What Did Jesus REALLY Mean?

Davidsun

Hello Everyone - I have been away for a while - composing a treatise (turned out to be 88 pages) by the above name. I am not sure if this is the best place in the PC Forum to present it (wouldn't mind at all if admins decided to move it). Click here to download a pdf copy (no cost, no registration requires). I look forward to any and all discussion of my (non-traditional) view and understanding of Jesus and his teachings. Here's an excepted 'teaser' paragraph from chapter two to entice folks to download and explore what I present therein:

"What else could the truth alluded to by Jesus’ various statements: “Whoso­ever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it”, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me” and “He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” possibly mean then? This is something you may well ask, especially if you’ve been indoctrinated by literal interpretations of such sayings. Comprehension in this regard requires that one appreciate what Jesus himself understood the earthly dynamic of our Life-Source and, conse­quently, what he grokked the nature of his and everyone else’s personal Life  (which are expressions of and so only exist as a function of said Life Source’s Flow) to transcendentally be. What follows should come as ‘good news’ to anyone who has been disillusioned by growing awareness of the many ways in which the ‘app’ of rational logic is making it clear that literal interpretations of what’s said in The Bible are actually nonsensical. This doesn’t mean that  real truth isn’t figuratively referenced by Jesus’ statements, however. ..."

Edited by Davidsun
errata

• 2 years later...
On 7/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, Davidsun said:

"What else could the truth alluded to by Jesus’ various statements ..."

It's quite simple: Christ said that his God had taught him what to say- so the TRUTH is the words of the Almighty Himself!

On 7/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, Davidsun said:

On 11/30/2021 at 6:15 AM, theMadJW said:

It's quite simple: Christ said that his God had taught him what to say- so the TRUTH is the words of the Almighty Himself!

Of course, Jesus could be mistaken.  He may have fervently believed that even, but whether it is true or not is another matter.

10 hours ago, theMadJW said:

IF you believe the Bible it is so!

Yeah, nah.  Believing 'the' bible is like 'believing' a recipe book.  It is a conglomeration of a number of writings that somebody (or a group of somebodies) decided at some point would comprise of the single volume we now call the Holy Bible.  There were lots of different writings and ideas that didn't make the grade for one reason or another.  Even the OT references writings that we can't read today because they no longer exist, but they were important to believers at that time.  There is no shortage of people to tell me how I 'should' believe the bible, funnily enough, how they all believe the bible is different between themselves.  Yet no doubt they are all convinced that they have the correct understanding.

14 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Then you have not done deep research on the Bible.

Yeah, it seems lots of different Christian denominations will make that assumption about me when they have zero knowledge of what I have researched (Progressive Christianity much less so of course).  They clearly do so simply because I have a different view and understanding.  Of course I could say the same about you, but I'm guessing you have a pretty certain mindset that you already understand everything in the Bible impeccably, so where would that get us? What would be the value?   I would simply say, enjoy your certainty.

14 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Any Bible believers HERE?

Can you please define what you consider a Bible "believer"?  Can we clarify the rule set?

1 hour ago, theMadJW said:

The collect of books and letters believed to be sacred, and according to it, inspired of God.

Yes, but how do you define a 'bible believer'?  Do they have to believe every word of the bible literally?  For example, does a bible believer believe God wanted babies to have their heads dashed on rocks and acts of genocide committed in said God's name?  Or do you think a bible believer has room to interpret the bible based on their own understanding and learning?  Or do you believe other things about bible believers?  I'm asking if you can more accurately define or explain what you consider a 'bible believer'.

2 hours ago, theMadJW said:

Quit playing games- the passages containing symbols are PLAINLY stated.

I'm not the one playing games here, MadJW.  If you're going to ask the question if there are any 'bible believers' here, you should should at least be able to define what you mean by the term 'bible believer'.  Can more accurately define or explain what you consider a 'bible believer'.

18 minutes ago, theMadJW said:

Bible- the Bible (or 'little books')

Believers - ones believing

How much simpler do I have to break it down?

MadJW, I doubt there is a person here who doesn't believe in the bible.  We all know it exists, we see it for sale in bookshops, we read it, we talk about it.  We know it comprises of little books and letters and writings.  We believe it was written by people.  We believe it was formulated into a single book eventually and called the bible.  We believe in it as opposed to thinking it doesn't exist (like some people refuse to acknowledge the science of evolution for instance).

So I'm asking a question that goes much deeper than those basics - What does 'believing the bible' mean for you?  How do you describe one who is a bible believer?  For instance - Do you believe every word literally?  Do you think every story that's reported in the bible is actual history?  For instance, as I have asked once already, do you believe that God wanted Israel's army to dash the heads of babies against rocks?  Is that what belief 'in' the bible is to you, or do you consider belief 'in' the bible to be summarized another way.  Please - give defining what you call 'bible believers' a go.

1 hour ago, theMadJW said:

People truly believing the Bible.

SURE it has symbolism, I'm talking about people believing it inspired by God.

This is where you seem to run into difficulty - which bits of the bible should people believe are symbolism and which are historical fact or accurate portrayals of a message?  Who decides for you what is symbolism and what isn't?  What do you mean by the bible being 'inspired' by God - are you saying every word was like dictated by God to the writer, or is God inspiring the writer to write a myth or story, or is God inspiring the writer like dictating actual events?  

A good example for me, and one which you seem unprepared or unable to address, are some of the atrocities attributed to God in the Bible.  Acts such as genocide, abortion, rape, and killing babies - do you consider these stories actually God wanting these things to happen, or are they writers God has inspired to write a pretend story, or are they just myths and tribal storytelling?

'Bible believers' is just a catchphrase to me - most Christian denominations use it yet yet every denomination has a different take on it.  So I'm am trying to understand yours.

7 minutes ago, theMadJW said:

For example, who did Jesus say should be worshipped?

Himself?

I'll answer you after you answer my repeated question.  Do you consider the stories of the bible where God commands genocide, rape, and killing of babies as God actually wanting these things to happen, or are these writers that God has inspired to write a story, or are they just myths and tribal storytelling?