Making all things new

mystictrek

Can progressive people of faith rooted in the Christian and Jewish traditions (progressive Christians, progressive Jews) join together with progressive people of other faith traditions to create a new kind of faith community which creates a new era of global peace, justice and sustainable abundance?

Of course we can! And here’s how: By working with our Creator and each other to create the New Church (or the New Synagogue) for the New Age which is actively participating in the creation of “new heavens and a new earth." (Isaiah 65:17).

I’m rooted in Christian tradition so I am comfortable with the term “church.” You may want to substititute “synagogue” or “mosque” or ‘temple” or “ashram” or something else from your tradition. I will fall back on my tradition and stick with the term I know best, church.

The New Church for the New Age is:

non-hierarchical, free, open, loving, caring, compassionate, healing, energizing,inclusive, humble, non-judgmental, fun, creative, yours, mine.

I am convinced that Jesus never meant

for the church to be a closed, hierarchical, authoritarian,

nationalistic and denomination-alistic institution.

I believe we are in the early stages of a GREAT EVOLUTIONARY LEAP FORWARD (the GELF). This is a huge transformation in consciousness, a massive paradigm shift. People rooted in traditional faith orientations are not immune from the big changes happening on our planet. Indeed many people of faith are at the very vanguard of these momentous changes. I’m glad about that. While some are resisting these changes, others are welcoming them and even making them happen. I identify myself with those who welcome the GELF and are gladly contributing to its success. How about you?

Unfortunately, many Christians are resisting the GELF. But many others are eager to participate. Rather than identifying myself as a Christian, I choose to call myself a person rooted in the Christian faith tradition now seeking new ways to be faithful. The term Christian has, unfortunately, become associated with a lot of negative baggage. Christianity as we have known it may not be able to recover. This is not a bad thing if a new faith associated with the GELF can incorporate many of the best ideas of the Christian tradition along with many of the best ideas of other faith traditions. I don’t think this new kind of faith has a name yet. Maybe it is so radically different that it never will have a name! After all, the most holy is mysterious and unknowable and unnameable. Is that a word?!

I will fall back on the simple term of “progressive Christian” from time to time but I want you to know what I mean by that term. The Center for Progressive Christianity -- http://www.tcpc.org/ -- has developed a list of 8 points -- https://www.tcpc.org/about/the_8_points.html -- describing the beliefs and values of progressive Christians. Marcus Borg has recently offered a comprehensive picture of the “emerging paradigm” of progressive Christianity in THE HEART OF CHRISTIANITY.

I will fall back on some other traditional Christian terms since I am so familiar with them and they still make sense to me and a lot of people. For example, I continue to love the idea of church and, more than that, I am quite committed to participating in church life and have been all my life. But I am just as willing to use terms and ideas from other faith traditions and from new movements of the spirit such as the New Age Movement, the Green movement, Rock’n”Roll music, World Music and many more.

The foundational philosophy I am using is called the perennial philosophy or mysticism. One of the most descriptive studies of the perennial philosophy is THE PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY by Aldous Huxley. Alan Watts described how the Christian tradition fits in to the perennial philosophy in MYTH AND RITUAL IN CHRISTIANITY.

My approach is to report on and to encourage the “new thing” God is doing now. I like the metaphor of an amazing journey. I am committed to promoting this amazing journey of faith and adventure and exploration and discovery. We are pilgrims together. We are explorers and pioneers working with God and each other in a creative process which will make sure that our planet not only survives but thrives. We are joining together with pilgrims of all ages and places who have been working on this mission since humanity began and will until humanity ends. We are all pilgrims on this journey. People of faith are the people who have become aware that we are pilgrims and are eager to get on with the pilgrimage and, in the process, save the planet.

What’s required? Enthusiasm, which means simply “God within us.”

As we explore and create together, I am going to point out a variety of ways where God is working with us to make all things new, to create the new, most holy, fantastic, glorious realm of abundance, joy, wisdom, beauty, love, truth, peace, justice and freedom. This is what heaven is. Our planet is a holy part of heaven. “I am creating new heavens and a new earth.” (Isaiah 65:17) “See I am making all things new.” (Revelation 21:5) “I am about to do a new thing … “ (Isaiah 43:18) This amazing journey journey, therefore, begins and ends in heaven. We never leave heaven. We can’t. It only seems like we can. That’s an illusion.

All aboard! Bon Voyage!

+++

Can progressive people of faith rooted in the Christian and Jewish traditions (progressive Christians, progressive Jews) join together with progressive people of other faith traditions to create a new kind of faith community which creates a new era of global peace, justice and sustainable abundance?

Of course we can!  And here’s how: By working with our Creator and each other to create the New Church (or the New Synagogue) for the New Age which is actively participating in the creation of “new heavens and a new earth." (Isaiah 65:17).

I’m rooted in Christian tradition so I am comfortable with the term “church.”  You may want to substititute “synagogue” or “mosque” or ‘temple” or “ashram” or something else from your tradition.  I will fall back on my tradition and stick with the term I know best, church.

The New Church for the New Age is:

non-hierarchical, free, open, loving, caring, compassionate, healing, energizing,inclusive, humble, non-judgmental, fun, creative, yours, mine.

I am convinced that Jesus never meant

for the church to be a closed, hierarchical, authoritarian,

nationalistic and denomination-alistic institution. 

I believe we are in the early stages of a GREAT EVOLUTIONARY LEAP FORWARD (the GELF). This is a huge transformation in consciousness, a massive paradigm shift. People rooted in traditional faith orientations are not immune from the big changes happening on our planet.  Indeed many people of faith are at the very vanguard of these momentous changes.  I’m glad about that.  While some are resisting these changes, others are welcoming them and even making them happen. I identify myself with those who welcome the GELF and are gladly contributing to its success.  How about you?

Unfortunately, many Christians are resisting the GELF.  But many others are eager to participate.  Rather than identifying myself as a Christian, I choose to call myself a person rooted in the Christian faith tradition now seeking new ways to be faithful.  The term Christian has, unfortunately, become associated with a lot of negative baggage.  Christianity as we have known it may not be able to recover.  This is not a bad thing if a new faith associated with the GELF can incorporate many of the best ideas of the Christian tradition along with many of the best ideas of other faith traditions.  I don’t think this new kind of faith has a name yet.  Maybe it is so radically different that it never will have a name!  After all, the most holy is mysterious and unknowable and unnameable.  Is that a word?!

I will fall back on the simple term of “progressive Christian” from time to time but I want you to know what I mean by that term.  The Center for Progressive Christianity -- http://www.tcpc.org/ -- has developed a list of 8 points -- https://www.tcpc.org/about/the_8_points.html -- describing the beliefs and values of progressive Christians.  Marcus Borg has recently offered a comprehensive picture of the “emerging paradigm” of progressive Christianity in THE HEART OF CHRISTIANITY. 

I will fall back on some other traditional Christian terms since I am so familiar with them and they still make sense to me and a lot of people.  For example, I continue to love the idea of church and, more than that, I am quite committed to participating in church life and have been all my life.  But I am just as willing to use terms and ideas from other faith traditions and from new movements of the spirit such as the New Age Movement, the Green movement, Rock’n”Roll music, World Music and many more. 

The foundational philosophy I am using is called the perennial philosophy or mysticism.  One of the most descriptive studies of the perennial philosophy is THE PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY by Aldous Huxley.  Alan Watts described how the Christian tradition fits in to the perennial philosophy in MYTH AND RITUAL IN CHRISTIANITY.

My approach is to report on and to encourage the “new thing” God is doing now.  I like the metaphor of an amazing journey.  I am committed to promoting this amazing journey of faith and adventure and exploration and discovery.  We are pilgrims together.  We are explorers and pioneers working with God and each other in a creative process which will make sure that our planet not only survives but thrives.  We are joining together with pilgrims of all ages and places who have been working on this mission since humanity began and will until humanity ends.  We are all pilgrims on this journey.  People of faith are the people who have become aware that we are pilgrims and are eager to get on with the pilgrimage and, in the process, save the planet. 

What’s required?  Enthusiasm, which means simply “God within us.”

As we explore and create together, I am going to point out a variety of ways where God is working with us to make all things new, to create the new, most holy, fantastic, glorious realm of abundance, joy, wisdom, beauty, love, truth, peace, justice and freedom.  This is what heaven is.  Our planet is a holy part of heaven.  “I am creating new heavens and a new earth.” (Isaiah 65:17) “See I am making all things new.” (Revelation 21:5) “I am about to do a new thing … “ (Isaiah 43:18) This amazing journey journey, therefore, begins and ends in heaven.  We never leave heaven.  We can’t.  It only seems like we can.  That’s an illusion. 

All aboard!  Bon Voyage!

+++

Mystictrek,

I'm with you on this...especially the part where you said" Christianity as we know it may not be able to recover". I am reasonablly sure that statement is true.

Ever since I read Bishop Spong's book"Why christianity must change or die",

I have been asking myself the question,'Is christianity willing to change THAT much'? and I'm afraid the answer is a resounding No!

Have you read the book? If so, I'd be interested in your take on it.

Joining you on this voyage'

Jerry

Mystictrek,

I'm with you on this...especially the part where you said" Christianity as we know it may not be able to recover". I am reasonablly sure that statement is true.

Ever since I read Bishop Spong's book"Why christianity must change or die",

I have been asking myself the question,'Is christianity willing to change THAT much'? and I'm afraid the answer is a resounding No!

Have you read the book? If so, I'd be interested in your take on it.

Joining you on this voyage'

Jerry

I am familiar with Bishop Spong's ideas and resonate. But he is so "in your face"! Marcus Borg says so many of the same things in a much more humble and gentle way. I am leading a study group on THE HEART OF CHRISTIANITY right now at my Presbyterian Church. Group is really excited about it.

A book which states a lot of my beliefs is QUANTUM THEOLOGY by Diarmuid O'Murchu. WOW! Also, anything by Sallie McFague.

My friend John Preston has written a book which is due out this month. Can't wait to readi it.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the Christian evolution is picking up steam and becoming a revolution. Nice to see so many books with new ideas. The enthusiam can be seen in the post in this thread.

Our higher self wants the illumination of the fire, but not the consuming flames of the lower mind because it knows the blaze revolutionizes the mind, transforming it from the ego to the soul. In the higher part of the mind we don’t want a small god to whom we can talk casually every once in awhile, but an all encompassing, ever present God that consumes and changes our live totally. Rock on!!!!!!!!

http://thinkunity.com