Weird Christianity

thormas

Thank you, Thormas.  Quite a lot was touched on in that brief but broad article.  The needs for ritual, beauty, sacred spaces and unity in vibration.

There does exist a primordial God that draws people to itself.

12 hours ago, Burl said:

Thank you, Thormas.  Quite a lot was touched on in that brief but broad article.  The needs for ritual, beauty, sacred spaces and unity in vibration.

There does exist a primordial God that draws people to itself.

You make a good point. I agree there is a 'primordial' God that draws us to him (nice image btw). I also agree on ritual, beauty and sacred spaces but I no longer think of them in a traditional religious context. 

I remember going to a Protestant church in NYC with a friend a few years ago. It was a 'high' church' service and it brought back memories but they were similar to memories of my old childhood home and street -  fondly remembered but something I have grown beyond. And once the priest started his sermon, it was time to leave because it was 'old time religion' and, rather than draw me to God, it had the opposite effect.

I recognize that, obviously, not everyone in the Church had the same reaction but I also remembered the 'hunger' of many Catholics, many students, for God that was never satisfied by the theology that accompanied such services or filled the classrooms 5 days a week.

19 hours ago, JosephM said:

Each to there own that is presently speaking to them whereby they might in the end be lead to hear and see for themself.

While I agree - it does seem that progressives, like Spong, given his past comments and books (ex. Why Christianity Must Change or Die) would have 'issues' with 'weird' Christianity.

As I read it, this wierd Christianity is essentially pietist.  These are non-religious people who have spiritual experiences in religious spaces.

I would not be surprised to find a new monasticism has emerged as well.

3 hours ago, Burl said:

As I read it, this wierd Christianity is essentially pietist.  These are non-religious people who have spiritual experiences in religious spaces.

I would not be surprised to find a new monasticism has emerged as well.

I am not very familiar with pietism but will re-look at the article in that light.

My favorites were the Black Monks of Benedict, living in community but with an incredible spiritual and educational outreach to others. I wonder what a new monasticism would look like?

I imagine there are self-supporting cenobitic businesses operating sort of like American Shakers.

I can also see hermetic individuals.  The people interviewed seem headed this way, but Not enough info.

I wonder if that writer realizes this would make a good book.

14 hours ago, Burl said:

I imagine there are self-supporting cenobitic businesses operating sort of like American Shakers.

I can also see hermetic individuals.  The people interviewed seem headed this way, but Not enough info.

I wonder if that writer realizes this would make a good book.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I simply don't get hermetic individuals (unless it is temporary). One should not withdraw from the world but live in it. That's why I liked the Benedictines, they were always among us, their monastary was part of the campus.

Edited by thormas

11 hours ago, thormas said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I simply don't get hermetic individuals (unless it is temporary). One should not withdraw from the world but live in it. That's why I liked the Benedictines, they were always among us, their monastary was part of the campus.

I like the Benedictines because of, uh, Benedictine!  Just a splash and brandy becomes beautiful.

Hermetic monks are not bearded old guys who live in caves.  Just strong introverts.  I bet you can find a few in prisons and in high density urban areas.

56 minutes ago, Burl said:

I like the Benedictines because of, uh, Benedictine!  Just a splash and brandy becomes beautiful.

Hermetic monks are not bearded old guys who live in caves.  Just strong introverts.  I bet you can find a few in prisons and in high density urban areas.

I do like your humor.

Monks in prisons?

18 minutes ago, thormas said:

I do like your humor.

Monks in prisons?

I worked with the homeless for several years and at the Presbyterian street center the bible study classes were standing room only.  

C21 monks live under bridges and out in God’s wilderness under tarps.  Monk’s rooms are called cells, so why not teach the prisoner in the cell to be a monk?

It’s not exactly Mt. Athos or JtB, but I see many similarities and potentials.

8 hours ago, Burl said:

I worked with the homeless for several years and at the Presbyterian street center the bible study classes were standing room only.  

C21 monks live under bridges and out in God’s wilderness under tarps.  Monk’s rooms are called cells, so why not teach the prisoner in the cell to be a monk?

It’s not exactly Mt. Athos or JtB, but I see many similarities and potentials.

C21 monks?

But I also see why might be similarities.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, Burl said:

You never know, Grasshopper.  

Perhaps we can join when we are very, very old men: an elite monk force - sounds like fun.

My wife would not be pleased if I joined anytime soon.