The Tanakh

Theo-Maniac

Does anybody else here read a copy of the Tanakh beside the Old Testament? I just bought a copy of the Jewish Publication Society's translation today and plan on doing just that. I have a couple freinds who are Jewish that recommended I do this, as there are apparently some pretty major translation issues in the Christian version of the Tanakh, aka the Old Testament, that influence some pretty major Christian teachings.

Does anybody else here read a copy of the Tanakh beside the Old Testament? I just bought a copy of the Jewish Publication Society's translation today and plan on doing just that. I have a couple freinds who are Jewish that recommended I do this, as there are apparently some pretty major translation issues in the Christian version of the Tanakh, aka the Old Testament, that influence some pretty major Christian teachings.

I haven't done so, but would be interested .. where can one find a copy?

Barnes and Noble normally sells the JPS translation, which is the one I'm reading and would recommend, but you should be able to order a copy from most any bookstore. Unless you want to pay almost forty dollars I'd recommend getting the pocket addition, although the JPS does sell a pretty nice looking, inexpensive, study version.

I have both the 1991 "Tanakh" and the 1927 "The Holy Scriptures," both of which are tranlsations published by the Jewish Publication Society. The 1927 is thought to be a more literal translation. My copy of the 1927 is also two volumes, with English and Hebrew columns on each page.

I would also recommend the software called Bibleworks. One of the things you can do with it is look at multiple translations at the same time, stepping through them verse by verse. It has both the 1927 and 1991 JPS translations as well as the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NIV, NAB, etc., and the Lenningrad Codex of the Greek New Testament, the Masoretic Text of the Hebrew Scriptures, the Septuagint, and the Vulgate.

I have both the 1991 "Tanakh" and the 1927 "The Holy Scriptures," both of which are tranlsations published by the Jewish Publication Society.  The 1927 is thought to be a more literal translation.  My copy of the 1927 is also two volumes, with English and Hebrew columns on each page.

I would also recommend the software called Bibleworks.  One of the things you can do with it is look at multiple translations at the same time, stepping through them verse by verse.  It has both the 1927 and 1991 JPS translations as well as the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NIV, NAB, etc., and the Lenningrad Codex of the Greek New Testament, the Masoretic Text of the Hebrew Scriptures, the Septuagint, and the Vulgate.

Very interesting, thanks for the recommendation.