressive, so it can't be that bad. The more I talked to my husband, the more things made sense to me. I was able to share with him that I was agnostic. He was very non-judgemental, supportive, and showed me unconditional love. I asked him questions all the time, like "How do you know there's a God?" I asked him to help me pray a lot in my search for God. One day, he led me in a guided meditation, and I had a wonderful magical experience where I saw a lot of indigo and felt the presence of love like never before. Somehow, there was no question in my mind that it was God.

I see my faith as a journey where I am always learning and growing. Building on what I learned as a child just didn't work for me. It's so good to finally be getting answers to my big questions in life, like why do we exist. At this time in my life, I think it is for this purpose: to love.

I am a 34 year old stay-at-home mother and also a breastfeeding activist. I believe strongly in attachment parenting (sometimes called natural parenting).

I have a 10 year old daughter, a 6 year old daughter, and a 4 year old son.

My wonderful husband is a Reverend in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

I sing in church often and organize our Christmas choir and advent solos, as well as some other special music.

I lead the music during our children's weekly afterschool program by singing and playing guitar.

I also teach the 9-11 year old Sunday school class.

I volunteer at my children's school weekly.

I rarely watch television now, but I love to watch "Nature" on PBS.

I love the radio program "Hearts of Space" on NPR.

I love to look at the stars.

I look forward to the joy and priviledge of visiting this site to learn and share ideas from people like you who just make a lot of sense!

It's so good to have found this site! I grew up in a fairly conservative, fairly Christian, broken family. I only got a one sided view of "liberals" from the conservatives in my family, and I always voted Republican. Then, I met my husband and got to hear about progressive and progressive Christian thinking from this wonderful man whom I admired (yes, I'm still talking about my husband). One day, I realized that the people I admired the most are progressive, so it can't be that bad. The more I talked to my husband, the more things made sense to me. I was able to share with him that I was agnostic. He was very non-judgemental, supportive, and showed me unconditional love. I asked him questions all the time, like "How do you know there's a God?" I asked him to help me pray a lot in my search for God. One day, he led me in a guided meditation, and I had a wonderful magical experience where I saw a lot of indigo and felt the presence of love like never before. Somehow, there was no question in my mind that it was God.

I see my faith as a journey where I am always learning and growing. Building on what I learned as a child just didn't work for me. It's so good to finally be getting answers to my big questions in life, like why do we exist. At this time in my life, I think it is for this purpose: to love.

I am a 34 year old stay-at-home mother and also a breastfeeding activist. I believe strongly in attachment parenting (sometimes called natural parenting).

I have a 10 year old daughter, a 6 year old daughter, and a 4 year old son.

My wonderful husband is a Reverend in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

I sing in church often and organize our Christmas choir and advent solos, as well as some other special music.

I lead the music during our children's weekly afterschool program by singing and playing guitar.

I also teach the 9-11 year old Sunday school class.

I volunteer at my children's school weekly.

I rarely watch television now, but I love to watch "Nature" on PBS.

I love the radio program "Hearts of Space" on NPR.

I love to look at the stars.

I look forward to the joy and priviledge of visiting this site to learn and share ideas from people like you who just make a lot of sense!

Welcome! I always enjoy meeting another member of the Disciples of Christ. My mother had seven children. She liked her first born so much, she had to have more children. She volunteered in our schools. Two churches began in our livingroom. Again, welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Cynthia. I love this forum and I am sure you will too as you give it some of your time and energy. We have an approach to God that makes sense and gets to the heart of what the Good News is all about. Please browse around and find a topic which interests you and join the fun!

Archived