Is This The Place......

Gnosteric

Hello everyone. Is this the place for a Gnostic who believes that there was never a historical Jesus, but believes the "Jesus myth" to contain the most important spiritual truths available? The place for someone who longs for Gnosis and holds out hope that the active Christ will offset the "origional flaw" of the creator? Can this be a "cyber-home" for someone who believes we all have a "Divine Spark" that needs to find its way back to God? Is Gnostic Christianty an accepted version of Progressive Christianity?

If so, then I'd like to stay. :D

I think you could find a home here. We're a pretty eclectic bunch. I don't hold to gnosticism as it's commonly understood, but I do think gnosis is an important facet of spirituality and religion. I fall somewhat in the philosophical Taoist / Christian / eclectic camp.

I do believe there was a historical person named Jesus, but it's the "myth" about him that I find so very satisfying. I appreciate the perennial truths that are found in all religions, but I find those same truths to be the 'most true' when viewed through the lense of Christian incarnation theology . :)

It would be great if you'd stay! Welcome aboard!

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Gnosteric:

I believe you'll some of the things you're looking for here since most us are still on quests looking for kernels of truth that surface in the stories that have been handed down to us.

There are some great discussion threads here, but things haven't been very active recently. I suggest reading through some of the past's discussions. There have been some great ones since I joined last year.

Above all do not be hesitant about asking anything or saying anything. We learn very few things without asking questions. Your first post was full of them. That's very healthy. Gnosis (knowing) is impossible without questions.

Welcome !

flow.... :)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I don't hold to gnosticism as it's commonly understood, but I do think gnosis is an important facet of spirituality and religion.

Which "common understanding?" There are so many of them! :blink: That is the reason that I'm more comfortable with the terms Gnosis and Gnostic but less so with Gnosticism. There are Pagan Gnostics, Christian Gnostics, Jewish Gnostics, Islamic Gnostics, Universalist Gnostics, New Age Gnostics, Dan Brown Gnostics......the list goes on.

We learn very few things without asking questions. Your first post was full of them. That's very healthy. Gnosis (knowing) is impossible without questions.

That is a great compliment. In their book "Jesus and the Lost Goddess" Timothy Freke & Peter Gandy dedicate their book to "those who know they do not know." I'm clearly in that camp. :D

Fatherman, keep em' coming!

I don't hold to gnosticism as it's commonly understood, but I do think gnosis is an important facet of spirituality and religion.

Which "common understanding?" There are so many of them! :blink: That is the reason that I'm more comfortable with the terms Gnosis and Gnostic but less so with Gnosticism. There are Pagan Gnostics, Christian Gnostics, Jewish Gnostics, Islamic Gnostics, Universalist Gnostics, New Age Gnostics, Dan Brown Gnostics......the list goes on.

Heh. Too true. :D

I think perhaps a better way for me to have worded my above comment is: I don't hold to a literal interpretation of pagan/Christian gnosticism, ala the cosmos is literally ruled by an evil being, or that the world of matter is evil and must be escaped ... etc ... I know that is a stereotype, but unfortunately, there are many 'stereotypical' gnostics out there.

It could be that perhaps where you are using the word gnostic, I might use the word esoteric. It's all good with me though. B)