Progressive Christian Services In Manchester Uk?

sgb

Hello. I am very sorry if this is not the correct forum to ask this, but I have recently begun my journey to rediscover my relationship with God and strengthen my faith after almost 20 years of absence. This summer I attended a service in Vermont at a UCC Church which awoke my spirituality in new ways. Following a meeting with the Pastor, I explained the desire I had to renew my faith, yet the challenges I had in aligning myself with Christianity as I had come to know it in the current political climate and the conservative doctrine coming over the airwaves. He suggested I familiarise myself with this website and movement, and it has indeed felt like a coming home to what I feel in my heart. So... the reason that I am writing is that I live in Manchester UK (I'm an American, over here for work), and am unable to find any services locally that I would consider Progressive or in the UCC model. Does anyone know of any in the Manchester area? (Ideally in the city centre, but I won't be picky.) Thank you very much in advance for any help or references people on this board might be able to offer.

I think UCC is strictly a US thing, but I understand there is sort of a British version of this.

However, I can't recall what they call it. Can anybody help here. I found the united-church ca, but when I tried googling United Church Britain, I got Church of England.

--des

Hello. I am very sorry if this is not the correct forum to ask this, but I have recently begun my journey to rediscover my relationship with God and strengthen my faith after almost 20 years of absence. This summer I attended a service in Vermont at a UCC Church which awoke my spirituality in new ways. Following a meeting with the Pastor, I explained the desire I had to renew my faith, yet the challenges I had in aligning myself with Christianity as I had come to know it in the current political climate and the conservative doctrine coming over the airwaves. He suggested I familiarise myself with this website and movement, and it has indeed felt like a coming home to what I feel in my heart. So... the reason that I am writing is that I live in Manchester UK (I'm an American, over here for work), and am unable to find any services locally that I would consider Progressive or in the UCC model. Does anyone know of any in the Manchester area? (Ideally in the city centre, but I won't be picky.) Thank you very much in advance for any help or references people on this board might be able to offer.

Hi sgb,

Welcome and greetings,

I too began my spiritual journey again about 5 years ago, after a 10 year absence. I can relate to the challenges you are facing regarding the conservative bent of most broadcasting.

That's why I'm enjoying this board so much...it gives me a chance to re-connect

in a non-threatening atomosphere.

I find myself reading everything I can get my hands on about progressive religion.

On this board...I am able to ask some of the hard questions without fear of being ridiculed by others.

So again...welcome,and enjoy the ride!

Blessings

Jerryb

sgb

Welcome to our little slice of sanity. Just sit back, look and listen, and jump in from time to time when the spirit moves you. It's almost a daily worship service of sorts if you enjoy novel thinking and well-crafted concepts, and best of all, where or when you are is of little importance in the greater scheme of things

flow.... :)

I checked the home page on this site and found a search engine for affiliates - churches or organizations that subscribe to the 8 Points. Here's the list for the UK:

City Organization

Cambridge Parish of St. James

Leeds, West Yorkshire All Hallows Church

London Charterhouse, St. Hugh's

London St. Faith's Church, North Dulwich

London St. James's Church, Piccadilly

North Dulwich, London Progressive Christianity Network, Britain

Sheffield St. Mark's Church

Perhaps the Progressive Christianity Network can be of help.

Meanwhile, join us! Read, Marcus Borg - The Heart of Christianity; Brian McLaren - A Generous Orthodoxy; Jim Wallis - God's Politics and on and on and on!!!

Welcome!

(First - I had previously posted under the name "sgb" - I created a new account to use my first name, scott, as everyone was so warm in response to such a general post that I felt the need to be more personal than going by my initials.)

Thank you for your words and advice. I do plan on visiting and using this board and the TCPC website often as a resource, sounding board and general meeting area. And thank you Cynthia for researching services in the UK. Leeds is about an hour away, but I think I'll venture over one Sunday.

I am currently reading Marcus Borg's The Heart of Christianity. It is inspiring. This journey I am on to re-engage myself with my faith is changing my life. I followed what the Pastor in Vermont told me is a "not uncommon" spiritual journey. I was raised Christian, attending church regularly until I was 16, then went to college and questioned EVERYTHING about what I knew thus far - declared myself an athiest, a buddhist, animist, whatever I had intellectually settled on at that moment. I kept wandering after college, and over the past decade, just entirely lost touch with any notion of faith. Being a very political and liberal person, each time the religious right would rear its head in media or politics, I would push my faith further to the back of my mind, too easily allowing their use of the word "Christian" to influence my own understanding of the word.

I rather unconciously settled into an unhappy frame of mind for the past couple years. Months ago a member of my family fell very ill, and soon after, due to my unconcious almost addiction to being unhappy and not embracing or enjoying any element of life outside of work (I am... was?... a severe workaholic)... my partner left me. Being a relatively new commer to this city, I had no social network locally to turn to, a family that had no emotional reserves to help with anyone else's problems, and was suddenly alone. Then one night I woke up at 2am and lied in my bed and felt, I can't describe it other than a thought wrapping itself around my entire being, telling me "you are not alone". At that moment I felt my faith begin to warm within me for the first time in 20 years, like a breath blowing on an ember.

In the future, I think I would like to share more of my journey (I don't have anyone here to really talk about it with), but don't want to do so here if this isn't the forum (or the right 'room' within the forum?)

Finding this forum means a lot to me. Thank you all for welcoming me so quickly and warmly, and I look forward to any websites, podcasts, or any references or words any of you care to share in the future. I'll be here...

Thank you,

scott

(formerly posting as sgb)

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum!

I would love to hear your journey. I think this area of the forum is as good as any to tell it. The cafe may be another area that would be appropriate. I'd say if your journey includes any spiritual, religious or theological insights, then I'd put i here.

(I do wish we would get a "sticky" forum for introductions. HINT HINT Lib!) :D

(First - I had previously posted under the name "sgb" - I created a new account to use my first name, scott, as everyone was so warm in response to such a general post that I felt the need to be more personal than going by my initials.)

Thank you for your words and advice. I do plan on visiting and using this board and the TCPC website often as a resource, sounding board and general meeting area. And thank you Cynthia for researching services in the UK. Leeds is about an hour away, but I think I'll venture over one Sunday.

I am currently reading Marcus Borg's The Heart of Christianity. It is inspiring. This journey I am on to re-engage myself with my faith is changing my life. I followed what the Pastor in Vermont told me is a "not uncommon" spiritual journey. I was raised Christian, attending church regularly until I was 16, then went to college and questioned EVERYTHING about what I knew thus far - declared myself an athiest, a buddhist, animist, whatever I had intellectually settled on at that moment. I kept wandering after college, and over the past decade, just entirely lost touch with any notion of faith. Being a very political and liberal person, each time the religious right would rear its head in media or politics, I would push my faith further to the back of my mind, too easily allowing their use of the word "Christian" to influence my own understanding of the word.

I rather unconciously settled into an unhappy frame of mind for the past couple years. Months ago a member of my family fell very ill, and soon after, due to my unconcious almost addiction to being unhappy and not embracing or enjoying any element of life outside of work (I am... was?... a severe workaholic)... my partner left me. Being a relatively new commer to this city, I had no social network locally to turn to, a family that had no emotional reserves to help with anyone else's problems, and was suddenly alone. Then one night I woke up at 2am and lied in my bed and felt, I can't describe it other than a thought wrapping itself around my entire being, telling me "you are not alone". At that moment I felt my faith begin to warm within me for the first time in 20 years, like a breath blowing on an ember.

In the future, I think I would like to share more of my journey (I don't have anyone here to really talk about it with), but don't want to do so here if this isn't the forum (or the right 'room' within the forum?)

Finding this forum means a lot to me. Thank you all for welcoming me so quickly and warmly, and I look forward to any websites, podcasts, or any references or words any of you care to share in the future. I'll be here...

Thank you,

Hi Scott....welcome to this "oasis" in the spiritual desert.

I know what you mean when you said" EACH TIME THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT WOULD REAR IT'S HEAD...I WOULD PUSH MY FAITH FURTHER TO THE BACK OF MY MIND".

Boy...been there...done that!

But you know Scott....I,ve decided that I'm not going to let the right spoil that good word "Christian". I won't claim to know all that that words means, but I'm having a great time trying to find out.

Blessings to you my friend

Jerryb

scott

(formerly posting as sgb)