Most Inspiring Books

maitri

"The Soul's Religion" by Thomas Moore

"The Mystic Heart" by William Teasdale

"Reaching for the Invisible God" by Yancey

It's me again Aletheia...

I have two of those three books on the book self behind me...they are great!

I also got to see Thomas Moore in person shortly after he wrote "The soul's religion.". And I have read almost every thing Yancey has written. His book

"Where is God when it hurts?" has helped me through some difficult times. And yet...I am still asking that question.

We seem to have much the same taste in books....tell me more.

Jerryb

Hi you guys -- I'm a fan of Moore and Teasdale also.

I got to see Teasdale at a conference the year before he died. He was wearing his peach-colored sannyasi robes -- and he spoke with a quiet passion about contemplation and action -- what a beautiful presence!!

Another book that has had a big influence on me is Thomas Keating's "Intimacy With God."

Peace --

Mary

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I guess my own, "What the Church Does Not Want you to Know" by Kenneth C. Conrad online or in major book stores by title or authors name.

That reminds me of a book I discovered when I was in Seminary (I also worked in the library). The Dangers of growing up in a Christian home by David Sloat. I don't know how I'd feel about it now but at the time it was very healing.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S...MrD_RLQGSIrpX1w

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend Scott Peck's, "People of the Lie" - very scary and I finally figured out why I see it that way. It reframes what I think of as fairly typical, if disappointing, human behavior such as selfishness and an unwillingness to consider the perspective of others as a form of evil. On a continum, of course. Anyway - great book.

Anybody read anything that really struck them lately????

"God - A Guide for the Perplexed" by Keith Ward

The book is a tour of the development of theistic thought. It would be hard to nutshell it here, but overall, it discusses how ideas of God have morphed throughout the ages, from ancient Roman and Greek polytheism, to Jewish Monotheism, to Christianity. (It doesn't discuss other world religions, but Ward does have a book about that as well. It's called "The Case for Religion." I just started it.)

It pulls in the views of some of the greatest religious and philosophical thinkers over the ages: Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Kant, Descartes, Kierkegaard, James, Spinoza, etc ...

It is more of a philosophy book than a theological book, but if you like philosophy, or want an introduction that is easier to follow than the average religious philosophy book, I highly recommend it.

Edited by AletheiaRivers

• 3 weeks later...

Books I keep coming back to include:

THE BIBLE

THE SAYINGS OF THE DESERT FATHERS

A COURSE IN MIRACLES

THE PERENNIAL PHILOSOPHY by Aldous Huxley

MYTH & RITUAL IN CHRISTIANITY by Alan Watts

THE WAY OF ZEN by Alan Watts

THE HEART OF CHRISTIANITY by Marcus Borg

SPACE FOR GOD by Don Postema

HANDBOOK TO HIGHER CONSCIOUSNESS: THE SCIENCE OF HAPPINESS by Ken Keyes

QUANTUM THEOLOGY by Diarmuid O'Murchu

PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME II by David Keirsey

YOGA: THE SPIRIT AND PRACTICE OF MOVING INTO STILLNESS by Erich Schiffmann

AWAKENING THE BUDDHA WITHIN by Lama Surya Das

THE CELESTINE VISION by James Redfield

ZEN MIND, BEGINNER'S MIND by Shunryu Suzuki

SPIRITUAL GROWTH: BEING YOUR HIGHER SELF by Orin channeled by Sunaya Roman

Enough for now!

I have 2 shelves of favorites: about 50 are Christian or semi-Christian and about 50 are Another Wisdom Tradition & New Spiritual Movements. I have noticed this 50-50 split in my favorites for years now. I guess that's why I have one foot in the church and one foot in the New Age and hope to see The New Church for the New Age emerge more and more.

• 4 weeks later...