Front Porch Faith

jerryb

Boy, you like to ask the hard questions don't you? ;)

I've been thinking about it, and I don't honestly know if I coud explain what an authentic Christian spirituality would look like. It's difficult, because I find I don't want to judge anybody's relationship with God. That comes out a bit relativistic, which I don't intend it to be.

I guess I'd say that authentic Christian faith is a faith (love for God) that changes the inner person and prompts them (from that love) to do things "greater than Christ."

I'm sure that could be re-worded a bit better, but after thinking for the past half hour, it's what I decided to finally write. :P

Boy, you like to ask the hard questions don't you?  ;)

I've been thinking about it, and I don't honestly know if I coud explain what an authentic Christian spirituality would look like. It's difficult, because I find I don't want to judge anybody's relationship with God. That comes out a bit relativistic, which I don't intend it to be.

I guess I'd say that authentic Christian faith is a faith (love for God) that changes the inner person and prompts them (from that love) to do things "greater than Christ."

I'm sure that could be re-worded a bit better, but after thinking for the past half hour, it's what I decided to finally write. :P

AR:

You sure did some worthwhile thinking in just a half hour !!

I agree with your take on authentic Christian spirituality, with some small changes. I believe that the idea of collective action was the whole reason for Jesus' coming to earth to teach us important lessons for existing in a spiritually driven and loving manner. The whole point , though, gets tangled up on the collectivity part.

That's what churches really are, collective formations that may, through their concerted actions,"do things greater than Christ".

That's what all the confilct is about between and among Christian domains is these days. Each grouping believes that it has the " correct " way, but of course that is not the case and groups stray from the path He pointed out to us because of, misinterpretations of the Word, human frailties, and political and social pressures.

And besides, most of them are perpetually looking back at the past for clues from His teachings

which may indicate actions to be chosen, when in my opinion He was really talking to the ages about the future and what we must collectively do to get there.

So I would word your key sentence as follows; " ...Authentic Christian spirituality is a faith ( love for God ) that changes the inner person and prompts them to join with like minded people ( from that love ) to do things together 'greater than Christ'. "

Now, this is based on a viewpoint that "faith based upon love of God and each other" is sufficient to define the term "spirituality". My inclination is to believe that spirituality is a larger and more diverse category than the faith statement alone. But in a progressive and collective context, the statement adequately reflects what I believe we're all after here.

flow.... :)

So I would word your key sentence as follows; " ...Authentic Christian spirituality is a faith ( love for God ) that changes the inner person and prompts them to join with like minded people ( from that love ) to do things together 'greater than Christ'. "

Oh I totally agree.

Actually, in my first dozen drafts :P of the post, I included statements like "social" and "missional" and "praxis" and "not personal only." Unfortunately, I felt like I was on my way to writing a thesis, so I trimmed it down to inward relationship and change, which if authentic, would be followed by outward action.

Doing "things greater than Christ," in my mind, necessarily included joining others, otherwise we wouldn't be doing things, um, greater. :blink:

I like your statement much better. It includes what I had in my mind, but that didn't come out so well in my statement.

Boy, you like to ask the hard questions don't you?  ;)

Aletheia....I love the two 'key words' in your statement...CHANGES and PROMPTS.

I really believe that you have captured the 'minimum essence' of the christian life.

Change MUST happen...and when it does truly happen..the prompt becomes natural.

Thanks for your excellant post.

Blessings

Jerry

The Bible says "By their fruits ye shall know them." For me authentic faith is faith that leads you to act compassionately for social justice I view people like Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Jean Vanier and Ghandi as having an authentic faith. It is their faith, whether Christian our otherwise, that gves them the strength to lead exemplary lives. This is not to say that others, who are not so well known don't have authentic faith, but those who do know them can see the the fruits of their faith

The Bible says "By their fruits ye shall know them."  For me authentic faith is faith that leads you to act compassionately for social justice  I view people like Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Jean Vanier and Ghandi as having an authentic faith.  It is their faith, whether Christian our otherwise, that gves them the strength to lead exemplary lives.  This is not to say that others, who are not so well known don't have authentic faith, but those who do know them can see the the fruits of their faith

And, I would say that all this gives us the courage to follow their lead and demonstrate to others just what is possible through belief in the principles that they demonstrated. This leads to positive and progressive action that will carry faith into the future.

flow....

:)

The Bible says "By their fruits ye shall know them."  For me authentic faith is faith that leads you to act compassionately for social justice  I view people like Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Jean Vanier and Ghandi as having an authentic faith.  It is their faith, whether Christian our otherwise, that gves them the strength to lead exemplary lives.  This is not to say that others, who are not so well known don't have authentic faith, but those who do know them can see the the fruits of their faith

And, I would say that all this gives us the courage to follow their lead and demonstrate to others just what is possible through belief in the principles that they demonstrated. This leads to positive and progressive action that will carry faith into the future.

flow....

:)

Flow...I was struck by your statement about 'carrying faith into the future'. I wonder what might be possible with FUTURE FAITH? Could we finally take Jesus

words" The things that I do,you will do...and GREATER things you will do".

John 14:12

If we believe anything Jesus said...then we have to believe that statement. I know it's a bit hard to get our minds around, but I truly believe this is what FUTURE FAITH will look like. Boy...have we got a way to go!

Blessings to you Flow'

Jerry