The Meaning Crisis and Christianity

Burl

3 hours ago, Burl said:

Contemporary philosopherJames K.A. Smith in a wide-ranging conversation centering on Christianity.

Watched and enjoyed the 1st half although the guy is a little difficult to watch (but I still liked him). I thought they touched on important considerations in modern life like exhaustion and soul sickness and the failure of the new atheism and the search to replace religion, Christianity - with perhaps Christianity.

Was a bit troubled by his love of Augustine and he used terms like grace and the God who sacrifices without exploring those ideas (although that is not the express purpose of the discussion).

Whenever I hear words like grace, incarnation, immanence and divine sacrifice I ask for an explanation of how they see that at work. In their words how do they see God in the world. 

23 minutes ago, thormas said:

Watched and enjoyed the 1st half although the guy is a little difficult to watch (but I still liked him). I thought they touched on important considerations in modern life like exhaustion and soul sickness and the failure of the new atheism and the search to replace religion, Christianity - with perhaps Christianity.

Was a bit troubled by his love of Augustine and he used terms like grace and the God who sacrifices without exploring those ideas (although that is not the express purpose of the discussion).

Whenever I hear words like grace, incarnation, immanence and divine sacrifice I ask for an explanation of how they see that at work. In their words how do they see God in the world. 

I thought the comments about the failure of the new atheism were spot on as well.  

People are naturally intuitive, curious and creative.  Few crave a reductionist, cynical outlook.