2) Beautiful wives

3) Eats disgusting foods

4) A liar and a cheat

5) Fancy hair

6) His enemies tried to bind him, but he broke their ties

7) Divorced his first wife

8 ) Enjoys riddles under 120 chr.

9) Prayed for and swore vengeance on his enemies

Can you guess who I am thinking of or do you need another hint?

Edited by Burl
  • Upvote 1

No, but you are getting warmer.  Of course it is a person in the Bible.  You know I shun politics on this board.

Earlier than Saul.  Judges 13-16.  The comparisons between Trump and Samson are fascinating.  Well worth re-reading this short story in the light of current events.

I’m working on a sermon but it is difficult.  The narratives keep upstaging the message.

Edited by Burl

8 hours ago, PaulS said:

No, I understand that.  My joke was that with my beliefs, I couldn't think of a man who could possibly be 'directly appointed by God'.  Clearly my humor is more cryptic than I hear it.

Maybe “Talent on loan from God” Rush Limbaugh?  🤣

I was hoping people would read Judges 13-16 and contribute a bit.  Most folks have heard of Samson but few have really read the full story and it’s a darn good one.

Fun fact:  Samson dies destroying the Philistine temple of Dogon.  There is a African tribe called the Dogon who believe their ancestors came from a particular double star system in Orion.  It was not until modern times that this particular star was proven to be not a single star but a double star system.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:13 AM, Burl said:

I was hoping people would read Judges 13-16 and contribute a bit.  Most folks have heard of Samson but few have really read the full story and it’s a darn good one.

Fun fact:  Samson dies destroying the Philistine temple of Dogon.  There is a African tribe called the Dogon who believe their ancestors came from a particular double star system in Orion.  It was not until modern times that this particular star was proven to be not a single star but a double star system.

I'd be happy to discuss Samson with you Burl.  What's your interest?

As for the Dogon, there is much skepticism around the claims that these people actually understood there was a second star apart from Sirius, prior to being told about it by modern astronomers (with the telescopes available to see such a star).  Check this out for a bit of counterbalance to the claims - https://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-01-13/

My reason was I invited the Progressive Christianity.org Facebook group as well as the Episcopal priest who directs this mission (and the other PC.org leadership) to participate in the forum.

I thought it best to have something active when they logged in, but unfortunately it seems nobody in Progressive Christianity.org wishes to participate.

Why do you think our active membership and participation have dwindled down to three active members and two administrators?  We are like Samson depilated.

10 hours ago, Burl said:

Why do you think our active membership and participation have dwindled down to three active members and two administrators?  We are like Samson depilated.

Online forums in general have been in decline since the 2000's.  Forums compete with other internet applications and things like online video, social networking, advanced traffic analysis and the drive to monetize, which has transformed the landscape.  Simply put, the proliferation of social media sites has caused a reduction in participation in online forums.  Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest - all of these and many others are more convenient for a number of people and I think overall forums are in decline.  Personally, I don't find the TCPC Facebook page as fulfilling as here and that seems to be represented by the lack of engagement there with the 22,000 or so 'likers' of that page.  But that said, it seems apparent that users there want to see something and read it, but not necessarily engage or get involved.

Demographically, it seems older users and retirees may be holding in there with forums, but they are in decline also.

That said, this forum only had 4 or 5 active members (including 1 x Admin) when I joined 9 years ago, so it has remained relatively steady.  Of course we have thousands of people each year who peruse the the threads, but which obviously choose not to participate.  

This forum isn't promoted or monetized in any way and our only advertising is a link that TCPC have maintained on their home page.  As Admin we have discussed it but are happy to simply provide the forum for those who may find its archives of use and if there are people interested in participating here, then all the better.

But unlike Samson, this is a real forum and not a myth thankfully! :)  I'm convinced many of the users who scour the threads but don't participate in the forum are getting something from here.

Kinda sad, really.  There is a potential for real mission work here, but you sound like a cemetery director.  I keep thinking about that discussion with the lesbians about the antitheses.  No other Christian forum I know of  could host an intelligent conversation like that one. 

What happened to Piriripi?  I tried to mail him and was told he cannot be mailed.

1 hour ago, Burl said:

Kinda sad, really.  There is a potential for real mission work here, but you sound like a cemetery director.  I keep thinking about that discussion with the lesbians about the antitheses.  No other Christian forum I know of  could host an intelligent conversation like that one. 

What happened to Piriripi?  I tried to mail him and was told he cannot be mailed.

I don't think it is sad at all.  There is no 'mission' here and people are free to come or go.  The progressivechristianity.org main site offers more in the way of a 'mission' and this resource offers a place to explore.  My personal opinion is that enough gets shoved down people's throat when it comes to Christianity, so I like to think of this place as somewhere where that doesn't occur and people can relax and seek their own answers.  'Potential for real mission work' sends a shiver down my spine because that sort of thing always becomes "somebody's" version of 'mission', which I don't think is a good thing.  Let God work it out eh! :)

What you don't seem to realize is that thousands of people are reading these threads every year.  There is clearly a space for people wanting to explore and read without wanting to be involved.  So your measure of the number of active participants tends to cloud your assessment, in my opinion.

No idea what happened to Piriripi.  If he can't be mailed perhaps he has done that of his own accord?

Tell me Burl - you have been an active member here for nearly 4 years.  What attracts you to stay with this forum and participating?  

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

I don't think it is sad at all.  There is no 'mission' here and people are free to come or go.  The progressivechristianity.org main site offers more in the way of a 'mission' and this resource offers a place to explore.  My personal opinion is that enough gets shoved down people's throat when it comes to Christianity, so I like to think of this place as somewhere where that doesn't occur and people can relax and seek their own answers.  'Potential for real mission work' sends a shiver down my spine because that sort of thing always becomes "somebody's" version of 'mission', which I don't think is a good thing.  Let God work it out eh! :)

What you don't seem to realize is that thousands of people are reading these threads every year.  There is clearly a space for people wanting to explore and read without wanting to be involved.  So your measure of the number of active participants tends to cloud your assessment, in my opinion.

No idea what happened to Piriripi.  If he can't be mailed perhaps he has done that of his own accord?

Tell me Burl - you have been an active member here for nearly 4 years.  What attracts you to stay with this forum and participating?  

Because it advertises itself as Christianity, so there is a need to stand up and speak out for Jesus just in case someone stumbles across the threshold.