What Happened To America's Jesus

October's Autumn

Thank you the article was inspirational and acurate.

To follow in the steps of Jesus Christ does not mean that we worship Jesus as an idol, but that we follow him as our divine example, a consciousness embodying the deepest meaning of life. I don't think this is taught in the churches in America. To follow Christ we need to make real our own inner meaning of life as Christ did as an example for humanity to love. To do this we need to make an effort with sincerity and devotion equal to Christ's, to live our own life in a perfect way.

http://thinkunity.com

I read this really good editorial on Yahoo! News. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060213/...nA2BHNlYwM3NDI-

Hi October,

I read the editorial,and it really shook me to the core. I think the one line that got my attention was the one that said,"In America, Jesus has been KIDNAPPED by preachers and politicians".

I must sadly admit that is true. But my next question is..."why are we standing by and letting that happen"?

I am about ready to borrow someone's quote,"We're mad as hell...and we're not going to take it anymore" Wish I could remember who said that.

Keep us thinking October!

Blessings To You Friend,

Jerry

"I am about ready to borrow someone's quote,"We're mad as hell...and we're not going to take it anymore" Wish I could remember who said that.

Keep us thinking October!"

I can't remember the character's name, but he was brilliantly played by Peter Finch who was a network anchor in the prophetic film, Network, which also starred William Holden and Faye Dunnaway. The original story and screenplay by Paddy Chayevsky is one of the greatest and most prescient ever written. Rent and watch a copy. You'll shudder at how close to today's realities it comes, especially if you're familiar with what's on FOX .

flow.... :o

Edited by flowperson

OK Flow, this time you beat me to the punch. Yes , the quote was from the movie Network starring Peter Finch . They don't make movies like that anymore.

The hijacking of Jesus , the Man of sorrows , who came to preach good news to the poor, is profoundly sad . But before we get too down I saw in one of the Chicago papers that a large number of Christians from Mennonite to UCC paid hommage to Charles Darwin a couple of days ago. I think it was in honor of his birthday . I don't know how well it was covered in the mainstream media but it was in the Sun Times and the New York Times.

MOW

What's happened to Jesus in America ?

Planned obsolescence !

flow.... :(

Hi flow,

I'm intrigued by your term"Planned obsolescence" Could you expand a little more on how you think that happened?

I always look forward to your take on things.

Blessings to you my friend,

Jerry

It's kind of like the wrestling smackdowns on TV I think. Just when social justice and caring about the plight of those less fortunate than the mainstream begins to gain some steam and traction as it did during the lives of FDR, JFK, MLK, Princess Diana, yes, even Pres. Bill and other secular leading lights of the type, the movements get smacked down by wars, assassinations, questionable accidents, scandalous escapades... you get the picture. It's not so much a political thing as much as it is about which white guy wins the argument

Unless I'm very mistaken the timing of such interventions out of the darkness seems not to be so accidental. What we are seeing are negative reactions to the goodness preached by Jesus and exemplified in the life that we have been told that he led; and, yet when others seem to gain a modicum of making parts of His promise come true in today's realities, there are the smackdowns.

It seems to have happened a little bit too often in my memory for it all to be accdental. What I believe it is is evil in action; for, those who try to emulate Jesus' works in the real world of today seem always to be unfairly punished just for trying to make the world of the common people a little more bearable. I believe also that America's spiralling descent into mainly materialistic policies that began just after the Civil War has contributed to the acceleration of this now increasingly noticeable cyclical phenomenon.

This is a very ancient thing and is probably the modern and post modern version of what the ancients spoke of as the war between the sons of light and the sons of darkness which is a central theme of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Of course today both sexes are involved in these secular battles, so I substitute "children" for "sons" when I refer to the phenomenon now. But there is absolutely nothing that we can do about the cycle because it is a built-in feature of human societies IMO.

G-d as the author of history planned it this way so that the dynamic interplay of the very beginnings could move humanity forward through time based upon the living, reproducing, working, and dying of us. We remember and act accordingly in loving and non-violent ways, for that is how we have been taught to survive for our progenys' sake.

Planned ? Yes.

Obsolescence ? Others have recently commented here that Christainity is becoming increasingly outmoded in its traditional forms and needs some sort of transformation. Maybe . But when our older vehicles become obsolete, there are new models to fill the need. Inventing new ways of belief certainly is not like buying a new model car. I believe that this website is a place where aspects of the new might be unwrapped little by little. Let us all continue doing just that.

flow.... :unsure:

Edited by flowperson

What's happened to Jesus in America ?

Planned obsolescence !

flow.... :(

Hi flow,

I'm intrigued by your term"Planned obsolescence" Could you expand a little more on how you think that happened?

I always look forward to your take on things.

Blessings to you my friend,

Jerry

It's kind of like the wrestling smackdowns on TV I think. Just when social justice and caring about the plight of those less fortunate than the mainstream begins to gain some steam and traction as it did during the lives of FDR, JFK, MLK, Princess Diana, yes, even Pres. Bill and other secular leading lights of the type, the movements get smacked down by wars, assassinations, questionable accidents, scandalous escapades... you get the picture. It's not so much a political thing as much as it is about which white guy wins the argument

Unless I'm very mistaken the timing of such interventions out of the darkness seems not to be so accidental. What we are seeing are negative reactions to the goodness preached by Jesus and exemplified in the life that we have been told that he led; and, yet when others seem to gain a modicum of making parts of His promise come true in today's realities, there are the smackdowns.

It seems to have happened a little bit too often in my memory for it all to be accdental. What I believe it is is evil in action; for, those who try to emulate Jesus' works in the real world of today seem always to be unfairly punished just for trying to make the world of the common people a little more bearable. I believe also that America's spiralling descent into mainly materialistic policies that began just after the Civil War has contributed to the acceleration of this now increasingly noticeable cyclical phenomenon.

This is a very ancient thing and is probably the modern and post modern version of what the ancients spoke of as the war between the sons of light and the sons of darkness which is a central theme of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Of course today both sexes are involved in these secular battles, so I substitute "children" for "sons" when I refer to the phenomenon now. But there is absolutely nothing that we can do about the cycle because it is a built-in feature of human societies IMO.

G-d as the author of history planned it this way so that the dynamic interplay of the very beginnings could move humanity forward through time based upon the living, reproducing, working, and dying of us. We remember and act accordingly in loving and non-violent ways, for that is how we have been taught to survive for our progenys' sake.

Planned ? Yes.

Obsolescence ? Others have recently commented here that Christainity is becoming increasingly outmoded in its traditional forms and needs some sort of transformation. Maybe . But when our older vehicles become obsolete, there are new models to fill the need. Inventing new ways of belief certainly is not like buying a new model car. I believe that this website is a place where aspects of the new might be unwrapped little by little. Let us all continue doing just that.

flow.... :unsure:

Flow....

I like what you said about'aspects of the new belief being unwrapped little by little'. I guess I'm like a kid at Christmas....can't wait to see what's inside those beautiful wrapped packages. But I do believe you're right about that gradual unwrapping,at least that's how it's been in my experience of God.

And by the way...I believe some of those'beautifully wrapped packages', are posting on this board every day. You are one of them...so keep showing us the way.

Blessings to you,

Jerry