God's Politics

des

Hi all:

I got to see Jim Wallis speak at the Network of Spiritual Progessives conference in Berkeley this past summer . . . he was great and the whole conference was excellent. Haven't read God's politics yet, but I do enjoy writings I have seen by Wallis in Sojourners and various other journals.

The Network of Spiritual Progressives is an ecumenical organization spearheaded by Rabbi Michael Lerner's Tikkun community. I encourage anyone who wants to participate in a political movement that seeks to form networks between progressive people of all faiths as well as spiritual-but-not-religious people to check out this organization! I guess I should actually start a thread about it. At any rate, there will be another meeting of this conference in Washington, DC, in February 06. If you're interested, go to www.tikkun.org.

At the Berkeley conference (and the DC conference will be similar) we had speakers / artists / groups like: Jim Wallis, Peter Gabel, Fritjof Capra, Matthew Fox, Carol Flinders, Holly Near, "Swami Beyondananda," Thandeka, Buddhist Peace Fellowhip, John Shelby Spong, Van Jones, Rami Shapiro -- in D.C. they'll also have Sister Joan Chittister!

Okay, sorry . . . I'll start another thread. Eventually.

:rolleyes:

B) Thanks for the heads-up. Network of Spiritual Progressives - http://www.spiritualprogressives.org/

Does anyone else find that many "spiritual" books are wonderful for the first half and repetitive for the second?

Oh yeah!

Matt Fox is an example similar to Wallis. I've seen Fox speak and met him during a workshop and he is so warm, engaging and wonderful. His books, otoh, can be a laborious (if rewarding) read. His last few books (except Many Wells) are much shorter.

At the Berkeley conference (and the DC conference will be similar) we had speakers / artists / groups like: Jim Wallis, Peter Gabel, Fritjof Capra, Matthew Fox, Carol Flinders, Holly Near, "Swami Beyondananda," Thandeka, Buddhist Peace Fellowhip, John Shelby Spong, Van Jones, Rami Shapiro -- in D.C. they'll also have Sister Joan Chittister!

Beyondananda? Seriously? :blink: What a name! Hehehehe.

Curly (Mary ;) ), did you enjoy Fox when you heard him speak?

I would LOVE to hear Joan Chittister speak. To bad I don't still live in NYC instead of way over here on the west. :( Too far and too expensive for me right now.

Hi Aletheia and all --

I loved hearing and seeing Matthew Fox -- very energetic and engaging! Wished I had a chance to attend one of his Rave Masses -- which I thought they were going to have at that conference but they didn't. :(

I would love to hear Joan Chittister too -- I'm a deep fan of her books, and I've always been so impressed to see her on TV interviews -- a strong and com/passionate woman! But DC is too far and too expensive for me too.

Swami Beyondananda is actually a Jewish comedian and ex-professor whose schtick is that he's a Hindu swami with pearls of punnish wisdom to bestow. He's an absolute hoot.

Thanks for posting the updated NSP link William!

Peace,

Mary

Edited by curlytop

Swami Beyondananda is actually a Jewish comedian ...

LOL! The name makes sense now. I KNEW it couldn't be serious. If it had been serious, I would have had to say that the person who would create such a "swami name" for themselves would have to be a bit nuts and a bit narcissistic. :P