Reading The Bible In A Year

A friend of mine had a paper about reading the bible in the year. I've never done that and thought it might be an interesting pursuit. I looked up the schedule online and was pretty disappointed. It basically takes the Bible from Genesis to Revelations and divides it into 365 days! That is no way to read the bible! I would think it would make more sense to read it in sections so you can compare parts of it. Like reading the sections of the synoptic gospels that match and kind of match and then don't match. That would certainly be more interesting.

So, I wonder if I can find someone who has done that or if I'm going to have to do it myself -- divise a method of reading the bible "properly." Not that there is "only" one proper way, but cover to cover doesn't seem to make much sense from a literary, historical point of view, anyhow.

Edited by October's Autumn

Many bibles have a schedule in the back that gives you OT and NT passages each day.  Also, many websites have plans - some will even read aloud to you!  Try google for 1 year bible reading - 25 Million results!!! :D

I guess when I have some time I can go through them and see if any organize them in a meaningful way!

Many bibles have a schedule in the back that gives you OT and NT passages each day.  Also, many websites have plans - some will even read aloud to you!  Try google for 1 year bible reading - 25 Million results!!! :D

I guess when I have some time I can go through them and see if any organize them in a meaningful way!

When I followed the schedule in the back of my Bible, I would read topically at other times, too. It's actually not all that much reading when it's everyday. I understand what you write about wanting to be able to make comparisons at a single sitting, but it is amazing how you can make those comparisons over years instead. One reason I quit reading the Old Testament each year was that the same issues would come up for me each year, driving me to books on apologetics, driving me to ask God about it. Eventually I got my answer - to my mind even God has problems with the Bible. I wouldn't have felt like that in a day.

In the New Testament it is also interesting to deal with the same issue one day each year. Every May 17 for many years I read about the resurrection of condemnation in John 5:29. My reactions to that fermented for a long time, knowing each time I read it was the same as the year before. Then popped out what I shared here on January 1. Not everyone values such a thing, but I did. The reading schedule gave me time to process what my reading of the Bible really is.

I wish I knew how to help people see that the words of the Bible are the words of men, not God. There is no perfect way to learn that, no perfect way to read the Bible to understand that, that it is contradictory, that it is artificial. Atheists make such long lists of problems with the Bible. One could just sit down with one of those that attack the Bible verse by verse and a book of apologetics that defend the Bible verse by verse, then see what one decides. That would take at least a year to do comprehensively. I didn't do that much, just what came to me, repetitively. There are many ways to do it.

Well you can easily read something like the Dartmouth bible. They take out all the reduncies and begats and you have a not so fat book. Of course I read Harry Potter in a couple days, Bible should be no problem. :-)

--des