Pyramid Type Structure For Social Justice Org

des

The city's interfaith org has arranged an interesting structure which, well I don't think it is bad or good, just interesting. I have heard it has been very commonly used by conservative religious groups for years.

How it works is this: the organization asks all its members to hold a meeting and invite x no. of people. So I got invited to one fo them, and there were something like 12 people there (I think the goal was 10). The meeting was short and informative and not very action oriented. Just these are the issues, and how various people on the council voted and that type of thing. In fact, we were told that we could not endorse candidates or do any sort of campaigning as an org. We did discuss how our faith plays into these various issues. And all over the city there are other groups.

At the end, we were asked to invite 1 more person to the group next time. If everyone does that it will double the size of the meeting. Some people will no doubt invite more. I guess it goes from there.

I could only think "pyramid". It has such a bad connotation, but I see nothing intrinsically wrong about any of it. But I thought it interesting that I had this immediate reaction.

Anybody involved in such a thing, and your reactions?

--des

1. Amway for Jesus!

2. I think it was the old Breck shampoo commercials in the 1970s that had the repeated phrase: "And she told two friends, and she told two friends...." : )

1. Amway for Jesus!

2. I think it was the old Breck shampoo commercials in the 1970s that had the repeated phrase: "And she told two friends, and she told two friends...."  :  )

Amway for Jesus! :-)

BTW, with regard to two people tellign two people who eventually tell two more people, it would eventually be a pretty strong social change type of development, but it does have flaws. I see the biggest flaw that it assumes that everyone can and will tell two people.

Remember the movie "Pay it Forward"?

--des

Edited by des