Progressive Christian Devotionals

Theo-Maniac

I don't know if such books exist. But some of Matthew Fox's books have bunches of quotes from various people (everyone from Jesus to St. Francis to Meister Echart to...) on some general topic (creativity, via negativa, etc.). I think these are very good selections.

--des

• 2 months later...

I was looking at the one I picked up for my husband at church. I find the little one pagers to often be trite. I'm not sure that the cocept of a devotional fits in with people who recognize human needed as being more complicated than simple answers and a prooftexted piece of scripture.

Although I would certainly be interested in knowing if one exists or could be made, I'm not closed to the idea, just skeptical. ;)

Edited by October's Autumn

You know, while it's not necessarily what one would consider a "devotional," I highly recommend a book called The Kingdom Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings, by John A. Sanford, an Episcopal priest and Jungian psychologist. The book is basically a blow-by-blow exploration of highlights from the Gospel of John, from an "inner" point of view.

You know, while it's not necessarily what one would consider a "devotional," I highly recommend a book called The Kingdom Within: The Inner Meaning of Jesus' Sayings, by John A. Sanford, an Episcopal priest and Jungian psychologist.  The book is basically a blow-by-blow exploration of highlights from the Gospel of John, from an "inner" point of view.

I was just thinking of this book the other day! This was the first "Jungian" book that I ever read and it made a tremendous impact on me and ushered in a whole new time in my life as a Christian. It was through the influence of this book that I studied the works of Fritz Kunkel, who was Sanford's therapist, and whose book, "In Search of Maturity" blew me away! Are any of you familiar with the works of Fritz Kunkel?

anyway...I'm with Fred. Sanfords book is awesome.

lily

Books that I have used during my "search for understanding" are 1. Devotional Classics by Richard Foster and James Bryan Smith, 2. "In the Heart of the Temple" by Joan Chittister and 3. "Strength for the Journey" by Peter Gomes

Devotional Classics is 52 essays and sermons by the likes of CS Lewis, Thomas Merton, Henri Nouwen, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and many others. Many parts are quite conservative but worth a look.

In Chittisters book there are 16 short essays regarding many spiritual disciplines.

Peter Gomes' book there are 22 sermons about Themes of daily life and 18 sermons about Liturgical Seasons

• 5 weeks later...

For those with a contemplative bent, The Daily Reader for Contemplative Living is a good choice for a devotional reader.

It includes excerpts from the works of Thomas Keating, sacred scripture, and other spiritual writings, with a different series of readings for every day of the year. One short page for each day.

The readings have been compiled by S. Stephanie Iachetta and it's published by Continuum.

• 2 weeks later...

"For the Love of God"--A hand book for the Spirit--edited by Benjamin Shield and Richard Carlson has 25 original writings by The Dalai Lama, Mother Teresa, Sue Bender, Thich Nhat Hanh, Andrew Harvey, Harold Kushner, and many others. This serves as a very good Devotional for me.

"For the Love of God" gathers some of the most revered late-twentieth-century teachers in religion adn psychology to provide spiritual nourishment. :)

• 2 years later...