Where Do I Fit?

I wonder where I fit in in Christianity. I used to be an evangelical but I dont consider myself one anymore and wonder where I fit in. I believe the Bible to be authoritative on matters of faith and life, but it is not a science book nor a history book. I do not believe that I, as a female, should be restricted in any way simply because of my gender. The Nicene Creed is a good sum of what I believe. I believe gay people should be treated like everyone else. I am not a Republican and I do not think politics and religion should mix anywhere near as much as some people seem to want them to.

So, where do I fit? Please don't put me with the fundies. I used to be one and don't want to go back.

Sure sounds to me like you fit in the "progressive" group. B)

We've had discussions in the past as to what the term "progressive" even means. See back threads on the "8 points." While not all of us agree with all 8 of the points, they are a decent starting point. I think I'd be labeled (there's that stereotype thing again) as a "moderate" more than liberal. Then again, it depends on who I'm talking to.

I'm learning to appreciate the Apostolic and Nicene creeds. As an ex-Jehovah's Witness, the ideas and terminology there were quite foreign. It's taken me a long time to move beyond literalism and legalism.

I wonder where I fit in in Christianity. I used to be an evangelical but I dont consider myself one anymore and wonder where I fit in. I believe the Bible to be authoritative on matters of faith and life, but it is not a science book nor a history book. I do not believe that I, as a female, should be restricted in any way simply because of my gender. The Nicene Creed is a good sum of what I believe.  I believe gay people should be treated like everyone else.  I am not a Republican and I do not think politics and religion should mix anywhere near as much as some people seem to want them to.

So, where do I fit? Please don't put me with the fundies. I used to be one and don't want to go back.

You are definitely one of us. Hope you stay here and enjoy the abundant feast provided.

BD

I think that I know you from Beliefnet.

As I recall, about a year ago you were moving to Atlanta and getting married. Further, you were considering some formal study in theology, and Verdugo and I were encouraging you to look into the seminaries there.

It is good to see you over here. I think you belong.

BD

I think that I know you from Beliefnet.

As I recall, about a year ago you were moving to Atlanta and getting married.  Further, you were considering some formal study in theology, and Verdugo and I were encouraging you to look into the seminaries there.

It is good to see you over here.  I think you belong.

Yes this is the same person:)

• 1 month later...

Hi BD,

I agree with what other folks have said about the danger of labels, but like you, I also see the value of them. All nouns are labels, after all, and are helpful as long as they are applied correctly.

When I was still very involved in the Evangelical community (I managed a Christian bookstore for 15 years) I described myself as a Liberal Evangelical. I had heard someone describe C.S. Lewis this way and whoever it was, maybe Peter Kreeft, said that a Liberal Evangelical moves reflexively away from fundamentalism, but stays within the bounds of orthodoxy. The position you describe regarding gays and the roles of women can be defended strongly within orthodoxy. Tony Campolo is a well known Liberal Evangelical. I have a CD from a speaking engagement where he does some good exegesis on what the bible says about homosexuality showing that what the bible has to say on the matter falls within the kosher laws and should be treated accordingly. I recommend Tony to my Conservative and Evangelical friends who find gay-bashing offensive and want a scriptural response for how they feel.

From my reading of Borg, Spong, and other PC luminaries and from my reading and participation in various PC forums I would say that most of those within the PC camp do not hold to the Nicene Creed, at least not as a summary of their belief. They might recognize it as a historical document that marks a stage of development in Christianity, but would not find it adequate to describe what is now known about Jesus and the documents that claim to tell who he is. I might be wrong on this one, and others will correct me, I’m sure.

I am curious to know how you are finding the TCPC website and message board so far. What are the areas that resonate with you the most? Others have extended the welcome mat and suggested that you have found home. How does that sit with you? I agree with others that once you reach a certain level in your journey no place, except the journey, is truly home, but there are some pretty nice pubs along the way. Perhaps TCPC is one of those pubs.

:)