Uu Christians?

Gnosteric

I believe you will find many progressive christians in UU churches. They focus more on the 'journey' and welcome all faiths. They believe in sharing and have no real dogma. They allow particpation in their services by all faiths. They share without debate. My brother attends and is quite impressed on how diversified and civilized they are for such diversity.

JM

I believe you will find many progressive christians in UU churches. They focus more on the 'journey' and welcome all faiths.

Yes, I agree that this is a strength of theirs. Yet, I am interested in their version of Progressive Christianity. The UU Christian Fellowship is a UU subgroup that is specifically Christian. From their website it looks as though they have some churches that are Christian in nature (i.e., Kings Chapel in Boston) not the usual multi-faith. Some of these UU Christian churches even serve the sacraments.

UU Christians would be considered progressive.

Do you think they are different than the typical UCC or liberal UMC? I am wondering how they are different, and/or similar, to the TCPC in regards to their "8 points" (or whatever they have). That is why I was hoping to find someone who is a member of the fellowship or attends one of these UU Christian Churches.

Yes, I agree that this is a strength of theirs. Yet, I am interested in their version of Progressive Christianity. The UU Christian Fellowship is a UU subgroup that is specifically Christian. From their website it looks as though they have some churches that are Christian in nature (i.e., Kings Chapel in Boston) not the usual multi-faith. Some of these UU Christian churches even serve the sacraments.

Do you think they are different than the typical UCC or liberal UMC? I am wondering how they are different, and/or similar, to the TCPC in regards to their "8 points" (or whatever they have). That is why I was hoping to find someone who is a member of the fellowship or attends one of these UU Christian Churches.

They have an email list that you can join and maybe have your questions answered. There is also a book, titled Christian Voices in Unitarian Universalism, that is available from the UUA bookstore. More information about the book can be found at the bookstore web site. Scroll down the main page and you'll see the book, where you can click on it for more information.

I've always considered that UU Christians would be very similar to me (and other progressive Christians). Depending on the particular church, I would prob. be equally at home in a UU church, if Christian, as UCC (or UMC, PresbyterianUSA, etc.). It would more be a matter of differences in congregations. Personally I've found UU services a bit intellectual, that's for my own taste-- not a judgement. I'm sure there are UUs that are less intellectually bent though.

--des

It is just going to depend on the individual.

In my view the important benefit of the UU asembly is that there is no need to determine whether they are typical, different or how a particular group might believe. Each individual is free to explore, share and believe to the extent he/she is on their journey. There are no Christian belief standards of dogma or doctrine. Threfor most progressive Christians will feel welcome. The focus is on helping each other on their individual journey through sharing and loving support on ones journey to truth. Dogma and doctrine are not emphasized nor is any undue importantance placed upon them. Of course, not all UU churches may fit my description but it is information I have received from my brother who is established in one in Tennesee.

JM

A little history may be useful here. The original split between Unitarians and Trinitarians occurred in Massachusetts in the early nineteenth century. I believe that most Unitarians are still found in Massachusetts. The Unitarians of the early 19th century were Christians and I am pretty sure that they were officially Christian. I don't know when the Unitarians stopped being officially Christian.

I don't know much but I think that even my little bit of knowledge might be helpful here.

I think the Universalists were officially Christian as well when they began in the late eighteenth century. I don't know when they stopped being officially Christian.

I think the Unitarian-Universalist merger happened in the 1950s or 60s.

• 8 months later...
A little history may be useful here. The original split between Unitarians and Trinitarians occurred in Massachusetts in the early nineteenth century. I believe that most Unitarians are still found in Massachusetts. The Unitarians of the early 19th century were Christians and I am pretty sure that they were officially Christian. I don't know when the Unitarians stopped being officially Christian.

I don't know much but I think that even my little bit of knowledge might be helpful here.

I think the Universalists were officially Christian as well when they began in the late eighteenth century. I don't know when they stopped being officially Christian.

I think the Unitarian-Universalist merger happened in the 1950s or 60s.

Just came across this old thread :lol:

The Unitarians and Universalists were both considered Christian denominations until the merger in 1961, though I think both had become increasingly humanistic and less Christian when they decided to merge. From what I know about our history (I'm a UU) the churches tended to be very humanist/atheist/agnostic in those first few decades - especially the 70s - but in recent years have gotten slightly more spiritual. It depends from church to church, though :)

As for the original post, UU Christians would definitely be progressive. I'm guessing one reason many UU Christians choose to attend a UU church is that they are uncomfortable in even the more liberal Christian churches.

I've seen Unitarian churches (gathering places?) in Canada, but have never attended. Don't know much about the Unitarians. But as I read the above posts, certain themes seemed to emerge. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that Unitarianism (a non-Christian denomination) is being equated with humanism. Would this be correct? Because if this is correct, would it then follow that humanism is not considered a Christian ideal by many Christians? ??? :o

Like . . . how is it possible to live according to the Way if you believe inclusiveness and self-actualization are bad things?

I don't get this. Maybe it's because I was raised in a secular, humanist household. Or maybe it's because I grew up at a time in Canada when we started to catch on to the whole "universal health care and education" thing. Discrimination is a bad word where I live. There's a lot of social disapprobation for being a racist or a bigot or a misogynist. To me, this is a good thing. In the United Church of Canada congregation I belong to, humanist values are taken for granted. They're the starting point for volunteerism. They're the starting point for fellowship. Nothing to apologize for. This is an ordinary church -- nothing strange or fancy about it. God and humanism fit very nicely together.

Any thoughts?

Love Jen

Archived