Marcus Borg: The Last Week

luthitarian

When I came across this book at my local library, I knew it was a winner, given the authors. I've read stuff by each of them, and figured anything these guys co-authored had to be really good!

I wasn't disappointed in the least! It deals with the final week of Jesus, from Palm (or Passion) Sunday, until the following Sunday of Easter morning. It follows the Gospel of Mark for two reasons: one, it is the oldest, and closer to the time of Jesus to start with, and two, it is the only gospel that gives not only a day by day account, but also breaks down the days into times, or watches. It would be handy almost as a commentary on that portion of the Gospel of Mark, given its passage by passage study.

I no more than turned it in to the library when I was finished, but I went on Amazon and ordered my own copy. :) Luth

I've read just about everything from Borg. I haven't read anything from Spong. I think I'll give this book a try.  :)

I didn't mention Spong, but now that you bring him up, he's a darn good one to read, too! You might start with Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism, Why Christianity Must Change or Die, and A New Christianity for a New World. These taken together form what might almost be a manifesto for Progressive Christianity. Great stuff!! ;)

I've read just about everything from Borg. I haven't read anything from Spong. I think I'll give this book a try.  :)

I didn't mention Spong, but now that you bring him up, he's a darn good one to read, too! You might start with Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism, Why Christianity Must Change or Die, and A New Christianity for a New World. These taken together form what might almost be a manifesto for Progressive Christianity. Great stuff!! ;)

From where I sit, it doesn't hurt that he self-identifies as a 'disciple' of Paul Tillich--he da man! :)

I didn't mention Spong, but now that you bring him up, he's a darn good one to read, too!

Dang it! I meant Crossan. I had Crossan's face pictured in my mind when I wrote the reply. I don't know why I said Spong. Argh!

Aletheia,

Perhaps it was a 'Freudian Slip' of which I also have been known to slip into now and then!

If you try Spong I suggest This Hebrew Lord... which you will undoubtably find that Spong is very much a follower of Jesus... an easy read!

Good luck,

Dave

I didn't mention Spong, but now that you bring him up, he's a darn good one to read, too!

Dang it! I meant Crossan. I had Crossan's face pictured in my mind when I wrote the reply. I don't know why I said Spong. Argh!

Aletheia,

Perhaps it was a 'Freudian Slip' of which I also have been known to slip into now and then!

If you try Spong I suggest This Hebrew Lord... which you will undoubtably find that Spong is very much a follower of Jesus... an easy read!

Good luck,

Dave

Don't ask Jerry Falwell if he thinks Spong is a follower of Jesus. :rolleyes: Would you believe Spong's first church as a new pastor was in Falls Chruch, VA where Falwell and his Liberty Christian Church thrive? I think they may have locked horns way back then, even.

Isn't it fascinating how well G-d arranges certain "coincidences" ? Which reminds me of one of my favorite observations of the ongoing conflict between G-d and the "adversary"

G-d is subtle and not malicious.

The enemy is subtle and malicious.

flow.... ;)