The Gospel Of Arnie

Lee Tasey

Hey everyone. I'm Lee, a graduate of Boston University School of Theology. I was pursuing a Ph.D. in philosophy from U. of Nebraska when I dropped out to write fiction. I've been living in Nebraska for four years now learning to write.

I have written a novel and it's called "The Gospel of Arnie." It's a religious comedy; it's also a citique of the Catholic Church. I have been heavily influenced by Borg and Spong, as well as the process theologians. This was a fun book to write, and I'm trying to get the word out. I thought this would be a good place.

I look forward to being a part of this community.

Sincerely,

Lee

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum.

I loved "Lamb - The Gospel of Biff"

Christopher Moore. I love him. He's a trip. Have you read "Skinny Legs and All" by Tom Robbins? I think you might like it. "Jitterbug Perfume" and "Fierce Invalids" are pretty good too, although "Skinny Legs" is my favorite.

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone. I'm Lee, a graduate of Boston University School of Theology. I was pursuing a Ph.D. in philosophy from U. of Nebraska when I dropped out to write fiction. I've been living in Nebraska for four years now learning to write.

I have written a novel and it's called "The Gospel of Arnie." It's a religious comedy; it's also a citique of the Catholic Church. I have been heavily influenced by Borg and Spong, as well as the process theologians. This was a fun book to write, and I'm trying to get the word out. I thought this would be a good place.

Sincerely,

Lee

Thanks Lee-I think I'll order it tonight. :)

Sincerely,

Lee

Hi Lee. I'm a 1973 graduate of Boston University School of Theology. Harrell Beck was my mentor.

Why are you picking on the Catholics? It seems like a lot of Protestants are behaving pretty badly these days.

I'll look for it!  I loved "Lamb - The Gospel of Biff" (a childhood friend of Jesus - his name derives from the sound made by stiking someone backhanded on the head.  It's hilarious!!!

Dear Cynthia,

Sorry about the long absence. I've been in other chat rooms. Anyway, it's good to be back. And no, I haven't read "The Gospel of Biff," although I did read an article about the author in "The Door," a cool religions satire magazine.

I'll try to drop by the CPC more often.

cheers,

lee B)

Sincerely,

Lee

Thanks Lee-I think I'll order it tonight. :)

Dear Bobv2,

I hope you like the book. It's a YA book, but I think it has range--a lot of people can relate to it, not just teens.

Anyway, I'm hoping those teens who can't go for a fundamentalist/conservative evangelical theology, but who are attracted to the more liberal/progressive theologies, will like Arnie. It's pretty wild, but there's redemption at the end.

best,

lee

Hi Lee. I'm a 1973 graduate of Boston University School of Theology. Harrell Beck was my mentor.

Dear Mystictrek

Good to hear you went to bu! I was there from 1998-2004. Lots of fun. Boston is my favorite city. I had Wesley Wildman as a mentor. He was cool. Robert Neville had good ideas, too.

Why are you picking on the Catholics? It seems like a lot of Protestants are behaving pretty badly these days.

Ah, why am I picking on the Catholics? This is tricky. I like to pick on both camps, protestant and catholic, but of all the christian traditions out there, I've found the catholic one to be the least passionate about god and its parishoners the least knowledgable about the bible and christian doctrine. I don't mean to judge them, but after my experience on both coasts, as well as the Mid-west--and after what my catholic minister friends have said--I'd have to say the RCC needs some education, the Spirit, whatever. Mass seems like empty ritual every time I go. Yes, there are real, believing catholics out there; I know many of them. But many, as the former chaplian at BU's Newman Center once said, "Most don't have a clue."

I'm now Catholic. Technically, at least. I finally made it through. Since that time I've run into problems with G-d. I'm having to do a re-evaluating of sorts; I even struggle to go to church now. I hope that will change.

Until then, I find my faith journey is nourished by writing fiction. Reading a lot also helps. Somebody mentioned Christopher Moore. He doesn't go to church much either, yet he would probably stand somewhere within the christian tradition.

Anyway, this gets very complex. I'm still trying to work it out. At times I'm an atheist obsessed with G-d. That's the only honest thing I can honestly about myself. But I have a lot to learn, and perhaps things will come together someday. I hope they do.

best,

lee