The Hidden Jesus - By Donald Spoto

North

I am almost finished this book and it is excellent. Spoto has a PhD from Fordham U. He would probably be classified a liberal or progressive scholar. He does not believe in the literal virign birth, that the sermon on the mount happened in one setting as pictured, etc. He seems to be inclusive. He is wonderfully crotchety about what he considers shoddy intellectual workmanship by people like Crossan and the Jesus Seminar. He finds the current fascination with lost gospels to be amusing commericalization that goes against intellectual/factual sense. Rather opinionated. But what comes across clearly in the pages (at least at the time he wrote it) is a very strong & vibrant faith in the God presented by Christ (as opposed to the God of Fundamentalism). He seems to have profound faith. Great book. A conservative or fundamentalist would probably not enjoy it because of some of Spoto's statements that would be considered provocative but it it a spirit lifter.

The book got rave reviews from newspapers, etc. One quote I love from the Portland Oregonian, "Spoto saw clouds gathering over the life of Jesus of Nazareth. He saw debunkers chipping away at the divinity of Jesus while zealots stripped him of his humanity. And finally Spoto had enough."

North

Awesome North, thanks for the review and the recommend.

I just bought Peck's "The Road Less Traveled," so it is next on my reading list, but I think I'll make The Hidden Jesus next in line after that. Spoto sounds like someone I would really like.

I'm in the process of finishing "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Phil Yancey. I'd highly recommend it as well. He believes literally in some biblical concepts that I still have a hard time with (which he is criticized for on Amazon), but he also doesn't push them down your throat. Although, Amazon reviews say that he slips into evangelical fundamentalist mode towards the end of the book (which I haven't experienced yet).

The Hidden Jesus - Link to Amazon reviews

The Jesus I Never Knew - Link to Amazon reviews

Edited by AletheiaRivers

I started it on the train last year, and never got past the first few chapters. I recall it being really good, but just not what I was feeling like at the time. :) I think I had just finished Crossan's Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography, and the subject matter was too similar.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome North, thanks for the review and the recommend.

I just bought Peck's "The Road Less Traveled," so it is next on my reading list, but I think I'll make The Hidden Jesus next in line after that. Spoto sounds like someone I would really like.

I'm in the process of finishing "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Phil Yancey. I'd highly recommend it as well. He believes literally in some biblical concepts that I still have a hard time with (which he is criticized for on Amazon), but he also doesn't push them down your throat. Although, Amazon reviews say that he slips into evangelical fundamentalist mode towards the end of the book (which I haven't experienced yet).

The Hidden Jesus - Link to Amazon reviews

The Jesus I Never Knew - Link to Amazon reviews

Aletheia

You will LOVE The Road Less Traveled. I read it during the "first faltering steps"

of my walk back to Christianity,and it truly helped me chart a course for the uncertain path I was soon to walk. ENJOY

Jerryb

I'm about 1/4 of the way in and I'm really appreciating it so far. His psychological insight is amazing.

The Road Less Traveled is one of my all-time favorite books. Peck was an awesome author. I was so sad to hear recently that he had died. :(

Hi Maggie...and welcome.

I think I have all of Peck,s books, and it's hard to say which is my favorite,but I really enjoyed his book" Further along the road less traveled". It seemed to give more of his own experience along the Road.

Blessings,

jerryb