Sign in to follow this  
TC5669

Needed: Help In Florida!

Hello Everyone..

I am a newcomer to TCPC. I think the 8 point philosophy is terrific but wish it was more prevalent here in Florida (Tampa Bay Area). I moved here from Ohio approximately 5 years ago. At the time I was attending a very diverse and inclusive Episcopal Church, which I miss terribly!

Over the past two years I have been attending a wonderful church that is contemporary in worship style and music. I enjoy a church where I can be myself but also worship in an energetic, emotional, and spirit filled manner. Although it is a wonderful church, I don't feel as if they share the same inclusive, diverse beliefs as I do.

I am looking for any suggestions of a church that is inclusive yet contemporary...any suggestions

Any suggestions welcome!

I feel bad that no one has answered, but honestly there isn't prob. a good answer to this. Florida is not exactly the most progressive state (unless you are, say, in Key West, which is arguable not even in the US :-)). The other thing is that a lot of times progressive churches are smaller and tend to have to chose between contemporary and traditional worship (so pick traditional for the older members who support the church and have been there forever). I think your best bet due to size and so on are United Methodist, Presbyterian. USA, and Episcopal-- those are the ones with the contemporary services where I live, whichi is not a bastion of progressive thought either, though there are exceptions.

OTher progressive dem. to look into would be United Church of Christ, Evangelical Lutheran (yes I know what this sounds like), Disciples of Christ, etc.

You might also consider trying diff. traditional services. Some are more lively than others, depending on the congregation. Also you should think about who these people are and what they are doing in the world. I would definitely pick a traditional service with an active and progressive congregation than going to a contemporary fundamentalist one. But that might be my age.

--des

I realize I'm a bit late to your request for a church in Florida. (I just found this site today). Hopefully you have found a church home by now that feels like a good match...but if not, check to see if there's a Unity church nearby. They honor all paths to God and traditionally follow the path that Jesus taught. Some Unity churches feel very Christian (without believing that Jesus is the only way to God) and others may focus on the Truth of all religions. Hope this is helpful!

RevKitty