Books On Prayer?

bobve2

I like "Open Mind, Open Heart" by Thomas Keating - it is about contemplative prayer. Phillip Yancey and Max Lucado have a lot of helpful things to say about it also IMO... interspersed in their books. I'd look at "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey and "A Love Worth Giving" by Lucado. :) CS Lewis also talks about prayer... I think "Mere Christianity" has his thoughts. Of course, Jesus in Matthew 6 :D - Emmet Fox wrote a great book on "The Lord's Prayer"

Edited by Cynthia

I like "Open Mind, Open Heart" by Thomas Keating - it is about contemplative prayer.  Phillip Yancey and Max Lucado have a lot of helpful things to say about it also IMO... interspersed in their books.  I'd look at "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey and "A Love Worth Giving" by Lucado.   :)   CS Lewis also talks about prayer... I think "Mere Christianity" has his thoughts.  Of course, Jesus in Matthew 6  :D  - Emmet Fox wrote a great book on "The Lord's Prayer"

I have gotten a lot out of the following books on prayer and meditation:

Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home, by Richard J. Foster

A Testament of Devotion, by Thomas Kelly

Conversations with God: Two Centuries of Prayers by African Americans, edited by James Melvin Washington, Ph.D.

The Shape of Living: Spiritual Directions for Everyday Life, by David F. Ford

The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction, by Eugene Peterson

just about any book by Henri J.M. Nouwen

Prayers Plainly Spoken, by Stanley Hauerwas

Here is My Hope: A Book of Healing and Prayer- Inspirational Stories from The Johns Hopkins Hospital, by Randi Henderson and Richard Marek

I also have greatly enjoyed the prayers and poems of Wendell Berry...

the Journal of John Woolman is another great prayer & devotional book...

These are just a few of my personal favorites- there are many great books on prayer, as well as great collections of prayers on various themes and topics.

Peace on the journey,

John

Philadelphia, PA

Edited by peacemover

In God's Presence: Theological Reflections on Prayer ...Majorie Suchocki shares with us her reflections about prayer from both a ... Prayer is more than simply conversing with God, according to Suchocki. ...

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ tg/detail/-/0827216157?v=glance

And, anything by Jane Vennard