Hey I Got A Job!

des

Right before I went to St. Louis I got a job. I will be teaching at a high school teaching reading to kids who don't read very well. I have special training in that that no one seemed to pay any attention to at the grade school level, but when I applied to high school they were very excited. I think the school year starts Aug. 9. (I haven't heard "officially", long story.)

--des

Right before I went to St. Louis I got a job. I will be teaching at a high school teaching reading to kids who don't read very well. I have special training in that that no one seemed to pay any attention to at the grade school level, but when I applied to high school they were very excited. I think the school year starts Aug. 9. (I haven't heard "officially", long story.)

--des

That is great Des!

Remedial reading is a tremendous area of need in our schools. You can also be a great encourager to a population of students that has undoubtedly faced many disappointments and setbacks. in their lives.

All the best to you!

Just try not to indoctrinate them with too many progressive ideals all at once- ;)

Let us all know how it goes...

Peace,

John

Hah John, I think I will inculcate them (or try) with the radical idea that they *can* learn. At least I hope I can do that. I worked with teens in a sweet little charter school (not) who were mostly druggies, inmates (or ex-inmates), and pregnant moms. It was interesting that I could reach some of these kids, and actually enjoyed them. Though the area was tough enough to go into wearing a flak jacket. (Yes even in NM).

I love teaching reading though. Hope I will still love it 9 months from now.

--des

I love teaching reading though. Hope I will still love it 9 months from now.

I'm so looking forward to teaching my son to read! I think I'll wait a few years to introduce him to theology though. ;):lol:

That's really good news des, I hope you will have all the grace you need.

Wasn't it Borg in The Heart of Christianity, that told the story of the young girl who demanded a short audience with her newborn baby brother, so she could ask, "Remind me about God, because I've almost forgot"? That nearly choked me up!

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much. I am now "official" except for no teacher id no. (therefore no xeroxes, no email, etc.). School officially started today with kids. Gosh it is getting earlier and earlier. Humidity is very high for here (60%- lots of swamp coolers here, so pretty ineffective). So it's been beastly. I met the kids today, and have had a chance to work with the team a bit (I work with 2 other teachers in the same room.) We are going to be doing an Orton Gillingham based program together which I am pretty happy about (as this is very effective with poor readers). High school students are huge. One thing really neat, I have a friend (amazing for me in this amt. of time :-)) who is teaching culinary arts. They have a real culinary arts vocational program-- not home ec.

Fer giggles, this is the hs website: www.westmesamustangs.com

So I'm a Mustang whisperer. :-)

--des

Soma, I'm not sure he was talking about HIGH school "children". In fact, I have trouble with the word children (or adult) applied to hs kids (about the only term I can use aside from teens). It's such an awkward time of life.

Funny thing happened the other day. I was walking to my car and two guys approached me. One says "hi" in a friendly manner so I return the "hi". Then he says "I love you". And I thought "welcome to high school"! :-)

Still I am up on all this. (Except for "getting up" at 6 Am).

Today we started testing them. It is pretty sad how many had trouble putting the words "inside", "grey" and "kitten" into a sentence. Of course, that's why we have them.

--des

I teach ESL and at risk students in 7th and 8th. I love it if I get a good nights sleep because I can be tested and have fun without sleep. I see the dance and the humor without sleep and meditation, it is a different story. They have taught me many of my weakness so for that I am gratefull. The funny thing is I know where they are coming from because I was kicked out of a Catholic High School.

First week with the kids is over, and I got a paycheck today! :-)

I work with two other people in the room and we have been testing kids all week which has been pretty boring. The kids are interesting. We have one really awful class (acting out, disrespectful, etc.) but the other classes are pretty nice. I'm going to be workign with the lowest level kids, which should be, uh, challenging. Some of them are reading on an early primer level ("see Dick run").

Still finding the hour difficult. I am waking up at 1:30, 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30-- though I just stopped waking up at 1:30. I am really not used to goign to bed at 10- 10:30. Yikes!

Every time I wake up, Padfoot, the cat, insists on sitting on my head and kneading me. You would not want Padfoot sitting on you, as he weighs 20 lbs!!

--des

Padfoot the cat - gotta love it!!! Paychecks are always nice---

This getting up at the crack of dawn is for the birds. I usually get up around 6... 5:30 is just too early. Good to get used to it while the sun still appears... in winter sometimes we go out and see stars and moon and darkness.... not even close to sunrise. You can feel true awe or truely pitiful! LOL

It's an HP name (in case you don't know). I think sometimes he should be Lord Voldemort. :-) He also has these very bright evil blue eyes. (Some Siamese in there for sure.)

Yes the hour. In fact, I have to go to bed in a bit. The only good thing to all this early hour is that as I go west, there are often several hot air balloons up. I love them. Of course, during Balloon Fiesta there are thousands.

Gotta go do everything I need to do for tomorrow (make lunch, measure the coffee, fill the dog's Kongs, lay out clothes, etc. etc.)

Actually *taught* today for the first time (we have been doing testing). That was fun, except for 4th period which is a handful. (conversation today: me: "you have to read all your life whether you are in school or not". one kid: "I'm dying tomorrow." Fun huh?)

--des