PaulS

The Real Jesus

“When you need something to be true, you will look for patterns; you connect the dots like the stars of a constellation. Your brain abhors disorder. You see faces in clouds and demons in bonfires. Those who claim the powers of divination hijack these natural human tendencies. They know they can depend on you to use subjective validation in the moment and confirmation bias afterward.”
David McRaney,

If my brain abhors disorder it would do something about the its workshop.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, PaulS said:

When you need something to be true, you will look for patterns;

This statement I think poisons the well a little bit. I personally cannot think of something that I need to be true. It is almost the reverse … the patterns point to something we might take as valid.

You see faces in clouds and demons in bonfires.

This may well be an accurate depiction of the brain's capacity. Personally I have never seen a demonesque shape in a bonfire. Believing the faces and demons as real requires some specialized conditioning, I suspect.

Those who claim the powers of divination hijack these natural human tendencies.

Quite possibly.

They know they can depend on you to use subjective validation in the moment and confirmation bias afterward.

That is why I am an agnostic. Or at least that is the confabulation I come up with.

I am not sure who McRaney's quote was aimed at or to what point?

3 hours ago, romansh said:

I am not sure who McRaney's quote was aimed at or to what point?

Not really aimed and probably not much point - I just thought it tied in a little with the cognitive bias that arises from the Dunning-Kruger effect that you cited.  Like that bias, we have other biases that arise, particularly when it comes to certainty about religious belief.