Sign in to follow this  
Dee

Your perception of God

Currently I perceive 'God' (I think that word carries a lot of baggage) as community spirit, our humanity, our sharing of this life together.  For me I don't believe in any supernatural or external God but believe that we are in God, in that there is no differentiation for who we are and what we do, to their being 'a' God.

Dee,

I perceive God as the substrate of "being" which while an abstract term fits well. Other words that to me fit well are All in All, in and through all things, All that IS,  and Creation itself. As Paul's post above i don't see God as external but in contrast i definitely see God as supernatural as in " a force or energy beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature" also as without locality .

Joseph

I have found meaning in Markus Borgs description of God as being “something more”

s

3 hours ago, murmsk said:

I have found meaning in Markus Borgs description of God as being “something more”

s

I have never read Borg, so the statemnt is meaningless to me.  Perhaps you could summarise?  

4 hours ago, Burl said:

I have never read Borg, so the statemnt is meaningless to me.  Perhaps you could summarise?  

I too am interested in murmsk's take on Borg.

Gregory Baum in Man Becoming also speaks of this 'more.'

Guest intuition
On 6/25/2019 at 9:23 AM, murmsk said:

I have found meaning in Markus Borgs description of God as beingsomething more

I can't speak for Markus Borg; my thoughts are .... Perception is the abilty to see, hear, or become aware of something through our senses. I have never felt that I saw or heard or sensed God through any of my 5 senses. I think (or feel) there must be something more; is this what people call the sixth sense? I believe that whatever this "more" is, is infinite, non-anthropomorphic and good. Does God have a personality? I like to think so.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, intuition said:

I can't speak for Markus Borg; my thoughts are .... Perception is the abilty to see, hear, or become aware of something through our senses. I have never felt that I saw or heard or sensed God through any of my 5 senses. I think (or feel) there must be something more; is this what people call the sixth sense? I believe that whatever this "more" is, is infinite, non-anthropomorphic and good. Does God have a personality? I like to think so.

I agree in that I too have never sensed God (through my senses) but I agree there is something more. Gregory Baum in his Man Becoming did a nice job on this in the 70s. He spoke of human language, that we all have the need to receive language (i.e. words) through and from others. We all stand in need, yet none own what they give. 

Baum goes on to say that there is 'something more' that is present in the word(s) we speak to one another. Human words provide information but they also call us to consciousness, challenge us, call us to grow, even judge us. Again, we all have this need to receive words: we give more than we have, more than we own, more than we are. Baum suggests we give God or, to reverse it, the Word that is God is spoken (can only be spoken) through creation. through us. There is no god in the sky, God is immanent in and through creation, in and through human beings, calling, challenging, judging us to Life. He says the same thing about love: all stand in need, and all must receive it from others, however none own what they give and all give more than they have, more than they are when they love. They give God or, to reverse it, the Spirit that is God, loves in and through us - giving us the courage to respond to the Word and Live.

So, for Baum, there is 'something more'  in ordinary, everyday life. We "see, hear, or become aware of" language and love, received through others.Then, Baum names the 'more' that is ever-present but easily overlooked.  

I never took it as a sixth sense, just an "aha" moment.

As for God having personality, although I no longer think of God as a person (Supreme or otherwise), Love seems always to be 'personal' - however we understand that when applied to Divinity.

Edited by thormas

It seems to me that although God is beyond the senses or "more" , at times a conscious connection is made that indeed triggers sense perceptions or feelings that resemble words or phrases such as 'perfect peace', a feeling of 'at homeness', a 'mental image or knowingness' that sometimes takes the form of words in our mind using our own limited vocabulary, a sense of 'non-locality', a feeling of 'love', 'joy' , etc. Perhaps it could even be described as an "aha" moment as you say or "something more". Yet in my experience,  the senses are definitely  involved in that connection.

Joseph

16 hours ago, JosephM said:

It seems to me that although God is beyond the senses or "more" , at times a conscious connection is made that indeed triggers sense perceptions or feelings that resemble words or phrases such as 'perfect peace', a feeling of 'at homeness', a 'mental image or knowingness' that sometimes takes the form of words in our mind using our own limited vocabulary, a sense of 'non-locality', a feeling of 'love', 'joy' , etc. Perhaps it could even be described as an "aha" moment as you say or "something more". Yet in my experience,  the senses are definitely  involved in that connection.

Joseph

Agreed