In The Wake Of The Goddesses

des

I'm putting this in this section as it has the word Pagan in the title. Just curious if anybody has read this. This is next on the Sarah's circle reading list. Not sure if we will actually end up talking about the book. (We ended up NOT talking about the book in question last time.

:-))

--des

I haven't read it Des, but will be looking into it. I'm always up for an INTELLIGENT book on Goddess theology. So much out there is "fluff". It's frustrating.

hi des and aletheia...I took a peek inside this book at Amazon...looks like a worthwhile read. so many books; so little time. let us know how you like it des.

lily

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm on my way to Boston....shalll I stop off in Salem?  :huh:  ;)

Interesting to hear their perspective........

I have studied this issue at some length and was fascinated as to why women, ie. goddesses, have been treated on such an exclusionary basis by so many cultures and belief systems for so long, including major branches of Christianity. Maybe it's because of a fundamental jealousy within our species since, in my opinion, women are carriers of life and men are carriers of death. The demonizations at Salem might be but one historical episode in this ritualized scapegoating process throughout history.

On this journey I have been drawn time and again to the varied writings of Elaine Pagels, and to a 1989 book by the late anthropologist Marija Gimbutas , The Languase of the Goddess. At first glance this might impress one as just another coffee table book. It does have a lot of pictures and illustrations. But it also has a forward by one of my heros, Joseph Campbell ( he knew a little about anthropology) and endless trails of maps and other reference points to lead you wherever you might wish to go. I highly recommend it as a primary source in studying the subject.

Remember that research has shown that for about 94% of the time that there have been modern human beings, matriarchy has prevalied over patriarchy in many societies. Then about 6000 years ago that all seemed to change with the rise of the early city state cultures... WHY?????????

Flowperson.....

This is very OT but...

BTW, speaking of Salem... I understand it is a very hot tourist location.

AND I saw a very interesting documentary re: witch burnings and ergot poisoning. No doubt, many of the victims were not followers of any pagan belief but perhaps loners, eccentrics,etc. who were targeted as the cause of the symptoms (hallucinations, tics, etc.)

--des