New Tv Show Book Of Daniel

NEWS

'Book of Daniel' Creator Rallies to Save TV Show from Cancellation

Kevin Eckstrom

01-18-06

(RNS) The creator of NBC's "The Book of Daniel" is warning viewers that "bullies" at the American Family Association may succeed in their fight to kill the show unless viewers speak up.

Jack Kenny, the creative force behind the prime-time drama about an Episcopal priest and his dysfunctional family, posted his appeal on a blog, www.blogofdaniel.com, that is hosted by the Episcopal Diocese of Washington.

Kenny asked fans to contact stations in support of the show, and thank a dwindling number of sponsors for advertising during the Friday show, which airs at 10 p.m. Eastern time. "Ordinarily, I would never ask anyone to do this, but the AFA and bullies like them are hard at work to try and prevent you from seeing these beautiful shows, and that is censorship -- pure and simple," Kenny wrote. "And that is both un-Christian and un-American."

The Tupelo, Miss.-based AFA has rallied opposition to the show's lurid content -- especially the Jesus character, which they say is disrespectful. The show features a pill-popping priest, his alcoholic wife, a daughter who sells drugs and a gay son.

So far, AFA officials say 11 NBC affiliates in Tennessee, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and Indiana have refused to air the show. In addition, AFA officials said four companies have pulled their ads during the show, and only one company -- Burlington Coat Factory -- continues to advertise during "The Book of Daniel."

"NBC is losing between two and three million dollars each time they air `The Book of Daniel,"' AFA chairman Donald Wildmon said. "With those kinds of losses, NBC may decide to cancel the show."

NBC has only committed to eight episodes. Kenny, a self-described "unaffiliated Christian," said the next three episodes (scheduled to air Jan. 20, Jan. 27 and Feb. 3) are important to the characters' development.

"Please believe me when I tell you that the stories that we are about to tell you ... are the most heartbreakingly beautiful stories I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with," Kenny said.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still willing to give it a few more weeks, if they don't cancel it. I think of how horrible Star Trek TNG was the first year, but I stuck with it and am glad I did. :)

But I second Cynthia: Bring back Joan! Although, I am really enjoying Ghost Whisperer. Of course, I love all things supernatural, including "Supernatural." B)

I think of how horrible Star Trek TNG was the first year, but I stuck with it and am glad I did.  :)

Oh, man, was it ever bad. It was so bad that I couldn't bring myself to watch it again until season 3 -- and by then it was already incredible. Pretty much all we watch now is Medium, Lost, and Invasion, because they're good, and happen to fall in the slots when both of us aren't working or watching John. :)

I watch way too much TV, but luckily, since at any given time about 50% of what is on is repeats, I'm not actually watching all the shows all the time. :blink:

Sunday: Desperate Housewives

Monday: Surface (only 3 more episodes) & CSI

Tuesday: NCIS, House and Law&Order

Weds: Lost and Invasion or CSI

Thurs: Smallville and CSI

Frid: Ghost Whisperer and Monk

I'll put Dead Zone back in my to watch list, when it comes back on. I'll watch Cold Case or Without a Trace from time to time too.

Just in case you think all I do is watch TV, in my defense I DVR them and we watch them when we get the time. ;)

If I had to choose what ones I couldn't give up, it would be Lost, House and Monk. :D

"It's a jungle out there, disorder and confusion everywhere. No-one seems to care, but I do. Hey! Who's in charge here?"

TV Schedule:

Sunday: Desperate Housewives and Crossing Jordan

Monday: Medium

Tuesday: Scrubs; sometimes SVU

Weds: Alias!

Thurs: Smallville; My Name is Earl; The Office

Frid: NUMB3RS an d a new show I can't remember the name of!

Sat: Rent a movie

Sometimes I watch CSI. I got tired of the Law & Order shows and CSI was a nice switch. I like the one with Jorga Fox on it best.

I'll put Dead Zone back in my to watch list, when it comes back on. I'll watch Cold Case or Without a Trace from time to time too.

Just in case you think all I do is watch TV, in my defense I DVR them and we watch them when we get the time.  ;)

If I had to choose what ones I couldn't give up, it would be Lost, House and Monk.  :D

"It's a jungle out there, disorder and confusion everywhere. No-one seems to care, but I do. Hey! Who's in charge here?"

Lest she forget, when The 4400 returns we'll be adding this to our must watch list. :D -

The not so active husband ;)

Edited by felix angler

Oh yikes, remember the FIRST episode of STNG, and Deana's constant: "great pain, oooh ahhh". If we had kept hearing that it would have been a VERY long 7 years. I did stay with it, as much because it was Star Trek as anything. I thought year 7 was pretty miserable, as were the movies. BTW, the one episode in year one that was wonderful (but terribly acted) was the one where the traveler had them at the edge of the universe in a place where their thoughts became real. I thought it was one of the most profound episodes of the whole series. I thought the acting of the Traveler was fair, but most of the acting was very wooden. Even Patrick Stewart has come a long way.

--des

I would say that most of the acting was wooden, but I thoroughly enjoyed the series, especially Data and Q. The holodeck sequences were also pretty neat since alot of us are in alternative realities from time to time, or at least it seems that way to me. Worf was also a good character. Kinda like a warrior Wookie.

flow.... :D

Star Trek questions (not trivia):

a. If you want to get a Vulcan to do whatever you want what do you say to him/her?

(See below)

b. If you want to get a Klingon to do whatever you want what do you say?

a. It's only logical.

b. It is the honorable thing.

I thought year 7 was pretty miserable, as were the movies.

I think Insurrection is actually my favorite Trek movie (of them all). But yeah, I could mostly do without the others with the TNG crew.

As for episodes, I have four favorites. "Yesterday's Enterprise," where the Enterprise C enters a time-rift and comes into the present, which alters the last 20+ years. "Parallels," where Worf bounces around a bunch of parellel universes. (The final universe, where they send him back, has their Riker speaking to "our" Picard on the big screen, where he had been killed by the Borg [not Marcus] in their universe. Surprisingly, a really touching moment.) "Frames of Mind," where Riker is kidnapped and undergoes some brain-altering experiments, into which he weaves a play he's been working on with the crew. And #1 pick, far out ahead of the rest, is "Inner Light," where Picard is knocked unconscious by a probe, and experiences an entire lifetime in 30 minutes as a member of a dying civilization, so that he can tell their story. I think that was the best episode of any Trek series, or any sci-fi series for that matter, that I've ever seen.

"Inner Light,"

"Inner Light" is hands down my favorite TNG ever! I just watched it the other day.

My other favorites are:

"The Best of Both Worlds" parts 1 & 2

"Family"

"Chain of Command" parts 1 & 2

"Frames of Mind"

And of course "All Good Things"

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Favorite episodes (not so sure the order):

Inner Light (i'm trying to play that darned "Ressikan flute thing" on my recorder- all I can pick out is one line!!)

THe one with the aliens who speak in metaphor!!

Yesterday's Enterprise

The one I mentioned-- first episode with Traveler

Family

Parellels

Might be a couple others...

--des

I was disapointed with the first episodes of TNG, then I realised that the original captivated me because it was the first of its kind (with the possible exception of Twilight Zone), I started appreaciating it for what it is. The best of the series was, Deep Space Nine, it was amusing to watch the races try to understand each other, especially Quark's confusion about others who didn't think profit wasn't important, and the Cadassians who thought they were preforming "White Man's Burden" [The excuse the British used to conquer, the belief that they were 'ciivilizing' the savages].

I like the Orginal ST and Next Generation, although you are all right when you said it was not good till the third season....Voyager was ok and Enterpraise...I don't remember too well..and in my opinion DS9 was THEE WORST ST ever! It was SO terrible! i was SO glad when it was kicked off :lol:

Favorite episodes (not so sure the order):

Wow, des, how do we like exactly the same episodes?! Or maybe my bringing them up caused you to remember them. :)

Inner Light  (i'm trying to play that darned "Ressikan flute thing" on my recorder- all I can pick out is one line!!)

That was such a great melody. Damn, I need to see that episode again!

THe one with the aliens who speak in metaphor!!

Oh yeah, I love that one! "Darmok." (Don't worry October, I looked that one up.)

Anybody remember "Cause and Effect" -- the one where the Enterprise is caught in the "temporal causality loop" and the crew keep experiencing the same sequence of events over and over again, with the ship being destroyed at the end of each loop?

Are we officially off-topic now? :lol:

Anybody remember "Cause and Effect" -- the one where the Enterprise is caught in the "temporal causality loop" and the crew keep experiencing the same sequence of events over and over again, with the ship being destroyed at the end of each loop?

Are we officially off-topic now? :lol:

Kind of like Groundhog Day in a wormhole, EH ?

flow.... :P

Cause and Effect was an awesome episode. I almost listed it in my favorites list, but then decided my list was too long as it was. :rolleyes:

I'm partial to episodes where Patrick Stewart was the main actor, which explains why I included the Locutus of Borg episodes, as well as the follow up episode "Family" where Jean Luc stays with his brother. The Chain of Command episodes are the ones where JL is taken hostage by the Cardassians and tortured. His last words to his jailer as he leaves "There are four lights!" was heartwrenching, as well as his admission to Troi later, that he was just about to give in and say "five" to make the torture stop, if he hadn't been released. :(

Another favorite was Rascals, when Picard, Guinan and Ro are turned into children (with no loss of memory) via the transporter. The boy they got to play Picard was perfect (as were the other two). Listening to him call Riker "number 1" and to "make it so" was hillarious. :D

We seem to have a collective identification with STngen. Does anyone wonder why this is so ? Was it just good writing? Was it part of the "collective" dream of our generation ? Or was it just that the characters and depictions were so well done after the third year ?

I am old enough to remember the original running of ST episodes, but I'm kind of like all of you. When Stngen got into gear I readily identified with the episodes, while I never did seem to enjoy many of the ST original episodes as much.

Another series that I really loved was Quantum Leap. I really seemed to identify with that show, and went into mourning when it disappeared. It was really fascinating, and I am seriously contemplating buying the entire DVD series. Scott Bakula never did another thing to measure up to it, and I thought that the guy that played Al was superb.

If I could only think of his name. He's gone now I think. I know that he had been acting in film since he was a child and his first role was a fascinating film made in 1947, I believe, called, The Boy With Green Hair. It was an excellent piece on what it means to be young and different from your peer group. Anyone know ?

flow.... :blink:

Well, with me...I have loved both Star Wars and Star Trek ever since I was in Jr.High...It's just I was always in the closet about it because of the negative stero-typing of "sci-Fi nerds"..that they were all physically replusive-looking people as dipicted in that famous SNL sketch with William Shatner. So I hide all my StarLog magazines from public viewing, like a person would do with PentHouse mags or something. infact I still have those mags stored away.

I am not sure why the popularity of STNG. From what i can gather...after the orginal ST was cancled in 69...It was AFTER this cencelation that the orginal ST began to become known and gain in popularity and these baby boomers made the orginal ST become popular in the 70's, and infact, THEY cause the whole Trekker thing and the conventions and all...These Trekker baby boomer fans then had kids...like me, born in 69..and they all passed on their love on Trek to the next generation. Then came Star Trek I and then II and the popularity grow all the more...so much so..that this idea of STTNG came about...It was a risk...and everyone said it was a gamble..but the timing was right..because you had this HUGE fan base of boomers..AND now their children..and it just so happened the the combination of casting of actors AND two great writters in the 3rd season..worked. There was good chemistry with actors who played Picard, Data and Troy...that was much like the onscreen chemistry of the orginal Star Wars cast of Luke, Leia and Han.

Another series that I really loved was Quantum Leap. I really seemed to identify with that show, and went into mourning when it disappeared. It was really fascinating, and I am seriously contemplating buying the entire DVD series. Scott Bakula never did another thing to measure up to it, and I thought that the guy that played Al was superb.

If I could only think of his name.

Dean Stockwell.

Another great series. While we're on favorites, how about the two parter where he first enters himself as a high school student, and then a comrade of his brother's in Vietnam?

There was good chemistry with actors who played Picard, Data and Troy...that was much like the onscreen chemistry of the orginal Star Wars cast of Luke, Leia and Han.

It doesn't hurt that half of them are trained theater actors. Who would have believed a Shakespearean actor as a starship captain! And yet, he was Da Man, as they say.

That was a pretty good analysis of the Trek phenomenon too, Beach. :)

I, alas, know far more about TNG "history" than any normal person should. Like what year Picard, Riker, and Geordi graduated from Starfleet Academy. I also have the Enterprise D technical specs. I remember at one time actually having a pretty good grasp of warp field geometry. You don't think I'm serious. Sadly, or maybe not, I've forgotten most of what I knew.