PaulS

Discussing PC

8 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

I agree with you here too.

It also helps me get through all the ordinary things that I have to do in the course of a day, as well as some real and great spiritual moments. It's like being inside Christ and his Love as well as him in me sometimes. There's a real inner stillness that sometimes comes with this.

Can't say I know how to explain it real good

Few can, which is why it is rarely discussed here.  All we can do is share experiences.  

The only authors I feel have done an effective job of expressing this central aspect of Christianity are Thomas á Kempis and Meister Eckhart.  

3 hours ago, Burl said:

Few can, which is why it is rarely discussed here.  All we can do is share experiences. 

Thanks, it's actually good to know that I'm not the only one that finds this to be a challenge. I find that even putting "experiences" into words to be a challenge, and that it's difficult to articulate what I'm really feeling or trying to say.

3 hours ago, Burl said:

The only authors I feel have done an effective job of expressing this central aspect of Christianity are Thomas á Kempis and Meister Eckhart.  

I was logged on when your comment first came in, but this forum's software only allows me so many comments in a 24 hr. period, so I went and looked up Thomas á Kempis. It's too soon for me to have many thoughts on his writings and ideas. One thing kinda did strike me however, the publication that he is mostly known for is called, 'The Imitation of Christ'. This may all be very sweet and good and all that, but it kind of made me step back a bit. I've never thought I could "imitate Christ" any more than I could "imitate" Pavarotti  singing on stage. It's not that I don't appreciate Christ or Pavarotti , it's just that ... let's be realistic here.

All I can do is be myself, (or my true self) in Christ. I don't actually get to be like Christ, and I don't know if I'd want to be considering all the trouble he seems to have had.

I did however find a few quotes of his that I do kind of like: 

"If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned."
"At the Day of Judgement we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done." — The Imitation of Christ, Book I, ch. 3

I haven't had time to really look up and research Meister Eckhart either. But thanks for the names and the references. They may well prove valuable  in the future. Thanks

26 minutes ago, Elen1107 said:

Thanks, it's actually good to know that I'm not the only one that finds this to be a challenge. I find that even putting "experiences" into words to be a challenge, and that it's difficult to articulate what I'm really feeling or trying to say.

I was logged on when your comment first came in, but this forum's software only allows me so many comments in a 24 hr. period, so I went and looked up Thomas á Kempis. It's too soon for me to have many thoughts on his writings and ideas. One thing kinda did strike me however, the publication that he is mostly known for is called, 'The Imitation of Christ'. This may all be very sweet and good and all that, but it kind of made me step back a bit. I've never thought I could "imitate Christ" any more than I could "imitate" Pavarotti  singing on stage. It's not that I don't appreciate Christ or Pavarotti , it's just that ... let's be realistic here.

All I can do is be myself, (or my true self) in Christ. I don't actually get to be like Christ, and I don't know if I'd want to be considering all the trouble he seems to have had.

I did however find a few quotes of his that I do kind of like: 

"If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned."
"At the Day of Judgement we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done." — The Imitation of Christ, Book I, ch. 3

I haven't had time to really look up and research Meister Eckhart either. But thanks for the names and the references. They may well prove valuable  in the future. Thanks

Don’t get hung up on the title.  Both are old books.   Both are available for free on Apple and other public domain sites.  

Read like Proverbs or Psalms.  Just take a single thought and let it roll around in your head all day.

6 hours ago, Burl said:

Don’t get hung up on the title.  Both are old books.   Both are available for free on Apple and other public domain sites.  

Read like Proverbs or Psalms.  Just take a single thought and let it roll around in your head all day.

I've saved links to both of them. The other challenge will be finding the time.

That's a good idea: "Just take a single thought and let it roll around in your head all day."

Thanks

22 hours ago, Burl said:

Just being still and with God is better than any intellectualization.

22 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

I agree with you here too.

A thought: just as different kids, different people learn in different ways, so too, I suggest, people approach or find God in different ways, some in 'intellectualism.'

When I read, it is still and it is about discerning God with another's help (the author) and learning to use language to better understand and explain that which is too rich for words - but it is what we have. For me some authors are so good that the Word resounds powerfully in them and God is, if you will, revealed.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

17 hours ago, thormas said:

A thought: just as different kids, different people learn in different ways, so too, I suggest, people approach or find God in different ways, some in 'intellectualism.'

When I read, it is still and it is about discerning God with another's help (the author) and learning to use language to better understand and explain that which is too rich for words - but it is what we have. For me some authors are so good that the Word resounds powerfully in them and God is, if you will, revealed.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

I agree with you. We approach God in different ways. Intellectualism, spiritualism, intuition, even through our emotions and feelings. These are all good and valid and also interconnected.

I'm really glad and happy that you have found some authors and books that have really spoken to you and inspired you. For myself this hasn't really been the case.

Sometimes I feel I learn more about God by watching documentaries on evolution or the cosmos or quantum physics. I don't see these things as separate from God or faith at all. Sometimes I see little pieces of God in these things or that God is really working through all of them .

1 hour ago, Elen1107 said:

Sometimes I feel I learn more about God by watching documentaries 

I like some documentaries or lecture videos also. I saw the one you posted on Spong. I do miss his very active presence on the PC scene (although I didn't always agree with him).

thanks

3 minutes ago, thormas said:

I like some documentaries or lecture videos also. I saw the one you posted on Spong. I do miss his very active presence on the PC scene (although I didn't always agree with him).

thanks

I don't always agree with him either. But he's given  me enough ideas and insights that I can really appreciate him. He's one of my more favored writers from inside the Christian faith, so much so that it makes me feel bad when I do disagree. But I don't think he would want us to be going blindly along with him anyways. 

2 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

I don't always agree with him either. But he's given  me enough ideas and insights that I can really appreciate him. He's one of my more favored writers from inside the Christian faith, so much so that it makes me feel bad when I do disagree. But I don't think he would want us to be going blindly along with him anyways. 

Bold Emphasis added by me. I think that is very profound. It seems to me that doing so (blindly following) is what got us locked into what we now feel the need to be free from.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JosephM said:

Bold Emphasis added by me. I think that is very profound. It seems to me that doing so (blindly following) is what got us locked into what we now feel the need to be free from.

I definitely agree. This time the bold is added by me.

Thing is I would just love there to be something, anything, or someone, that I could just go along with all the time, or at least most of the time, and then I wouldn't have to think so much. Some book, some person,  even some poet or musician. But it's not to be.

Of course there's JC, but with just a spiritual connection to him, I don't know if that's giving me the same kind of thing. (< I definitely don't know how to word that).

Speaking of thinking too much, there's been a number of things that you and other people have written about today that I would have just loved to have commented on. But the fact is, I'm just too tired. Maybe I'll find those posts again tomorrow. I think I'm almost out of "allowed" comments anyways. 

Laters 🙂 

Edited by Elen1107