JosephM

Presidential Poll 2020

2020 Presidential Poll  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, thormas said:

A vote for the presidential candidate is a vote for his/her electors and they are 'committed' to that candidate/party.

When you say 'committed' is that by law or precedent?

What is causing the electors to give 100% of the electors' s votes one way or another?

I'm not sure how I can ask this question to get a direct answer.

I believe they are chosen by the party and thereafter committed to the candidate. So, logically, for example, they are Republicans, committed to that party and its presidential candidate so that is the only person they vote for. Not really sure about the law issue.

7 minutes ago, romansh said:

When you say 'committed' is that by law or precedent?

What is causing the electors to give 100% of the electors' s votes one way or another?

I'm not sure how I can ask this question to get a direct answer.

It varies by state.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Burl said:

It varies by state.

Thank you …  that is what I suspected.

The next question is can the various States change this so the is more representative of the electorates wishes?

That's all I've got. If you google it, all your questions will receive answers.

12 minutes ago, romansh said:

Thank you …  that is what I suspected.

The next question is can the various States change this so the is more representative of the electorates wishes?

Yes they can. 

The entire American system was based on state independence.  The civil war  screwed this up and started the trend towards a central corporatization.

4 hours ago, romansh said:

OK if I understand it correctly California Electors by law must cast all 55 votes in favour of Democrats if the Democrats win the popular vote in California? Or is this just precedent?

from wiki

Even though the aggregate national popular vote is calculated by state officials, media organizations, and the Federal Election Commission, the people only indirectly elect the president, as the national popular vote is not the basis for electing the president

Yes they  are required to in California to cast all 55 votes to the popular vote winner along with  28 other states with that requirement.

Others states follow  precedent . The electorates are from their party and not bound but  it is possible but rare that they would turn on their own party. Republicans and Democrats have their own electorate. If a Democrat wins popular vote only the Democratic electorate vote. But yes it is possible in certain states for him to cross over, just not very likely since they are chosen by the corresponding party. I was once chosen as an electorate in KY  but never voted because my candidate did not win. I was chosen by the candidate because i was a major donor in the party and they trusted me.

Yes the popular vote in that state is the basis for electing the president through the layer of a winning party electorate. 

Hope that helps

Edited by JosephM

Ok, so if I am looking at things from a completely faith based standpoint, at least 70% of our current leaders are corrupt and by old testament standard should be stoned to death for their slights against God by the community at large. But as I always say, ours is not to judge, that's someone else's job.

Either way we do not have a really good, honest, forthright candidate on either side. I will most likely write in my dog because she is all about love.

After Trump slammed Romney and people of faith in general during a "prayer" breakfast (Trump is only Christian in name, not in his actions) I lost what little respect I had for the man (which wasn't much). He is evil, self serving, self absorbed and puts a bad face on our country. Even after all I have said above, I still pray everyday for our Lord God to please show the folks in power Grace, Faith, Hope and Love and to behave as The Bible teaches us. Let's face facts, both sides are acting like elementary schools children having an argument on the playground. 

Vote your conscience, not your party.

~Faith, Hope and Love~

45 minutes ago, TheTechnician said:

(snip)

Even after all I have said above, I still pray everyday for our Lord God to please show the folks in power Grace, Faith, Hope and Love and to behave as The Bible teaches us. Let's face facts, both sides are acting like elementary schools children having an argument on the playground. 

Vote your conscience, not your party.

~Faith, Hope and Love~

Good point. I think the important thing is to wish the best for everyone that they as you say ...  might grow in grace, faith and love/compassion for others. (even IF the Bible taught differently which it doesn't)