I'm New Too

maitri

Hi everyone, my name is Kendra and I am new here. I am definitely a progressive christian and am also interested in Buddhism. Can the two mix well?

I have been without a home church for some time since leaving the local Unitarian Universalist church. I found them to be a little less progressive than I had hoped and found that particular church to have major humanist leanings without being open to Christianity.

I have been attending a Presbyterian church and am really enjoying it. I plan on taking my daughter to start the children's class this sunday. My daughter is 4 and I am married to a humanist/buddhist. He plans on attending with me.

I love reading all kinds of books and am reading "You are Special" by Mr. Rogers. What a great man! I am also reading my other favorite kind of book, a British Mystery, the title escapes me.

Anyways, thats the basics.

Cheers,

Kendra

Welcome Kendra. You have found a great little corner of cyberspace. There is a lot of wisdom and love shared here. We are making progress!! and, as Ronald Reagan said ( for GE), "progress is our most important product. Of course, GE left our part of the world and left a lot of pain and environmental damage in its wake but I still like the slogan! I don't know what got me on that rant! Again, welcome and have fun here and grow with us.

:) Welcome Kendra-If this site does for you what it does for me I think you'll  find it to be a safe place to grow spiritually.  I also like to read and enjoyed "the Simple Faith of Mister Rogers" by Amy Hollingsworth. :)

I really wanted to order that book! I think Mr. Rogers was just so nice and inspiring. He and Mr. Dressup (Canada's Mr. Rogers) led me to work with children. I didn't realized that Mr. Rogers was also a presbyterian minister until I read a little more about him recently. I wonder how he felt about television these days. I really miss having someone like them both on television. I have a four year old and we sit and watch both shows. I wonder if there will be any shows that can match up to what they taught? We need better tv for kids, sigh... I miss The Cosby show and like shows.

Kendra

Kendra, GOLFISH RULE!!

Love your picture, and I am happy to welcome you to our little discussion work in progress.

I just posted an op-ed piece on the power of meditation written by his holiness, the Dalai Lama.

They even tolerate me here, so I'm sure your opinions will be a contributing addition to our collective wisdom and growth. Till next time...

flow.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Kendra

I'm also new. I'm learning to be Christian and came (back) to it through Thich Nhat Hanh, Thomas Merton, CS Lewis so I'm glad to see there's so many here  lean Eastward.

I look forward to getting to know more about Progressiveness, Christianity and all y'all.

Welcome to a great forum.

Hi everyone, my name is Kendra and I am new here. I am definitely a progressive christian and am also interested in Buddhism. Can the two mix well?

I have been without a home church for some time since leaving the local Unitarian Universalist church. I found them to be a little less progressive than I had hoped and found that particular church to have major humanist leanings without being open to Christianity.

I have been attending a Presbyterian church and am really enjoying it. I plan on taking my daughter to start the children's class this sunday. My daughter is 4 and I am married to a humanist/buddhist. He plans on attending with me.

I love reading all kinds of books and am reading "You are Special" by Mr. Rogers. What a great man! I am also reading my other favorite kind of book, a British Mystery, the title escapes me.

Anyways, thats the basics.

Cheers,

Kendra

Welcome Kendra....you're in for quite a ride. I've only been here about three weeks...and already...these great posters have me scratching my head. I love the fact that I feel 'challenged' here.

This is a safe place,where you can ask any spiritual question that comes to mind...no matter how far-out it may seem. Try that in most main-stream churches!

Blessings,

Jerryb

Hey Kendra

I'm also new. I'm learning to be Christian and came (back) to it through Thich Nhat Hanh, Thomas Merton, CS Lewis so I'm glad to see there's so many here  lean Eastward.

I look forward to getting to know more about Progressiveness, Christianity and all y'all.

Wecome Neandergirl....great to have you here.

Look forward to hearing how Thich Nhat Hanh helped bring you back to Christianity. It's amazing how many on this board have similar stoiries about their way back to a personal faith. It reminds me of what Wayne Dyer said in one of his tapes..."When the student is ready...the teacher will appear". I love that quote..it has been true in my own experience.

Blessings to you,

Jerrtb

neandergirl:

Welcome to our verbal playpen! In believe that you'll find that pretty much anything goes here as long as it's in bad taste. :)

But I digress. I believe that I like kim chee better than fruitcake as long as there is a cold El Pacifico available to drink with it between bites.

Have lots of fun here exploring our unknown territories, East and West!

flow.... :D

Edited by flowperson

Hi and welcome y'all. (I can officially say y'all as my family is from the South.)

I don't know too much about Kim Chi except that they show people digging up kim chi pots in MASH on tv. It doesn't sound too appealing.

Gosh, whoever figured out Korea, you guys are SMART!

(or have found a good atlas page).

--des