Work Problems And The Christian Response?

des

Not sure where to post this, but this was a rough week at work. (You'll see this is not really in the off topic group-- keep reading). I work in the same room as the union rep. He's a wonderful guy. But the thing is I am hearing all the union stuff, and it's making my blood boil. The school is a very poor school ripped off on everything compared with other of the public schools (not saying much around here); it's run by a micromanager tyrant who is incompetent; and a day doesn't go by when there isn't some stupid b.s to deal with (excuse my French) (To quote my kids: " I didn't say nothin' miss". :-)) And some of you must have read my rants on NCLB.

So where does that leave me? Pretty angry, frustrated, coming down with a cold, etc. And I just had a hey wait a minute stop moment. Doesn't my Christianity have anything to say about this? Well I think it does...

So I got to thinking and the first thing i thought about is the Serenity Prayer. That wisdom thing, what a concept?!

Anybody else have thoughts about using their "faith" (I have trouble with this term-- but for lack of a different/better one) at work?

--des

I think that you have to be true to yourself. In other words, First, remember what you are doing there - teaching kids - and do that to the best of your ability; with love and compassion and hope that you are setting a standard for the next generation and anyone else observing... (futile, but we all need hope!)

Second, observe... quietly. The less you talk and the better you do your job, the more people will listen when you do weigh in. People who rant all the time, no matter how appropriately, are usually ignored when real decisions are made.

Third, see the real issues of the difficult people you deal with. There is process (underlying meaning and emotion) vs. content (meaning of the words spoken) in all interactions. Much of the time people who are controlling are deeply afraid. If this person is incompetent, she probably knows it. She is afraid others will see and she will be... whatever - out of a job, laughed at, etc. So, be like Jesus. Help her. Be compassionate. It is hard to be in a job for which you are not qualified (yes, I know she should ethically quit :>) ; try not to judge, just help. Try again.

Be unfailingly (LOL) kind, compassionate, and thoughtful. Breathe. Pray for strength. Perhaps this is a time of progressive christian discipline for you. Perhaps this is a chance to "witness" what authentic faith looks like.

Then come here and rant... we'll listen and laugh with you! Good luck!

Des,

Whenever I sense that people around me are trying to pull me into their "stuff" I first recall one of Jesus' shortest sayings in The Gospel of Thomas, "Become passers by", and then try to objectify what's going on at a personal level. Banish all subjective judgements if possible.

Above all I view and treat the participants with sympathy and compassion, and continue to do my job as expertly as possible without taking emotional notice of what others try to make obvious to enlist my participation.

I believe Cynthia's advice is right on the mark in all other respects. ;)

>Be unfailingly (LOL) kind, compassionate, and thoughtful. Breathe. Pray for strength. Perhaps this is a time of progressive christian discipline for you. Perhaps this is a chance to "witness" what authentic faith looks like.

Be unfailingly kind. HAH! Well thanks for the advice. :-)

You know funny thing. But I was talking to my pastor re: my state of unemployment (separate but not entirely indivisible from NM :-)) and about "praying for work" and my feelings for the "prayer for" position. He said, "you might think about praying for where you are needed the most". Which is what I did. Well be careful with that kind of prayer, as it might just happen!!! And you might end up in (as my collegue calls it "the arm pit" of the district). But I am really enjoying teaching reading, think I am very good at it (modestly of course :-)), and see some progress in many of my students even now. I guess that's what it really IS about, isn't it?

--des

Contemplative prayer is so deep the waves on the oceans surface don't affect it, but it is so hard to dive deep when the waves keep pulling one to the surface. I guess that is why it is called spiritual practise. I get pulled out of the center time and time again, but am always welcomed back with open arms when I calm down. Des you are strong so you were placed there and will get stronger so you can go to even bigger challenges. The stream goes on either pushing aside stones or going around them in its path to the sea.

Be unfailingly kind. HAH! Well thanks for the advice. :-)

LOL!

But I am really enjoying teaching reading, think I am very good at it (modestly of course :-)), and see some progress in many of my students even now. I guess that's what it really IS about, isn't it?

Yeah. Sounds like you're blessed to me.

; ) lily

Lily, there are those days.... And gosh what a day this one was. :-}

This was one of them that I spent time discussing why you would not tell your boss to f*** off a lot more than I spent it teaching reading... HS can be so much fun. At least it's not middle school......

--des

Lily, there are those days.... And gosh what a day this one was. :-}

This was one of them that I spent time discussing why you would not tell your boss to f*** off a lot more than I spent it teaching reading...  HS can be so much fun. At least it's not middle school......

--des

My partner subs regularly at a local high school, so I hear the stories.

Who DOES work at the middle schools? I know that Michael was coming home feeling like he'd been run over by a mack truck when he spent several weeks at one of our local middle schools. He equates it to a day of riot control...90% of the energy, apparently, goes to restraining the "piss and vinegar" of the student and the rest is left for teaching...

...still, I'm proud of the work he does and I think "you guys" make more of a difference then you know...

lily

I teach at a middle school. I taught at a University in Seoul Korea and the Air Force in Iran, but I really enjoy the energy at MS even though I am old. These kids are richoceting off the walls, but they are honest because what you see is what you get. Being with them I find my weakness very quickly. Gibran says children are the teachers because they are fresh from the other side. In this case my students are my teachers so we are all learning. The test can be difficult.

Hah! Could I tell you stories. Well here's a nice one. I worked in a charter HS which had a whole bunch of drug offenders and petty criminals and many were in and out of "kiddie jail". I helped a couple of them write essays. They could chose their own subject so one of them selected "Why I hate parole". (BTW, this really shocked someone I know. But I say, you gotta get them where they are.)

Yes, I do like them (most of them anyway, to be honest it is really hard to like some of them!), and I like the just on the verge of adulthood thing about them. One of them brought a movie camera and was talking about wanting to do films. I told them that from what I have read I think that Steven Speilberg was ADHD (hyperactive), still is he's known as the multiple take guy. It's the kind of thing you just couldn't talk about with grade school kids.

A couple of my classes do the richocet off the walls thing. I'm not sure how much I enjoy that to be honest. They are pounding on the desks and that sort of thing. (Talk about ADHD! yes I have two or three in one class and I am a believer. :-))

OTOH, there are those times when you can sort of come to a truce and they can come over to your side for a bit.

--des