Interview The Person Below You

des

I wanted to answer the question on expensive hobbies. I had/have a hobby of saltwater fish. I don't guess they are quite pets as I dont' really have a relationship with them. But I don't feel they are things either. I used to spend hours and hours and very much money buying gizmos and critters for the tank, cleaning it, and keeping it running. It was a very cool hobby in some ways as you create (if you have a reef tank like I did) kind of mini-world which eventually becomes stable but not quite self-contained (needs food, periodic cleaning). I rarely thought of it in the same way I think of a regular hobby (I don't think I would have used the word "hobby"). I might have described it as a passion, or some other such term.

Funny thing though, I couldn't make ends with my tutoring and at some point I just could not afford it any more. I stopped all but the most minimal of maintance and stopped buying all but the minimum (no water changes, etc), and the thing is so damn stable it just refuses to die. It looks pretty awful with a type of nuisance critter growing everywhere, but the fish are very healthy. The shrimp, snails, etc. are healthy.

I have no idea what to do with it. It seems more trouble to take down, but it is an eyesore (I could sell all the stuff back to the store so nothing would need to die.

Ok, question for you'all:

Anyone else with a passion sort of hobby? If so, what is it?

--des

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>Anyone else with a passion sort of hobby? If so, what is it?<<

I have many, but one that is very important to me and influences everything I do is my art. What can I say? I'm an artist at heart. Generally, it isn't too expensive for me to do since my primary medium is pencil. But, it could potentially get out of hand financially if I really dove in to some bigger stuff. The most pressing issue is the time involvement. Admittedly, the longest I ever spent on a piece was 25 hours straight (which really isn't so long for a drawing). Something that I started doing some time back was contemplative mandalas as part of my prayer time. (I haven't done that for a while.) I also discovered the "stained glass" materials at Wal-Ma...that one really big store that I can't remember the name of right now. My current interest (as of last Thursday) is artistic enhancements of the sanctuary for worship.

'Nuff about me.

Question: What's the most important thing you learned from your mother/father/primary care giver?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - this thread is cool.

I am responding to the question about very involved hobbies.

I am a very active Amateur Radio Operator. I mainly use Morse Code, but sometimes use voice as well. I have made radio contact with every continant, every US State and Canadian Province, and many countries.

I have built radios and especially like to operate older radios that were designed with Vacume Tubes. I have set aside a room in my house as my Radio Room.

I have 6 Trancievers, 3 Receivers and 4 transmitters in operation at present.

I have been a HAM since I was 14. I have taught classes on Amateur Radio, and am currently under contract with IVY TECH state college to teach again this spring.

My Question: What sorts of Clubs, Lodges, Organizations do you belong to ?

• 2 weeks later...

My Question: What sorts of Clubs, Lodges, Organizations do you belong to ?

Hi Carl --

I am a member of Contemplative Outreach, Thomas Keating's Centering Prayer network. I facilitate a Centering Prayer group that meets once a week.

I'm also a (not very active) member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Knights of Peter Claver, a Catholic social / service organization. Kind of similar to the Knights of Columbus, except that it honors Peter Claver, a Jesuit who ministered to black slaves in South America.

I recently joined the Network of Spiritual Progressives after attending their flagship conference in Berkeley last summer. Check them out at:

http://www.spiritualprogressives.org.

There's a local informal women's spirituality group, Shekinah, that meets once a month for discussion and fellowship -- guess I should say "sistership." ;)

And I also go to a once-a-month Ken Wilber Meetup, where we discuss Wilber's integral theory and related ideas.

Lord! That's enough groups for one person, dontcha think?

:D

My question: Do you think of yourself as having a vocation or a mission? If so, describe it for us.

Thanks,

Mary

Edited by curlytop

And I also go to a once-a-month Ken Wilber Meetup, where we discuss Wilber's integral theory and related ideas.

I'd kill for a Ken Wilber meetup! Every couple months I seriously reconsider relocating to Boulder to join IU, but then I wonder what I'd do to buy myself things like clothes and food.

:)

Having a mission?

I consider it teaching reading. Now that I know how to do that, and think I am very good at it. I feel stiffled that I have to do that within a public school setting (need to earn money).

Ok, my question, I'm goign to ask the same one again-- anyone else feel they have a mission or vocation?

--des

Having a mission?

I consider it teaching reading. Now that I know how to do that, and think I am very good at it. I feel stiffled that I have to do that within a public school setting (need to earn money).

Ok, my question, I'm goign to ask the same one again-- anyone else feel they have a mission or vocation?

--des

Yes, I have a mission to change the world.

Question: How do you go about changing the world?

• 3 years later...

Bump!!!

What book have you read that has influenced your (spiritual?) perspective the most, and how?

I will have to put two: The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions (Marcus Borg and N.T. Wright) and The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris.

My question:

As someone enormously proud of my Scottish heritage, what is your family heritage?

Guess I have to respond to this since my grandmother was a Buchanan! Never been to Scotland, though my husband has and loved the people and scenery. My dad had an ancestor who was on the Jamestown voyage and then on the Mayflower.

What’s on your Bucket List?

The Bible is too easy of an answer. I do read the Tao te Ching from time to time. Could it be something I read on my laptop? If so, a CD complied by www.accesstoinsight.org calld "A Handful of Leaves: Readings in Theravada Buddhism".

Since XA already took the "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop?" I guess I have to ask something else.

Three part question/assignment

Part 1: Tell us about you first kiss.

Part 2: Tell us about your most embarrasing kiss (or attempt at)

Part 3: Tell us about your most memoriable kiss

• 2 months later...
what book do keep on your shelf to read over and over again?

I read all my books over and over. I have read the complete works of Dickens about ten times, maybe more. Jane Austen, perhaps the same. If a book is good I read it over and over. If it is not good, it gets passed on via a charity shop.

Three part question/assignment

Part 1: Tell us about you first kiss.

Part 2: Tell us about your most embarrasing kiss (or attempt at)

Part 3: Tell us about your most memoriable kiss ..

Too long ago to remember any of those. :D

Where would you go on holiday if you could go anywhere in the world, and who would you take with you?

Edited by Anglocatholic

Where would you go on holiday if you could go anywhere in the world, and who would you take with you?

I'd like to go to Iona. And, IF she wouldn't cause me any grief, and IF I knew she would be safe, and IF I could get her to use a leash, I'd take my cat. (She's my baby.)

What's the most "interesting" (defined by you as funny, intriguing, whatever) Christmas gift you've seen given?