What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit?

soma

Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul" (soul = nephesh in Hebrew).

The soul is life to the body.

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (ruwach - Breath of Life) shall return unto God who gave it" (Ecclesiastes 12:7). When God "taketh away their breath (ruwach), they (men) die, and return to their dust" (Psalm 104:29).

James 2:26, "For as the body without the spirit is dead..."

John 3:6, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

God is spirit so to walk with God and communicate with God one must walk in his spirit.

The soul that gives life to the body; and spirit to communicate with God.

Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul" (soul = nephesh in Hebrew).

The soul is life to the body.

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (ruwach - Breath of Life) shall return unto God who gave it" (Ecclesiastes 12:7). When God "taketh away their breath (ruwach), they (men) die, and return to their dust" (Psalm 104:29).

James 2:26, "For as the body without the spirit is dead..."

John 3:6, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

God is spirit so to walk with God and communicate with God one must walk in his spirit.

The soul that gives life to the body; and spirit to communicate with God.

Hi Soma...good post

I heard Depak Chopra say recently..." The barrier between our mind and our soul is 'paper thin'. And he went on to say..."The more the mind thinks about the soul,the closer it is drawn to it." The mind keeps getting closer and closer to the soul, until one day, the mind actually falls into the soul, and becomes one with it.

I like that analogy....what do you think?

Yes, I like what you guys wrote. Especially falling into the soul. It is beyond the mind so we read, good books, mediatate, go to ceremonies and yes, dance to point our subconsciousness in the right direction and then I think Jung says we fall into the collective unconsciousness. Thanks it is all becoming clear now, ready for take off.

From Jung:

"If we are to do justice to the essence of the thing we call spirit, we should really speak of a 'higher' consciousness rather than the unconscious."

Life and spirit are two powers or necessities between which man is placed. Spirit gives meaning to his life, and the possibility of its greatest development. But life is essential to spirit, since it's truth is nothing if it cannot live ("Spirit and Life", 1926 Baynes translation)."

"Natural life is the nourishing soil of the soul. Anyone who fails to go along with life remains suspended, stiff and rigid in midair ("The Soul and Death", as translated for The Collected Works, 1960)."

For Jung, the Collective Unconscious is pretty much the seat of the Soul but adds that the Soul is mostly concerned with how to live (and die) and that the Soul cannot be approached by mere "rationalistic opinion."

minsocal :D

Another haiku verse that once came to me out of the blue goes:

" It is better to dance in the light,

Than to stand rigid in the darkness. "

Looks like it fits in with our thoughts on this thread. Consider it a contribution from the spirit world because that's where it originally came from, even though I wrote it down along with 103 others. Let's see... that leaves 101 to go before you guys have them all.

Flow.... :rolleyes:

Looks like it fits in with our thoughts on this thread. Consider it a contribution from the spirit world because that's where it originally came from, even though I wrote it down along with 103 others. Let's see... that leaves 101 to go before you guys have them all.

I remember Joseph Campbell talking about his encounter with a Japanese Zen master who said ... "we don't have a theology, we don't have an ideology ... we just dance".

minsocal :rolleyes:

I believe the concept of "spirit" is Hebrew. It refers to the ancient mystery of being alive. "The breath of life."

The concept of "soul" is a Greek one. Soul is what is trying to escape from the body which is corrupt.

We see both together in Christianity because of its Jewish origins and later Greek influence. In reality it is two clashing ideas as semitic belief does not have a need to have something leave a corrupt body because the body is not considered corrupt.

Of course, they have both taken on a life of their own as far as meaning goes. I remember as a teenager have the pastor attempt to explain the difference. I believe the egg analogy was used. The explanation was suspect.

I remember Joseph Campbell talking about his encounter with a Japanese Zen master who said ... "we don't have a theology, we don't have an ideology ... we just dance".

minsocal :rolleyes:

Minsocal....I like your post on this subject. And wouldn't it be great to have a theology and still dance?

Blessings,

Jerry