Presidential Poll 2020

JosephM

2020 Presidential Poll  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My bookie isn't making huge changes but the odds seem to be drifting out for Trump.  Joseph, I wonder if you wait longer if the payout for Trump will get even better for you! Of course, Trump needs to win to make it a great payout though. :)  But I'm not saying he won't get there.  I think it's up in the air at the moment.

Hillary remains unchanged at $51 if you still favor your strategy, Burl.

image.png

Only in the trumpster's version of America do we have such nonsense:

Trump’s New Favorite COVID Doctor Believes in Alien DNA, Demon , and Hydroxychloroquine

The trumpster just can't accept that he was wrong on hydroxychloroquine and he (re)tweets a doctor whom he presents to the American people and when questioned says 'he knows nothing about her.'

Oh my god!

9 hours ago, thormas said:

Only in the trumpster's version of America do we have such nonsense:

Trump’s New Favorite COVID Doctor Believes in Alien DNA, Demon , and Hydroxychloroquine

The trumpster just can't accept that he was wrong on hydroxychloroquine and he (re)tweets a doctor whom he presents to the American people and when questioned says 'he knows nothing about her.'

Oh my god!

"It's just like the flu" "It's just like the flu" "It's just like the flu"

Why is it that people expect him to know what he's doing and to have access to the best medical experts in the country? Why is that?

As of today there have been 4,461,216 cases in the US according to MSN Gates Foundation

37 minutes ago, thormas said:

He does have access to the best medical experts..................he simply believes that he is brighter than them even though they didn't pay someone to pass admissions test for them. Odd??

What you're saying is really true. He made up a thing about injecting ultraviolet rays and disinfectant into the human body. In another news article he said he made this up right off the top of his head.

The next day different disinfectant manufacturers went crazy trying to let the public know that they should never use disinfectants inside the body. How many people heard them? How many people heard and believed the president?  

It's really sad 

6 hours ago, thormas said:

The trumpster is really sad and we all are worse off because of his ignorance and negligence.

Speak for yourself when you use the word "we all" 😛

On 7/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, PaulS said:

My bookie isn't making huge changes but the odds seem to be drifting out for Trump.  Joseph, I wonder if you wait longer if the payout for Trump will get even better for you! Of course, Trump needs to win to make it a great payout though. :)  But I'm not saying he won't get there.  I think it's up in the air at the moment.

In 2016  the polls were certain for a Hillary victory. A lot of people lost a lot of bets.    😛

Just have patience grasshopper and the silent majority will speak when its time. 🙂🙂

Seriously, who ever wins , wins.

Yet maybe this time it would be good for the Democrats to just eat crow and try to cooperate with the president instead of being so divisive after the election. 😄😃😄

38 minutes ago, JosephM said:

Speak for yourself when you use the word "we all" 😛

In 2016  the polls were certain for a Hillary victory. A lot of people lost a lot of bets.    😛

Just have patience grasshopper and the silent majority will speak when its time. 🙂🙂

Seriously, who ever wins , wins.

Yet maybe this time it would be good for the Democrats to just eat crow and try to cooperate with the president instead of being so divisive after the election. 😄😃😄

Actually it is the USA; it is we all :+}

Regardless of polls or who ultimately wins, the point has been indelibly etched in the soul of America: we are worse because of the trumpster.

It is not a question of crow, it is saying no to what is perceived to be, believed to be and is wrong. 

I liked neither candidate in 2016 and wished Trump well, hoping the incredible weight of the office would have an impact on him and he would be for us all.....and then he had to lie about the numbers at the inauguration. Really?...........and the tone was set, the hope dashed by the reality of this little, narcissistic man. Such a shame for what could have/should have been.

5 hours ago, JosephM said:

Well actually the majority spoke last Presidential election, but your electoral system doesn't allow for democracy to be that simple.

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Well actually the majority spoke last Presidential election, but your electoral system doesn't allow for democracy to be that simple.

Yes the majority of people but not States, and we are a republic, not a democracy. I'm fine with that as it makes for in my view  fairer representation for the States.

I pledge allegiance to the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands.

1 hour ago, JosephM said:

Yes the majority of people but not States, and we are a republic, not a democracy. I'm fine with that as it makes for in my view  fairer representation for the States.

I pledge allegiance to the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands.

Actually, you are a democracy, and a Republic.  The US is a republic that uses representative democracy to elect people to positions of government.  Interestingly,  in 2016, The Economist Intelligence Unit downgraded the United States from a “full democracy” to a “flawed democracy” in its Democracy Report, an annual study of the “state of democracy” around the world.  There were a number of reasons the nation’s rating fell, but one of the most important was the American public’s declining trust in government. Our system of government depends on citizens being able to freely elect leaders who will represent their interests. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. In a study published 2014, two political scientists found that, on average, the policies representatives pursue are not in fact dictated by public opinion. This is the mark of a flawed democracy/republic: election without true representation.

Allegiance to the United States of America or to the Flag of such?  I think your pledge says it is the flag that stands for the Republic.

Which is all fine - that's the form of governance the US has.  It just should be recognized that it doesn't recognize the majority necessarily and makes a nonsense of your statement that "the silent majority will speak when its time".  It seems your 'fairer representation' does not consider majorities, again which is fine, that's your system, but it is what it is.

..........bottom line is that the trumpster is a cancer on the country. His latest is just more of the same crap: still hawking his favorite medicine and a Alien DNA/demon believing doctor and then suggesting a delay of the election - not even in his power and shot down by all, including the Republicans.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:09 AM, thormas said:

..........bottom line is that the trumpster is a cancer on the country. His latest is just more of the same crap: still hawking his favorite medicine and a Alien DNA/demon believing doctor and then suggesting a delay of the election - not even in his power and shot down by all, including the Republicans.

Wads the madder, you don't believe what our presedent says . . Dat the pandemic is going "to just disappear" and by last "Easter" ? ? ? 

This is killing me.

Yes, it's important what people "do" to control the pandemic. But good leadership is also important, perhaps very, very important.

Look what happened in New York. New York City is the most densely populated city in the United States. It has like twice the population of LA and about half the territory/land. It has 4 major international airports in and around the city. The covid-virus had spread to Europe. In January, February and March, 30,000 people or more got off of planes from Europe, in New York. They got hit hard and heavy, back when no one had a clue how to handle this virus and when no one saw it coming.

The Governor of NY took the bull by the horns and lead the city and the state back to some sense of normality and sanity. 

Look at these charts. Look at the graphs in the center of the links showing how the pandemic is spreading in various states:

This is New York https://bing.com/covid/local/newyork_unitedstates?form=msntrk

This is California https://bing.com/covid/local/california_unitedstates?form=msntrk

This is Florida https://bing.com/covid/local/florida_unitedstates?form=msntrk

This is Texas https://bing.com/covid/local/texas_unitedstates?form=msntrk

This is the Country as a whole https://bing.com/covid/local/unitedstates?form=msntrk

To quote what the Governor of New York said recently, "This did not need to happen"

They stopped and controlled it in New York last spring. This did not need to and shouldn't be happening to the rest of the country.

It was the NY Governor Cuomo's leadership that stopped the virus and got it under control in New York.

It is Donald Trump's lack of leadership and foolishness that is causing the spread and the thousands of deaths across our nation. 

2 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

Look what happened in New York. New York City is the most densely populated city in the United States. It has like twice the population of LA and about half the territory/land. It has 4 major international airports in and around the city. The covid-virus had spread to Europe. In January, February and March, 30,000 people or more got off of planes from Europe, in New York. They got hit hard and heavy, back when no one had a clue how to handle this virus and when no one saw it coming.

The Governor of NY took the bull by the horns and lead the city and the state back to some sense of normality and sanity. 

Sorry to say but they probably have herd immunity by now and not because of a great job by the governor of NY. NY had 1685 deaths per million people. California had 234 per million people, Florida had 327 per million people, Texas 241 per million. The only one worse than New York was New Jersey with 1790 per million.

You can check my figures here as they are current as of yesterday.   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

There are even 2 states with more cases than NY but as far as deaths per population, NY and NJ are the worst.

38 minutes ago, JosephM said:

Sorry to say but they probably have herd immunity by now and not because of a great job by the governor of NY. NY had 1685 deaths per million people. California had 234 per million people, Florida had 327 per million people, Texas 241 per million. The only one worse than New York was New Jersey with 1790 per million.

You can check my figures here as they are current as of yesterday.   https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

There are even 2 states with more cases than NY but as far as deaths per population, NY and NJ are the worst.

Statistics are an interesting thing as one can play them in different ways.

Elen mentioned NY but then focused on NYC. Do I remember correctly that the vast majority of deaths were in NYC as compared to the rest of NY? And as Elen stated, NYC is uniquely different in that is is "the most densely populated city in the US."

Most people give incredibly high praise to Cuomo - and the Mayor(?) of Savannah has actually reached out to him for guidance in his own city. The Governor of Florida not so much.

p.s. if only the trumpster had not been so obsessed with Wuhan (and he still goes out of his way to call it the Wuhan virus as do his toadies) he might have done the ban on Europe before so many deplaned in NYC. 

1 minute ago, thormas said:

Statistics are an interesting thing as one can play them in different ways.

Elem mentioned NY but then focused on NYC. Do I remember correctly that the vast majority of deaths were in NYC as compared to the rest of NY? And as Elem stated, NYC is uniquely different in that it is "the most densely populated city in the US."

Most people given incredibly high praise to Cuomo and the Mayor(?) of Savannah has actually reached out to him for guidance in his own city. The Governor of Florida.......not so much.

Cuomo is called “The Grandma Killer” because he went against medical advise and forced nursing homes to admit C19 patients and caused excessive fatalities.

Here in Florida we had a high rate (60+%) last month but it was an error caused by labs reporting only positive results.  Now that is fixed and the positive test rate in my county is 4.9% with an average age of 79.9.  

C19 is essentially a danger only to the elderly in long term care here.  YMMV.

7 minutes ago, thormas said:

Elen mentioned NY but then focused on NYC. Do I remember correctly that the vast majority of deaths were in NYC as compared to the rest of NY? And as Elen stated, NYC is uniquely different in that is is "the most densely populated city in the US."

Get your facts straight Thomas. NY is not the most densely populated city in the US even if it was stated by ellen.

NY city ranks 6th in density

25 minutes ago, JosephM said:

Get your facts straight Thomas. NY is not the most densely populated city in the US even if it was stated by ellen.

I was quoting Elen..............and she was right. NYC is the city with the largest population in the USA. 😀😃

14 hours ago, thormas said:

I was quoting Elen..............and she was right. NYC is the city with the largest population in the USA. 😀😃

That's not what she said. Don't you read posts?

17 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

Look what happened in New York. New York City is the most densely populated city in the United States.

2 hours ago, JosephM said:

That's not what she said. Don't you read posts?

That's what I said. BTW if you have a problem with Elen's characterization, bring it up with Elen.

Seems like I read posts better than you understand the word 'however.' 😁

It should also be noted that there is a difference between, for example, NYC and NYC 'urban area.' Regardless I was focused on NYC itself, its population and the number of deaths.

17 hours ago, JosephM said:

even if it was stated by ellen

Who is ellen? Don't you read posts, don't you know whom you're responding to? As you said, "get your facts straight." 🙃

See...........anyone can play that game.

I suggest that if you have a problem or a difference with someone rather than slamming them, you state the issue clearly, for example the difference between density and largest population.

Elon mentioned the former while I the latter (and I took it that she meant the City itself). 

On 8/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, JosephM said:

No it's not "herd immunity". Health officials have reported on this, both at the NY Governor's news briefings and else where. Herd immunity requires an infection rate of at least 60% of the population, the infection rate, even in NY City is under 25%.

I don't know everything about the death rates compared to infection rates, but it's my understanding that death most usually occurs between 10 and 20 days after infection. This may be the cause of some of the disparity. I think I'd have to research it more thoroughly though.

23 hours ago, thormas said:

Most people give incredibly high praise to Cuomo - and the Mayor(?) of Savannah has actually reached out to him for guidance in his own city. The Governor of Florida not so much.

There's a few other cities and locations that the Governor has been reaching out to and helping out. The names escape me right now, but I have heard reports on them.

23 hours ago, JosephM said:

Well, if you're talking about cities with an area of about 1 square mile or less, sometimes much much less, and populations of like between 5,000 and 66,000 then you're right, but they still are all in the New York City Metropolitan Area, even if they are in New Jersey. 

By contrast New York City covers 302.6 square miles, and has a population of 8,175,133 people. I don't know if you've ever been there, but one needs to see it to believe it. It's like no other US city, the population density is intense and tremendous.

If one discounts Staten Island from the other NYC boroughs then the population density of the city can be seen as being much higher. If one just counts Manhattan, then that borough definitely has the highest population density of the entire country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population_density

----------------------------------------

I've watched most of Governor Cuomo's news briefings since March. What he did was implement a pretty tight shutdown, essential businesses only, and essential activities only, 6 ft. distancing, any closer and people need to be wearing masks, masks must be worn in the essential stores.... And what's amazing is that New Yorkers did it. They just up and did it - I don't know if you know anything about New Yorkers, but that really is something and really is/was amazing . . . Then he implemented a phased opening. I believe there are 4 or 5 phases. Not until each county had their infection rate down to right around 1% could they go into phase 1, and then they had to maintain that low rate for a certain time period to go into the next phase, and the same for the next and so on and so forth. 

All of his Corona-virus news briefings are available on YouTube, I encourage anyone and everyone to take a thoughtful and constructive look at them. If the rest of the country had been following such steps and measures we wouldn't be going through what we are going through right now.

This is not about politics, It's about saving American lives.

------------------------------------

Concerning the nursing homes, the states were ordered by the feds to readmit elderly people back into the nursing homes after hospitalization. If you want to blame someone, blame the feds, it's their guidelines and their orders. 

If the individual nursing homes couldn't isolate and properly care for their clients then they are supposed to report it, so other people and authorities could make accommodations for them.

Edited by Elen1107

On 8/1/2020 at 4:01 PM, JosephM said:

Yeah, but look at the death rates for just yesterday,... not the past 6 months.

Texas 268

Florida 179

California 137

New York  8

This is from your link showing the new deaths from yesterday, perhaps one needs to click on the 'yesterday' tab over the chart to get the full statistics.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm still trying to find detailed information on how long it takes for death to occur after one contracts the virus. It's proving rather difficult to come by. It also might be different for different persons and different infection loads.

19 hours ago, JosephM said:

Paul,

Here is an interesting article from CNN that make change your bet odds . 🙂

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/07/31/cnn-piece-on-what-critical-swing-voters-are-thinking-now-and-its-dynamite/

Well I can't really change then as they're not my odds, but the bookmakers.  As I said when I last posted about the odds and Trump's chances I said "But I'm not saying he won't get there.  I think it's up in the air at the moment."  So I don't disagree with the article.  My gut feel is that he won't win, but I'm not prepared to call it at this stage.