Bishop Spong On Pope Benedict

BeachOfEden

"I must state my conviction that this Pope's negatives. overcome all of his positives."

"I believe the most destructive aspect of this papacy was the deliberate war he, along with his chief enforcer of orthodoxy, Cardinal Ratzinger, waged on creative Catholic scholars. Holding tightly to an almost idolatrous claim that truth had been captured once and for all inside the infallible dogmas of the Roman tradition, this Pope began a process of systematic oppression of that church's creative scholarship. No one was allowed to think outside the box of imposed dogma or to press the edges of a real dialogue between an exploding world of knowledge and an ancient faith tradition."

~ John Shelby Spong

"I believe the most destructive aspect of this papacy was the deliberate war he, along with his chief enforcer of orthodoxy, Cardinal Ratzinger, waged on creative Catholic scholars....."

Wouldn't this be his view of Pope John Paul II then? Cardinal Ratzinger is Pope Benedict.